100 replies to this topic

#21 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:51 PM

But if I get hens.. that means babies!! and more chickens!! ;)

Ok, now I'm totally freaked out about snakes.

worried about my Lab and the boggy area too!! I'm sure he will want to play in it.

#22 Kathy Bailey

Kathy Bailey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:07 PM

Georgia, we had one of those large black rat snakes try to get into our house last weekend.
My husband opened the door to the basement workshop and it tried to go slithering in. He grabbed it and threw it and it ran away.

He's also telling me that he's thinking about getting chickens, so we'll see what he gets. I'd like them also for ticks and bugs.
The snakes don't bother me too much.

#23 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Interests:straight egyptian arabian horse breeder since 1967.
    researcher, author of 24 book puplications on arabian horses, the straight egyptian index and others,
    quarantine staton and manager okayed by florida depeartment of agriculture.

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

Georgia, I didn't even notice the snake until my friend who was slightly behind me called my attention to it!! We just kept on going - my mare paid it no mind at all - but she was always calm and easy going.

Every year I meet people who have been bitten by copperheads - they all say it hurts but they survive. I bought a snake bite kit to carry in my saddle pack - never had cause to use it.

It is my understanding that snakes feel your footfalls and will move out of the way to avoid you so if you are careful you may never actually encounter one. I like to keep my pastures mowed so there aren't good hiding places for them and I never just reach into a stand of tall grass or weeds without stomping my feet and then moving the tops of the grass/weeds.

Awhile back I posted about finding a large black snake right behind my back door one morning - steps were no deterrent - I had a huge patch of blackberry bushes behind the house that had become overgrown and invasive - my neighbor came over and cut most of it down and I didn't see the snake there again - but last week when I was mowing the back pasture I saw it again in the higher growth at the far end of the pasture. I actually had to stop and wait for it to pass in front of me into higher grass. I hope my mowing hasn't caused it to move off my property completely - where there are black snakes you don't find copperheads.

Jacque, you are a hoot!! All I have is a BB gun - don't think that would be much of a match for a copperhead!!

i am petrified of snakes and rodents. but we have blacksnakes and cornnakes and wont hurt them, they are not poisenous. they dont scare me either. we have no rodents, not even a field mouse.
i guess the snakes and birds take care of that.
we have no aligators in our big lake, nor around us. i guess they know they be eaten if they come about by some folks.
hansi
Hansi-Heck Melnyk
Serenity Arabian farms, Florida, USA

Posted Image

#24 NAF

NAF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:37 PM

Georgia, You are supposed to pick up the eggs and eat them! We have eggs from our Coco Marans and they are really fresh and good for you since chickens eat grass and natural things. no hormones. They keep the snakes away from the barn and eat bugs. Our chickens found a snake and were fighting over it pulling on it like a rope. Of course, it was long dead. They will even chase mice and kill them in the barn. I am so glad they keep snakes away from the barn, I am not a snake person. My sister catches them and takes them away several miles down the road and turns them loose. Jan

#25 Blue Pyramid Egyptians

Blue Pyramid Egyptians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:02 PM

Deleted per request

#26 Nancy Bourque

Nancy Bourque

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Riding and breeding Egyptian and Egyptian Related horses

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:01 PM

Well, after reading this I have discovered that I love living here in Canada, where we have cold winters and NO poisonous snakes..........
Nancy Bourque

Ibriz Arabians
Cornhill, New Brunswick, Canada
nmbourque@gmail.com

Ansata el Ibriz 1988 gr.s (Ansata Halim Shah x Ansata Rebecca) deceased
Imperial Dakilah 1990 gr. m (Ibn Safinaz x Imperial Mistilll) deceased
Nasula 1990 b.m (Rofann x Naufara)
Raja el Ibriz 2003 gr. s (Ansata el Ibriz x Ansata Omniya)
Ben-Adhem Omar 1995 gr. g (Ansata el Ibriz x SD Athena)
Dahr el Ibriz 2002 gr, g (Ansata el Ibriz x Dalise x Dalul)
Haalim el Ibriz 2009 gr. s (Ansata el Ibriz x Nasula)
Ibriz ben Adhem 2010 gr. s (Ansata el Ibriz x BKL Daari)

#27 Rebecca J

Rebecca J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:04 PM

Don't give the Banamine IV, give it in the muscle! The last time I checked on the snake vaccine it was priced at 350 dollars for rattlesnakes. My vet said most people who have hunting dogs use it because where everyone goes hunting in South Texas, there are tons of rattlesnakes. The bird dogs are so expensive it is worth it it for the hunters, we very rarely come across rattlesnakes here where we live, it is mostly copperheads and moccasins, that is what bite JR, he was swimming in the pond, and he killed the snake. You will have to ask your vet about the vaccine, it may be worth it for dogs in Florida, there are a lot of rattle snakes in Florida. Jan

Out here the vaccines cost about 18.00 to 20.00 each. The dogs have to be vaccinated twice in a 2 month period, I believe it is. It is good for Diamond Backs, & Timber Rattlers, but not as effective for the Mojave Greens. So the vet told me, anyway. I have 13 dogs, and the JRTs are pretty good about notifying me if there is a rattler around, at which time I grab a shovel and proceed to remove its head. I can't really afford the vaccines, although I gave them one year, but since we don't really see that many snakes here and our wages have been cut, I havent' given them to them since.
Trouble is, with the little dogs, if you can't get the antivenon into them fast enough, the bite will kill them. The antivenon is the pricey part of the deal, I think running around 500.00 or more per vial.
Rebecca

#28 Rebecca J

Rebecca J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:11 PM

Funny you should bring this topic up Jan.
I'm not fond of guns, they are loud & dangerous, so I've not got into target practice like maybe I should have - just to handle the rare occasion that you've got a bear gone mad or rabid fox, etc.

