ZAHRAN HAMRAH 2006 Grey mare
SHAMS FIDAT 2012 grey filly SKYLER the 1/2 Arabian pinto wonder horse

#22 Ray

Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses. Breeding Straight Egyptian, Classical Spanish and Golden Cross.

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:44 AM

Yes, those are mullen mouths but no, those are not what I use.

A mullen mouth is just a bit with no center joint. It's straight. Only works on the bars of the mouth, no nutcracker action. They can come covered in rubber, etc.

Posted Image

I use this bit because it is simple. It gets them used to carrying something in their mouth. It doesn't move, crack them, jingle, or otherwise cause the horse to be thinking about their mouth. They get used to carrying it quickly and we can move on with learning how to use our bodies and minds. They don't tend to mouth it or get foamy in it.

yeah, what she said...

Jeanette - I like the bosal best of all. I don't use a bit, unless I have to. Just put it on and go. I suppose there are some fruit-cake rules if you plan to show in bosal, but I don't know what they are. Anyway - every horse I ever put a bosal on just seemed to know how to respond correctly to light signals. Lorriee knows more about the bosal - and probably Chiron, if you can get her to say anything..

#23 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:50 AM

yeah, what she said...

Jeanette - I like the bosal best of all. I don't use a bit, unless I have to. Just put it on and go. I suppose there are some fruit-cake rules if you plan to show in bosal, but I don't know what they are. Anyway - every horse I ever put a bosal on just seemed to know how to respond correctly to light signals. Lorriee knows more about the bosal - and probably Chiron, if you can get her to say anything..

Thanks for the info on the bosal, Ray, but . . . the "fruit-cake-rules" say that a horse over 5 can't be shown in a bosal! I bought the darn thing and I still have it in the house! Tell me, what is the rationale for the thick rope "reins" and holding the arms out so far away from the body! I've seen that at the Nationals in the Junior Horse WP classes, and was wondering what that was all about!!!

And Amanda, I realize that I made a mistake in my post about the hunter horses. I MEANT to say that a Hunter should NOT be shown in a curb, only in a snaffle! I edited my post! Sorry for that! You were probably wondering "WTF"! LOL

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

All horses at Aimbri Arabians are SE and AK, and all mares and stallions are LFS, CA and SCID Tested Clear!
Colt:

Aimbri El Kaream (REA El Kaream+ x Tal Imdal by Imperial Imdal+) 2013 grey colt LFS, CA and SCID tested Clear.

Mares:

Tammens Nadira (Tammen x ADH Nadafe by Shukri) 1995 Bay  
Aimbri Ansarah (Aseffa Moniet by Rasmoniet RSI x Zahara Basharah by Ramses Maris) 1996 Bay
MB Faheena (Safeen x AK Bint Fatiha by Moniet El Sharaf) 1997 Ches. 
Aimbri Amira Matrabb (El Matrabb x Dorian Mon Amie by AK Na Moniet) 1998 Ches/Flax 
Aimbri Zaafinah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2004 Ches/Flaxen 
Aimbri Amurra (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2005 Ches. SOLD!
Aimbri Fawzia (Moon Sheine x Tammens Nadira) 2005 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Zakirah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2006 Bay SOLD!
Aimbri Amira Alia (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2006 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Bint Bint Matrabb (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb) 2011 Ches.

2 SE/AK Sweepstakes Nominated Chestnut Geldings by El Matrabb  SOLD! $
Aimbri Emir Hilal (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb by El Matrabb) 2007 Ches. $

#24 Ray

Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses. Breeding Straight Egyptian, Classical Spanish and Golden Cross.

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:02 AM

Thanks for the info on the bosal, Ray, but . . . the "fruit-cake-rules" say that a horse over 5 can't be shown in a bosal! I bought the darn thing and I still have it in the house! Tell me, what is the rationale for the thick rope "reins" and holding the arms out so far away from the body! I've seen that at the Nationals in the Junior Horse WP classes, and was wondering what that was all about!!!

