15 replies to this topic

#1 janessa

janessa

Secret Oasis Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

My friend rescued a purebred Arabian mare many years ago. Just recently she asked me to help determine what her freeze brand meant so she could look up her heritage. She was able to find that she is registered as Surinda, I think mostly Polish and she is 24. But her brand starts with an H instead of the A that means purebred. What would the H mean??..

#2 phanilah

phanilah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:41 PM

Are you sure it is an "H" and not an "A" that lost part of its top? [the A on the mark has a square top and 1 leg shorter than the other...for half Arabs it is flipped on its side - sorry if I'm telling you something you already know]. :th_hehe:

Any chance of getting a picture?

Beth
si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes

#3 janessa

janessa

Secret Oasis Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:00 PM

I'm not sure.. I will have her send a photo so I can post it.

#4 Cara

Cara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:07 AM

Here is some info on how to read them:

http://www.kryokinet...gle_Symbols.htm
Standing at stud: Imperial Shahmon (Ansata Shah Zaman x AK Monareena)

http://www.imperialshahmon.com

#5 janessa

janessa

Secret Oasis Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

Thank you for the link Cara. Didn't see any H's lol. Maybe it Is an A that faded... I can't remember what it looked like and she hasn't sent the photo yet..

#6 ZandaiJasoor

ZandaiJasoor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:23 AM

It's possible the marking didn't take on the top part of the A, I've seen them not take on the middle bar for some odd reason. It all depends on the technician doing it and the conditions.. you have to rock the irons to make them set clear. I'd be interested in seeing a picture when you get it, but I'm with the others, I'd be willing bet it's just an A that didn't take completely.
Donna Sabatine
Century Oak Arabians
Deatsville, AL

Proud Guardian to Zandai Jasoor (Zandai Ibn Omar x Glorieta Saqlima)
2003 SE Stallion, silver dapple grey, pure in strain Dahman Shahwan

FreezeMark.net
Kryo Kinetics USA Region 6 Technician
"The Alpha Angle System of Horse Identification"

*Ask me about permanently tying your Straight Egyptian to their pedigree and identification information. Let's cut down the number of Arabians lost from their papers through no fault of their own! *

#7 janessa

janessa

Secret Oasis Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:58 AM

After studying the info she gave me in the link I too believe it was an A at one point and I can't remember what it looked like on the mare. I think she has forgotten to send me a pic lol. As soon as she does I will post it.

Donna I'm sure the answer to my question has been posted elsewhere but I am a bit rushed now: how much does it cost to get a freeze brand? I would be interested in doing that to my mares and their future foals. And will their be any clinics in TN again within the next year or so?
Thanks

#8 ZandaiJasoor

ZandaiJasoor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:41 AM

The freeze mark itself is $135 and that includes the identification worksheet, pictures, measurements and the marking itself. The only other cost would be mileage but if you had a bunch of horses being done we could negotiate some on that. I haven't planned any trips to Tennessee but if you have a group of people that want their horses done I'd be more than happy to arrange a trip up :68416045.wGDPMlLK.popcorn:

Here's a picture of a brand new marking... they are indented initially then swell, the marking will go down over the next few days and the hair will grow back in white, or not at all on a grey horse so the black skin shows through. To me, this is a very important tool for Straight Egyptian breeders that want to ensure their horses are never lost from their registration information.

Remember this is a brand new marking, still wet with alcohol and still indented. But it will give you an idea of what the A is supposed to look like on a purebred Arabian.

Posted Image

This is what it will look like (with the appropriate symbols of course) once it's grown back in and we have foal irons so that babies can be done and the marking not be HUGE on them as they get older.

Posted Image
Donna Sabatine
Century Oak Arabians
Deatsville, AL

FreezeMark.net

*Ask me about permanently tying your Straight Egyptian to their pedigree and identification information. Let's cut down the number of Arabians lost from their papers through no fault of their own! *

#9 janessa

janessa

Secret Oasis Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

I would probably wait until we have at least 2 foals to go with our 2 mares. Thanks for the photos!

#10 ZandaiJasoor

ZandaiJasoor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:21 AM

Now scheduling a trip to the Atlanta area to freeze mark some horses there. See post in Discussion forum... pm me if you're in the area or anywhere between Atlanta, GA and Montgomery, AL and are interested in having this done! :wacko:
Donna Sabatine
Century Oak Arabians
Deatsville, AL

FreezeMark.net

#11 ponygirl

ponygirl

SLC CAMELOT FARMS advanced member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts
  • Interests:My interest mainly focus on my children and horses. Single mom of three grown children. I discovered my first arabian in 92 and have been hooked since. I have spent my life with many breeds and Arabians are the best. Their beauty never ceases to take my breath away

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:56 AM

whats the cost to freeze mark horses?
SLC Camelot Farms
Sherry

#12 ZandaiJasoor

ZandaiJasoor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

The cost is $135 and that includes all paperwork and the identification workup as well as pictures and the marking itself. What a bargain for a lifetime marking that never needs to be redone or renewed :th_cheer:
Donna Sabatine
Century Oak Arabians
Deatsville, AL

FreezeMark.net

#13 oli

oli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:08 AM

Freeze Brands are not longer allowed in Germany for reasons of animal protection. But itīs now prescribed to chip all foals. I think that is a better alternative.
Oliver Seitz
Arabervollblut.de

"A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do" (Walter Bagehot).

#14 Century Oak

Century Oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

animal protection? That's a new one. What is the reasoning behind this?
Mental Meanderings Of A Barn Goddess

Guardian still to: Zandai Jasoor (Zandai Ibn Omar x Glorieta Saqlima) & Impress Rissala (Imtaarif x Zandai Om Roda)

Donna Sabatine
Kryo Kinetics USA Licensed Technician

Now serving Southeastern USA as well as South Central USA

#15 Ray

Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses. Breeding Straight Egyptian, Classical Spanish and Golden Cross.

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:09 AM

animal protection? That's a new one. What is the reasoning behind this?

:5298_orcspash: cruel and unusual punishment?

#16 Century Oak

Century Oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:01 AM

Nah, doesn't work on me. I've freeze marked horses with no sedation and nothing but a towel over their heads. Hot branding is far different and arguable for cruel and unusal.. but freeze branding or marking? Sorry, done a couple hundred horses since I became a tech and other than the odd one or two that were just big pusses (including one of my own!) it's typically right back to the hay pile and it's over and forgotten with very quickly.

There are so many drawbacks to microchips.. up to and including the fact that they can move. I've seen horses just freshly chipped so you KNOW where the little bugger is supposed to be and after multiple scans being unable to find it. Along with the fact that they are not a visible means of ID.

Just a soap box of mine :)
Mental Meanderings Of A Barn Goddess

Guardian still to: Zandai Jasoor (Zandai Ibn Omar x Glorieta Saqlima) & Impress Rissala (Imtaarif x Zandai Om Roda)

Donna Sabatine
Kryo Kinetics USA Licensed Technician

Now serving Southeastern USA as well as South Central USA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users