So yesterday I go into my upper pasture barn & laying on the hay is a relaxed copperhead - wrong place to be from his & my perspective. So I go back down to the house & get out the Smith & Wesson 357 magnum loaded with shot for the very purpose of destroying poisonous snakes.
Stand about 5 feet away & he's dead for sure after me firing about 5 times. It was pretty funny - the tip of the gun was swaying back & forth after each shot from my trembling body. But the deed got done & I did it. Took the shovel to the neck, heard the dogs could dig it up so secured the head in a discarded small yoghurt container & put it in a larger discarded yoghurt container & it's all in the trash - little pockets of neurotoxin.

Have since cleaned the gun & it's loaded again for the next poisonous snake that puts itself in my path. Maybe I can do the job in 3 shots the next time.

LOL! Oh, this is so funny! I once fired my 357 Magnum revolver at a pair of Timber Rattlers as they slithered away. Missed every shot, almost hit my own foot. (Thank Goodness I missed!) I heard ringing in my ears for a week, and couldn't hear a thing for a couple hours. I still haven't target practiced with that thing. Dang if I want to go deaf again.

Rebecca

#29 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:58 PM

In central western Ohio in the town we lived in Plain City, we had a burglar that would come in when you were home and duck tape you up and steal everything you had. So, my husband got a 357 magnum.. I said, I want to learn to shoot that so I know how it feels and what to do. So he took me out back, and I shot at a target (pile of junk).. I fired off 3 rounds. "hey, this is easy" no problem.. I pulled off the 4th round and my butt hit the ground as he had put 3 regular bullets in there and 3 wad cutters, or nasty bullets whatever they may be called. He said I could not have timed it more perfect on my surprise statement of how easy it was to fire. He was on the ground rolling around laughing so hard.. trouble is he didn't think about the 2 other wad cutters in the chamber!! :th_hehe: I did, but he lived to see another day!! :bigemo_harabe_net-03: :1233_hand_clapping: Later I realized my wheel barrel was behind the junk pile and had 3 nice holes in it.. must have missed once.. at least the rain water didn't stand it it anymore!!

The neighbor came over and said, "we shouldn't have any trouble after your target practice" the whole county heard we had a magnum! Between that and the wolf looking German Shep. we had.. no trouble.

Ok, I'm getting chickens.. i will pick up the eggs and eat them :th_fencers: .. but I have a friend that the free range chickens started nests in the woods and any other place and then all of a sudden she had 50 chickens.

Them thar black snakes can be agressive too! just don't ever poke one to get it to move faster.. it came right up the rake at me..harmless black snake or not, I peed my pants. Giles is much braver than I am Kathy and you had the piece to get rid of it, I know you did..of course holes in the house are not acceptable. I would have won $10K on the funniest video's if we had had a camera of our snake out of the house adventure..

#30 GA Donatella

GA Donatella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:My horses (girls) of course, gardening, reading, crafts.. and did I mention chores and more chores !! I love all the horse activities available in the Lexington area; there always a show or something horse related to go to in the summer. <br />

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:32 PM

If a snake slithers in my house he/she's the new landlord !! I'm outta there until it is.. my aunt put in a pet door years ago for her little lapdog and a copperhead came through it into her house. It took her kids a couple days to find it hiding. That's the stuff nightmares are made of for me :1233_hand_clapping:

People say how black snakes etc are ok because they're not poisonous.. well they have fangs - that's enough for me to go the other direction !

Thanks for the info about banamine- I have never heard of that either.

Georgia get a rechargeable spotlight to go to the barn after dark- I use one and look everywhere before I can turn on the lights.

Sandra A.
Lawrenceburg, Ky

Home of:

GA Donatella gm ( Ansata El Halim x GA Alis Dream ) SE Al Khamsa
Yermeh Rozette bm (Orzelladdinn x Yermeh Druzette ) 86% Polish Related

#31 Tricia

Tricia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses top the list along with my dogs and activities geared to them. I love making halters and presentation sets - started out by making one for a foal and after a lot of encouragement from people who saw the set started making them - now it is a passion! I also enjoy swimming, reading, traveling and good conversation with friends and strangers alike!