And Amanda, I realize that I make a mistake in my post about the hunter horses. I MEANT to say that a Hunter should NOT be shown in a curb, only in a snaffle! I edited my post! Sorry for that! You were probably wondering "WTF"! LOL

Aren't you the one who chewed my a$$ off on theeothersite for mentioning how dumb it looks to hold the arms out like a goose coming in for a landing? You (or whomever it was) said you were training a student in that method and didn't want me to discourage them...or something to that effect.

Holding your arms out is a freakin' Midnight Cowboy trick, in my opinion. I have no idea how it got started - other than in Noo Yawk Cittee. The thick rope is another question mark. The Mexicans used braided leather or horsehair. Must be the "commercialization of Juan" setting in.

Anyway - just put it on and go. Pretend it's just a halter and lead rope. The bosal goes over the nose, just about the same as a halter would - not too low, not too high. The bosal does have a vice-like action on the nose and can hurt if you yard back on it too hard..

I think "show training" might be a whole 'nuther ball game?

#25 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:09 AM

NOPE, Ray that was NOT me! LOL I do NOT use my bosal and do NOT have any students! I don't know WHO would have "chewed yer a$$ off", but I WAS wondering what had happened to it! Now, I know! LOL

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

All horses at Aimbri Arabians are SE and AK, and all mares and stallions are LFS, CA and SCID Tested Clear!
Colt:

Aimbri El Kaream (REA El Kaream+ x Tal Imdal by Imperial Imdal+) 2013 grey colt LFS, CA and SCID tested Clear.

Mares:

Aimbri Ansarah (Aseffa Moniet by Rasmoniet RSI x Zahara Basharah by Ramses Maris) 1996 Bay
Aimbri Amira Matrabb (El Matrabb x Dorian Mon Amie by AK Na Moniet) 1998 Ches/Flax 

Aimbri Emir Hilal (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb by El Matrabb) 2007 Ches. $

#26 Ray

Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:22 AM

Well, it was a Canadian, I remember that much. I guess I can go look it up, to satisy myself that I'm not an Alzheimer case.

In any case, the "proper tack" is a function of the discipline and what has become "accepted" as a "requirement". Dressage can be ridden in any kind of tack, or none at all. But it just ain't right unless you've got the English saddle, tight pants and a jacket and hat - double bridle and gloves and whip and jack boots and...well, you know the rest.

The reason I like bosal is that it is closer to nothing at all. The horse is cued by body language and neck-reining. I don't like bits, or anything in a horse mouth to control it. But, that said, you just can't go some places unless a bit is in the mouth. So you train the horse to respond to body language and neck-reining first. The bit comes later and is not even needed or used for control - it's just there because somebody thinks it should be. All the "softly chewing the bit" and the rider having "soft and sensitive hands" are all functions of the bridle-and-bit folks needing to be able to observe an obvious and visual connection between rider and horse.

#27 shall

shall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Anabelle EFS
    Khidron
    Sakher+ 2014 USEF HA Training Level Horse of the Year, Region 11 HA SHUS Champion

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:08 AM

I have to disagree a bit on dressage, here, but I'm finding I mostly agree with the training requirements of getting your young horse working off your seat, etc.

When looking for a training bit, I knew that one of mine did not have a lot of space in his mouth, which is not uncommon. I also wanted something thick enough that it could be gentle for a beginner. I found a copper mouth lozenge snaffle, JP KORSTEEL Oval Link Copper Mouth Loose Ring Snaffle Bit, for < $25 which was a good starter bit for us. In the tongue area it was thinner, but widened toward the corners of the mouth.

The Korsteel is sort of a knock off of the Sprenger. Both have the lozenge which makes them more gentle in the mouth than plain snaffles, but keeps the snaffle's ability to work independently on a side of the mouth.

