100 replies to this topic

#1 NAF

NAF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

Last night about 11 PM I was walking my dog, Cheif, and all of a sudden he stopped and proceeded to start licking his foot frantically . Then he started panting profusely and I noticed his eyes were dilated. I brought him in the house and started looking for a bite or anything that would cause him to react, his gums were white. At first I could not find anything , then we noticed a swelling on his back left foot. This same thing happened to JR years ago and I immediately gave Cheif a Banamine shot, 1 1/2 cc's. Years ago the vet I took JR to after his snake bite told me the only thing that would help at that point was a Banamine injection which we had done. Within about 20 - 30 minutes, Cheif stopped panting heavily, his eyes became normal, he stopped slobbering, and he was alert to what was happening around him. We applied ice packs to his swelling and that helped him become more comfortable. Scared us to death! Evidently because of the drought snakes are on the move, so be careful and be on the watch for snakes! Cheif is OK but still not 100%, I remember it took JR about a week to totally get over the snake bite. We think it was a copperhead. Jan

#2 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Interests:straight egyptian arabian horse breeder since 1967.
    researcher, author of 24 book puplications on arabian horses, the straight egyptian index and others,
    quarantine staton and manager okayed by florida depeartment of agriculture.

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:21 PM

Last night about 11 PM I was walking my dog, Cheif, and all of a sudden he stopped and proceeded to start licking his foot frantically . Then he started panting profusely and I noticed his eyes were dilated. I brought him in the house and started looking for a bite or anything that would cause him to react, his gums were white. At first I could not find anything , then we noticed a swelling on his back left foot. This same thing happened to JR years ago and I immediately gave Cheif a Banamine shot, 1 1/2 cc's. Years ago the vet I took JR to after his snake bite told me the only thing that would help at that point was a Banamine injection which we had done. Within about 20 - 30 minutes, Cheif stopped panting heavily, his eyes became normal, he stopped slobbering, and he was alert to what was happening around him. We applied ice packs to his swelling and that helped him become more comfortable. Scared us to death! Evidently because of the drought snakes are on the move, so be careful and be on the watch for snakes! Cheif is OK but still not 100%, I remember it took JR about a week to totally get over the snake bite. We think it was a copperhead. Jan

thanks jan, great advice. how heavy is cheif?- how much benamin per dog pound? does it work for all snake bites? what about a horse?
we have moccasins and ratlers, but i never saw one. bill usually does and our hawks/eagles take care of it.

thanks
hansi :hitbybat(2):
Hansi-Heck Melnyk
Serenity Arabian farms, Florida, USA

Posted Image

#3 curly02

curly02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

There is also an Innoculation available now which will also protect the dog gainst venomous bites....both of ours are now innoculated. They are only German Shorthairs and are always running with their nose to the ground. One was bitten on the nose. That is when we learned if the protective innoculation, the banamine will come in handy as well....Thanks Jan.
Joe Linzner
CA

#4 NAF

NAF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

Cheif weighs about 50-60 lbs. I gave him twice the amount of Banamine for his weight. My vet always gave me the instructions with the horses or cattle to give them twice the dose when it is an emergency. And of course, this always happens on a Sunday night! Jan

#5 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Interests:straight egyptian arabian horse breeder since 1967.
    researcher, author of 24 book puplications on arabian horses, the straight egyptian index and others,
    quarantine staton and manager okayed by florida depeartment of agriculture.

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:32 PM

There is also an Innoculation available now which will also protect the dog gainst venomous bites....both of ours are now innoculated. They are only German Shorthairs and are always running with their nose to the ground. One was bitten on the nose. That is when we learned if the protective innoculation, the banamine will come in handy as well....Thanks Jan.

what is the name of this innoculation? available here in the USA?
good against all bites? for how long is it good?
anything for horses too?

thanks
hansi
Hansi-Heck Melnyk
Serenity Arabian farms, Florida, USA

Posted Image

#6 NAF

NAF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

Don't give the Banamine IV, give it in the muscle! The last time I checked on the snake vaccine it was priced at 350 dollars for rattlesnakes. My vet said most people who have hunting dogs use it because where everyone goes hunting in South Texas, there are tons of rattlesnakes. The bird dogs are so expensive it is worth it it for the hunters, we very rarely come across rattlesnakes here where we live, it is mostly copperheads and moccasins, that is what bite JR, he was swimming in the pond, and he killed the snake. You will have to ask your vet about the vaccine, it may be worth it for dogs in Florida, there are a lot of rattle snakes in Florida. Jan

#7 razgold

razgold

razgold

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • Interests:Breeding quality Arabians for conformation, temperament and performance. www.lyndalearabians.com www.lyndalehalters.webs.com

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the tip on Banamine. Hadn't heard of that one. Does it work with cats as well. The first time my cat and I came across a snake bite it frightened me to death. I rushed her off to the vet thinking she was going to die. Coming from the UK you don't have venomous snakes there except one that you rarely see. Anyway the cat cost me $100 at the vets and then someone told me afterwards that she would have got over it after a couple of days. That was 5 years ago and she's still here. More the wiser though.