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

I didn't know that Seven would repel snakes!! I use it to contol fleas and ticks in the yard - last year I had such a bad flea infestation in the house from my Boxer that I started having reactions to all the stuff I was using trying to control it. This year there has been no problem at all, SO FAR. I thought about chickens but my dogs would make short work of them and my fence wire has big enough mesh that they could get through it - so they would probably be all over the neighborhood if any of them survived! I wouldn't mind having fresh egss, though.

Tricia

Arabian Whimzy on my facebook page - http://www.facebook....89&l=a3600d83fd

#32 GA Donatella

GA Donatella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:My horses (girls) of course, gardening, reading, crafts.. and did I mention chores and more chores !! I love all the horse activities available in the Lexington area; there always a show or something horse related to go to in the summer. <br />

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:07 PM

My neighbor in Tx had a bunch of Guinea's that took care of all the bugs except fire ants in my yard too.. they're alot bigger than chickens and you didn't have to mess with an ornery rooster ! I never seen any snakes there. If I wasn't close to a road here I'd get some.

Sandra A.
Lawrenceburg, Ky

Home of:

GA Donatella gm ( Ansata El Halim x GA Alis Dream ) SE Al Khamsa
Yermeh Rozette bm (Orzelladdinn x Yermeh Druzette ) 86% Polish Related

#33 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:24 PM

Well, I didn't know seven repled snakes either.. but as I said just about every 4th of July weekend I spent watching the black snake migration through my barn and yard.. I walked into the barn that morning and backed out faster.. there was a 8 footer.. he came out of the barn and started heading up towards the house.. I walked into the barn again to get a metal rake and backed out again as their were twins!! and he also came out of the barn about 20 mins later and you could tell he was hot on his brothers trail. I heard the birds chirping and new there were new babies in the nest on the porch.. I had seven in my hand.. and ran around the snake migration to the porch and started sprinkling all the way around and then went on the porch with my rake in hand.. and sprinkled it down the back of the porch .. thank goodness as they tried to go that way.. both went all the way around it and couldn't find a way through it.. and gave up the idea of dinner at my house and headed on to the woods on the other side of the house. I was very glad to see them go and find food elsewhere. If I can find the picture of one sunnying himself in my flower bed I will post it.. they are pretty !! egads..

saved birds.. can't find pic of snake.. will keep looking

Attached Files

#34 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:26 PM

OK, if you come upon a Rattle snake do you stand still and pee your pants or run like hell?

What do you do if you dog or horse gets bit by a rattler? at least in the mean time while your waiting on life flight??

What do you do if you get bit??

I've determined I won't die from a copperhead, so that is good news.

#35 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:29 PM

Kathy,
Bill kept a long PVC pipe in the garage for herding the occasional black snake from the garage.. sometimes you just have to throw it at them to get them moving... a leaf blower works for getting them out from behind your stuff.
block anyplace you don't want them to go.. hopefully.

from experianced black snake shufflers.

Georgia and Bill

#36 NAF

NAF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:38 PM

My chickens are bigger than guineas , guineas are good watch dogs, I used to have some but couldn't keep them. They have that distinctive "pot rack" that turns into another sound when strangers show up. I got tired of feeding the blasted coyotes. Jan

#37 Trish aka JMO

Trish aka JMO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:40 PM

Crikey....and they say we have snake problems in Australia. Like the Guinea fowl idea and they do seem to work well, friends of mine have them. I have some chickens, got to love those fresh eggs each day that's if you can beat the dogs to them, seems they also think they taste good and I have a rooster although so does the neighbour and now have a early wake up call at 5am each morning as mine one and the one next door have their daily sound off !! It's not nice after a late night to have such an early wake up even on Sundays !!
I have two little foxies that have done a great job of keeping snakes out of the back yard and away from the kids , they did one year round up a brown snake just feet from my back door, a long handled shovel took care of that , funny thing was the neighbour who has lived here for well over 25ys said he never saw a snake close to the houses ( we have native forest out the back ) you should have seen his face when I showed him the dead snake I kept in a bucket to show him....I don't think he would have believed me if I had not shown him. Summer makes me real jumpy and I never walk any where with my head up...eyes are always on the ground !!

#38 SF Arabians

SF Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:31 AM

Well, after reading this I have discovered that I love living here in Canada, where we have cold winters and NO poisonous snakes..........

Sorry Nancy but we do have a poisonous rattlesnake in Ontario...the massasauga.
Scott
SF Arabians

#39 ponygirl

ponygirl

SLC CAMELOT FARMS advanced member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts
  • Interests:My interest mainly focus on my children and horses. Single mom of three grown children. I discovered my first arabian in 92 and have been hooked since. I have spent my life with many breeds and Arabians are the best. Their beauty never ceases to take my breath away

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:47 AM

thanks for the information. I had no idea about giving it for snake bites
SLC Camelot Farms
Sherry

#40 curly02

curly02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:53 AM

does anyone know the mechanism of antivenin action that banamine use introduces, that allow it to mitigate damage from and seriousness of a venoumous snakebite? Does it work on humans??? Being with horses we always have banamine handy. So if bitten it can be administered post haste.
Good info!

Interesting article and apparently current.

http://www.loomisbas...attlesnakes.pdf
Joe Linzner
CA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users