I probably could have done the starting with a bosal or some other method, too, if I had been trained. I did try a little S hackamore on my gelding and promptly had him over bend his neck during our rides, so had to drop that one. In my hands, it was not working. I also tried a thin dee snaffle on my young mare with bad results. She freaked one day and ran through it. It cut the corners of her mouth.

Once a horse was going well (became stronger plus primarily working from seat and legs), I switched to a pricier dressage specific snaffle (Sprenger) that was a bit lighter, thinner and prettier. (I ride dressage.) Dressage horses are ridden with contact and are given points for being relaxed and "through", so being comfortable in the mouth is a need. As a former hunt seat rider, this concept of good contact was one of the hardest for me to master when I returned to riding after a 30 year hiatus. It is probably why I spent a lot of time studying bits. LOL

A bit is just another language for your horse to master. At the rate I am going I won't be using a double bridle any time soon....
Sakher+ 2009 HAHR/RPSI gelding, Sinatra Song x Anabelle EFS
     Region 11 2014 SHUS and Training Level Champion
Anabelle EFS 2004 SE mare, Shahir IASB x Thee Debutante
Khidron 2001 SE gelding, Hawkeye CC x Lady Minstril

#28 carolynw

carolynw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:03 PM

My horses all start out in a French link snaffle with full cheeks(so it doesn't slide through the mouth). After several years(about First Level), I put them in a loose ring French link where they stay until it's time for a double bridle(Third Level now which in my mind is WAY too soon for a double bridle!).

Any well trained dressage horse can be ridden at Grand Prix in a simple snaffle. I watched Gail Hoff-Carmona ride Serr Maariner in one years ago:)

Carolyn
Carolyn Jacobson
Beaux Chevaux Farm
Alpharetta, GA
Straight Babson Egyptian Arabians

#29 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:40 PM

Holding your arms out is a freakin' Midnight Cowboy trick, in my opinion. I have no idea how it got started - other than in Noo Yawk Cittee.

Oh don't blame us North Easterners for that! Try ApHA, AQHA, PtHA, APHA ..... It's been a while since I was an active "onlooker" on those circuits but that's where I'm putting the blame.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#30 Zomorroda

Zomorroda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

The reason I like bosal is that it is closer to nothing at all. The horse is cued by body language and neck-reining. I don't like bits, or anything in a horse mouth to control it.

I am with Ray about the control thing... I am starting/restarting my girls with a knot halter. It works great. Zomorroda knows the bit from Egypt but she never liked it.
It is no problem to make them understand what the knothalter is about. The simple trick is to teach them the signals of the halter by groundwork first. When you start to ride them, they already know what the signs of the halter are about.

Sabine
Sabine

proudly owned by the three Straight Egyptian mares
Zomorroda Aal Hanafi (*2001 Khaled Sqr. x Helwa (Gad Allah x Arzak)) - imported from Egypt
Ghazaleh SH (* 2011 KP Maryoom x Zomorroda Aal Hanafi)
Har Karima (* 2005 NK Ibn Leyl x Kalifa El Nile)
and my wonderful White Shepherd
LUG

#31 whimzybeads

whimzybeads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:horses...of course, glass bead making, jewelry designing, camping and anything outdoors.

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:39 PM

A broken bit can be one of the harshest things you can put in a horses mouth, in the wrong hands. I agree with Amanda about starting in a mullen mouth. If fact, I really don't like a bit at all. I use a little Arabian s-hack and my endurance horse responds better to it than he does a bit. It uses three pressure points but there's nothing to "bite" him with. If you had told me a year ago that I could ride Tyler in an s-hack...I would have laughed till I wet myself.

Oh and I have heard that Arabs should not use copper in the mouth. I'll try and remember where I hear that but the reason behind this is that they are more sensitive than other horses and copper is too much in their mouth. Hmmmm
Krissa

Whimzybeads

#32 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:57 PM

I was at a Class A show in Alberta about 5 years ago. There was a horse there who had a bit with some kind of roller on it. In every class that horse was in, you could hear the roller rattle-squeak, rattle-squeak. It was really distracting and irritating. Not sure if that was the reason for it, or not! LOL Psych out the competition!