Sue.
Breeders of good quality Arabians that have temperament, conformation and performance. As well as being beautiful.
Lyndale Arabians

#8 Suellen Taylor

Suellen Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Dolls, Royal Doultons and Antique Costume Jewelry

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

Happy to hear your dog is ok..whew!

We had a snake problem in Florida with dogs...the most worrisome thing is kidney failure..they go very fast after that.

Scary!

TOP Of The Hill Arabians

Marshallville GA

Phone: 478-472-6141

Email: tophillarabs@windstream.net

The Gals:

Elegant Dahncer     Mahrdan x Kohlan 1995    Will stay with us for life!

Imdala El Jamaal         Dakharo x Imiella   2005    Bred to Marbeau Le Reve' (My last hurrah????)

The Guys:

Khalid Omar Khayal    GR Shadow x Khalia Spring 2005 (AKA Spunky Bruiser)  With us for life!

#9 NAF

NAF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:54 PM

Haven't had any problem with cats, they are usually so fast they can avoid the snake. Chief was chasing one of our cats when he got bit so I am thinking the cat was stalking the snake and Chief just accidently blundered into the snake and got the bite. It is hard to give a cat a shot in the muscle, but I would think it would work. They have really tough skin. Jan

#10 Tricia

Tricia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses top the list along with my dogs and activities geared to them. I love making halters and presentation sets - started out by making one for a foal and after a lot of encouragement from people who saw the set started making them - now it is a passion! I also enjoy swimming, reading, traveling and good conversation with friends and strangers alike!

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:02 PM

We have a lot of copperheads and also water moccasins and I guess some kind of rattlesnake - I have only seen a copperhead once and that was when it crossed the trail right under my horse!! A friend's horse was bitten low on the leg and she wrapped a cloth soaked in kerosene around the leg - seemed like a pretty harsh treatment to me, but it worked. Apparently the kerosene draws the venom out??

Tricia

Arabian Whimzy on my facebook page - http://www.facebook....89&l=a3600d83fd

#11 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

OK, Tricia... did you stop the horse or keep on going as the snake passed under your horse??

Thanks all, I'm new to TN and keep asking about what to do about snake bites or if you encounter one.. we had copper heads and water moccasins in Ohio, yet all my childhood running the woods and swimming in lakes never came across one that I know of. They just tell me to stay away and no good advise until now. Thanks!!

wonder if banamine paste works? guess would be better than nothing.

What about humans being bitten?

#12 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:pedigrees, sport horse, music, movies

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

Funny you should bring this topic up Jan.
I'm not fond of guns, they are loud & dangerous, so I've not got into target practice like maybe I should have - just to handle the rare occasion that you've got a bear gone mad or rabid fox, etc.

So yesterday I go into my upper pasture barn & laying on the hay is a relaxed copperhead - wrong place to be from his & my perspective. So I go back down to the house & get out the Smith & Wesson 357 magnum loaded with shot for the very purpose of destroying poisonous snakes.
Stand about 5 feet away & he's dead for sure after me firing about 5 times. It was pretty funny - the tip of the gun was swaying back & forth after each shot from my trembling body. But the deed got done & I did it. Took the shovel to the neck, heard the dogs could dig it up so secured the head in a discarded small yoghurt container & put it in a larger discarded yoghurt container & it's all in the trash - little pockets of neurotoxin.

Have since cleaned the gun & it's loaded again for the next poisonous snake that puts itself in my path. Maybe I can do the job in 3 shots the next time.
JacqueB

#13 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:21 PM

Are there any holes in that barn JacqueB?

I've always worried going out at night..no lights in barn.. maybe I'd better stop that practice.

#14 Suellen Taylor

Suellen Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Dolls, Royal Doultons and Antique Costume Jewelry

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:26 PM

If I am not terribly mistaken, copperheads travel in pairs..they usually mate for life, so beware...they scare me a lot..and I don't scare easily!

We have had all sorts of snakes living in the woods of Wakulla County, Florida...the most beautiful rattler I have ever seen..Dewey wanted to make a hat band and a belt out of him..LOL

Black snakes, rat snakes and black racers were abundant,,and of course, the water moccasins when we were boating, but they were nothing compared to the alligators..LOL

Here in Gerogia, I have seen the occasional rat snake..and a few little garden snakes, which the cats love to play with..but a snake is a snake..and I don't really care for any of them.