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

Colt:

Mares:

#33 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

Well, it was a Canadian, I remember that much.

LOL! Ray,there ARE more of us up here than just ME! There are actually 3 or 4 of us, ya know! Maybe even MORE!

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

Colt:

Mares:

#34 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

Wow! Thanks Heidi.

I'm going to start off by saying what horses I plan to show this year. What training they've had in the past and what I'm planning to do with them. What my goals are for this season, and so on. I'm now updating this as to what's happened since I first wrote it!

Aimbri El Matrabb - 2003 bay stallion. I trained him in halter as a yearling, and he was shown at the Class A level in 2004 and 2005, by me, in both AOTH and Open. I plan to brush up with his halter training myself. Hopefully attend a couple of clinics with him, and show him at the Class A level in halter. I have started with his performance groundwork training, and hope to do more with him with a view to having him started under saddle this year. This young stallion is now deceased. Sadly . . . the wind has gone out of me, somewhat, but I am determined to carry on!

Aimbri Amira Alia - 2006 Chestnut filly. I trained her in halter as a 2 yr old, and she was shown at the Class A level, and at the Western Canada Breeders in 2008. I plan to brush up her halter training, and start her performance groundwork training.

Aimbri Ansarah - 1996 Bay mare. This mare was professionally trained under saddle in previous years, and her training continued last season. She was shown to the Class A level in WP, by me, in 2005, and 2007. I hope to brush up her performance training, and show her under saddle at the Class A level this season.

Aimbri Ibn El Matrabb - 2000 Chestnut Gelding. This gelding was trained in halter and shown by my daughter and/or I in halter in 2001 and 2004 at the Class A level. He was professionally started under saddle in 2008/2009 and I hope to send him for some further training, and then show him in Sport Horse in Hand, and Sport Horse Under Saddle, and/or in Hunter Pleasure this coming season at the Class A level. I've made arrangements to take some additional SHIH classes and clinics with him.

Aimbri Zaafinah - 2004 Chestnut Mare. I trained this mare in halter as a yearling, but she was unshown, as the show was cancelled. She was professionally started under saddle this past year. I plan to send her out for more professional training, and show her in WP at the Class A level. This mare is now at the trainer, being trained under saddle. She is a Western Pleasure prospect, at this point.

And if this isn't enough . . . I also plan to start Aimbri Fawzia with halter training, and also start her performance groundwork training this season!

Any tips and encouragement that any of you may offer would be much appreciated.

So . . . what have the rest of you been up to this past month? Please provide an update.

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

Colt:

Mares:

#35 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:32 AM

Well, given the weather and footing is terrible, I haven't done much. I wish I had an arena. However, I've been riding my gelding, Bubba, here and there. We've been working on loose circles, walking and seated trot, reaching for the bit, getting his rear in line with the front - which has proved to be a bit of a task going one way - and other very basic green work to encourage forward movement willingly with relaxation. We've done some basic skills work for SHIH in the stance and working on more crisp handling in turns, stops, and starts. I've also done some trail riding with him and my mare, Leisa, when I feel inclined but those are only on the warmer days. We get to go however fast out there and just have fun. I hope to get more work done soon with the long lines / surcingle as I just got me a round pen yesterday :) I've also been working with my colt, Shiner, in SHIH basics. He's got the stance down pat, turns exceptionally well, but still needs clean transitions to the trot and needs to stop better. Pretty much, I'm not doing enough to be ready for a show but am doing enough to continue progress and get them ready for harder more pressing work in hopes of getting to one some day.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#36 janessa

janessa

Secret Oasis Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Jeannette I am terribly sorry about your stallion......