I am glad to have the cats in the barn..and when Tomi puffed up in the face, we looked all over for bites, as did the vet..even shaved his face.

You just never know what might happen with our beloved pets, do you?

TOP Of The Hill Arabians

Marshallville GA

Phone: 478-472-6141

Email: tophillarabs@windstream.net

The Gals:

Elegant Dahncer     Mahrdan x Kohlan 1995    Will stay with us for life!

Imdala El Jamaal         Dakharo x Imiella   2005    Bred to Marbeau Le Reve' (My last hurrah????)

The Guys:

Khalid Omar Khayal    GR Shadow x Khalia Spring 2005 (AKA Spunky Bruiser)  With us for life!

#15 Tricia

Tricia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses top the list along with my dogs and activities geared to them. I love making halters and presentation sets - started out by making one for a foal and after a lot of encouragement from people who saw the set started making them - now it is a passion! I also enjoy swimming, reading, traveling and good conversation with friends and strangers alike!

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:38 PM

Georgia, I didn't even notice the snake until my friend who was slightly behind me called my attention to it!! We just kept on going - my mare paid it no mind at all - but she was always calm and easy going.

Every year I meet people who have been bitten by copperheads - they all say it hurts but they survive. I bought a snake bite kit to carry in my saddle pack - never had cause to use it.

It is my understanding that snakes feel your footfalls and will move out of the way to avoid you so if you are careful you may never actually encounter one. I like to keep my pastures mowed so there aren't good hiding places for them and I never just reach into a stand of tall grass or weeds without stomping my feet and then moving the tops of the grass/weeds.

Awhile back I posted about finding a large black snake right behind my back door one morning - steps were no deterrent - I had a huge patch of blackberry bushes behind the house that had become overgrown and invasive - my neighbor came over and cut most of it down and I didn't see the snake there again - but last week when I was mowing the back pasture I saw it again in the higher growth at the far end of the pasture. I actually had to stop and wait for it to pass in front of me into higher grass. I hope my mowing hasn't caused it to move off my property completely - where there are black snakes you don't find copperheads.

Jacque, you are a hoot!! All I have is a BB gun - don't think that would be much of a match for a copperhead!!

Tricia

#16 Tricia

Tricia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:46 PM

Georgia, where in TN are you?

Tricia

#17 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:pedigrees, sport horse, music, movies

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:04 PM

Are there any holes in that barn JacqueB?

I've always worried going out at night..no lights in barn.. maybe I'd better stop that practice.

Georgia,
The short answer is yes, you should stop that practice. Having said that. My upper barn pastures are truly in the middle of nowhere, I'm really entering into the forest habitat by going up there. And the snake was laying in the hay so it's not going to feel the stomping of the horse's hooves in the run-in shed on the other side of the wall. Definitely don't reach up for anything unless you can see right where you are reaching and survey where you plan to tread first before doing all your stuff where you might not be paying as close attention to your surroundings.
Copperheads are not aggressive, but neither do they give you warning that you are alarming them & they might feel like they need to defend themselves. In hot/warm weather they really like damp & dark areas, and, of course, they go where the food is - so if you've got mice.....
JacqueB

#18 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

Thanks everyone.. I will put out mice bait..ha!!

We had huge black snakes in Ohio.. one got into my house it was about as big around as my husbands fist and about 15 foot long.. he was a granddaddy.. sure wish we had video of getting that snake out of the house.. Every 4th of July I was on Black snake watch.. as they would come to the barn to shed and look for food. I had baby birds in a nest on my back deck and the two black snakes were heading that direction.. I took seven, (sp) the powder you sprinkle for bugs and spread it around the deck.. it really messed up their senses and they didn't cross the seven trail.. and went on and back in to the woods. We lived in Wayne's national forest in Ohio.
When we caught this snake in the house we took it down and let it go in a vacant farm. Then we were over run by mice. Goes to show he was earning his keep, but I couldn't sleep at night knowing he knew how to get into the house. So, we dealt with the mice.

I will walk alittle more heavily now..

I live in Manchester Tennessee, which is off 24 60 miles south of Nashville and norht of Chattanooga. We will be moving a little further south near Arnolds Air Force base.. many more trees there.

We had an agressive snake in our landscape around the house years ago.. think they had a nest.. the snake came out after my husband on the riding mower.. he just mowed it over.. I asked what if it was a good snake?.. and he said it is a good snake now!!! :)

#19 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:31 PM

We have a little boggy area that water settles at the new place in the pasture.  I worry it will or does have snakes near.. especially in the hot weather.I've heard having chickens keeps the ticks and snakes away.. I may just get a couple roosters if the case.

#20 NAF

NAF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:30 PM

Georgia, you will need some hens. get about 2-3 hens and a rooster. Jan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users