Good to hear updates though :) I have been doing a little in between work, snow, rain, ice and a busted knee. Did manage to bridle the coming 3 year old again, she was perfect, took it just like a pro and I used a Snaffle lol. Got rid of the other thing. Also managed to bridle my coming 5 y/o for the first time and did some work under saddle. So far so good.. Plan on going on a trail ride with Ma'at, the coming 5 year old, in the spring, so I want her Well under saddle by then.

My black mare is due to foal in Feb., so when she comes here after weaning the baby I can finally start her:)

#37 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:22 PM

Thank you, Janessa!

Glad to hear that you have changed to a snaffle. And also great to hear that it is working well for you. Keep up the good work!

Sorry to hear about your injured knee.

I was at the training barn on Sunday and watching how my mare is moving. She's still very green but looks nicely balanced under saddle, and has a good frame, moving well. I'm looking forward to the time when she is well enough started that it will be my turn to start riding her. That will, however, be at LEAST a couple of months down the road. I'll keep you posted!

How is everyone else progressing??

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

Colt:

Mares:

#38 Angella

Angella

Pied Piper of Hamelin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:42 PM

With Ali, I'm just working on making sure he stays a nice well mannered little man come spring and all those lovely lady aromas wafting in the breeze...

I've definitely noticed a difference in his behavior in the last month or two when it comes to the other horses. He no longer walks beside me... he arches his neck, puffs himself up, and dances along beside me like he's walking on springs... lol. Loose lead (except he does get ahead of himself a little once in awhile and needs to be reminded he's on the job) so not a problem for the most part. He also wants to stop and socialize more than he did before. I'd also like to teach him a little about standing for conformation shots before the photographer comes in the spring.

With BB, we're mostly working on getting the hooves in shape, then in the spring I'm planning to get her started under saddle and see how that goes. She is so incredibly gentle natured and easy going, it should be a breeze.

Sultan Court Arabians

Home of:
Stallions
Nejd's Alcahim (Masada el Bahim x GEA Alcia)

Mares
Nejd's Bintbint Tuhotmos (Masada el Bahim x AK Farah)

Adia Daal Aba (Sir Habbas Pasha x Fa Star Jasmine)

#39 janessa

janessa

Secret Oasis Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:03 AM

Thank you, Janessa!

Glad to hear that you have changed to a snaffle. And also great to hear that it is working well for you. Keep up the good work!

Sorry to hear about your injured knee.

I was at the training barn on Sunday and watching how my mare is moving. She's still very green but looks nicely balanced under saddle, and has a good frame, moving well. I'm looking forward to the time when she is well enough started that it will be my turn to start riding her. That will, however, be at LEAST a couple of months down the road. I'll keep you posted!

How is everyone else progressing??

Thanks about my knee, it is healing nicely and most of the pain is gone now.

Anticipating the first ride is such a cool feeling... What are you going to have your mare trained in?

#40 janessa

janessa

Secret Oasis Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:10 AM

With Ali, I'm just working on making sure he stays a nice well mannered little man come spring and all those lovely lady aromas wafting in the breeze...

I've definitely noticed a difference in his behavior in the last month or two when it comes to the other horses. He no longer walks beside me... he arches his neck, puffs himself up, and dances along beside me like he's walking on springs... lol. Loose lead (except he does get ahead of himself a little once in awhile and needs to be reminded he's on the job) so not a problem for the most part. He also wants to stop and socialize more than he did before. I'd also like to teach him a little about standing for conformation shots before the photographer comes in the spring.

With BB, we're mostly working on getting the hooves in shape, then in the spring I'm planning to get her started under saddle and see how that goes. She is so incredibly gentle natured and easy going, it should be a breeze.

I felt the same about my coming 5 y/o mare before I started working with her. I soon realized her calm demeanor didn't mean much. She is harder to work with than my "crazy" one who I wasn't looking forward to training. I hope it all goes incredibly well with your mare. :)

Due to the fact that my oldest mare was bred when I made the deal to buy her I haven't had the opportunity to spend much time with her until recently. She doesn't even like to be near people.. So that should be fun; Not lol.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users