multiple post

#42 Angella

Angella

Pied Piper of Hamelin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:32 AM

I felt the same about my coming 5 y/o mare before I started working with her. I soon realized her calm demeanor didn't mean much. She is harder to work with than my "crazy" one who I wasn't looking forward to training. I hope it all goes incredibly well with your mare. :)

Due to the fact that my oldest mare was bred when I made the deal to buy her I haven't had the opportunity to spend much time with her until recently. She doesn't even like to be near people.. So that should be fun; Not lol.

OH no!... lol

If BB wants to be a bag about the training, I suspect I'm in for trouble. Ali may be smart... but BB's smarter. Her breeder tells tales of her figuring out how to even open the beaner clips and let all the horses go for a walk.

Come to think of it... I bet that's why he sold her to me when he moved... lol.

Sultan Court Arabians

Home of:
Stallions
Nejd's Alcahim (Masada el Bahim x GEA Alcia)

Mares
Nejd's Bintbint Tuhotmos (Masada el Bahim x AK Farah)

Adia Daal Aba (Sir Habbas Pasha x Fa Star Jasmine)

#43 janessa

janessa

Secret Oasis Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

Lol! BB sounds very smart, at least she will catch on to things quickly ;)

#44 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:07 PM

Thanks about my knee, it is healing nicely and most of the pain is gone now.

Anticipating the first ride is such a cool feeling... What are you going to have your mare trained in?

Hi Janessa,

I went over on Saturday and watched my mare being worked again. She is improving. Moving nicely. Good frame and cadence. Smooth and balanced movement. She really looks nice under saddle. Still flipping her head a bit, though. She is being started in Western Pleasure. I've booked myself into the Carla Jackson Clinic for April, but . . . it's full, and I'm on the waiting list. Not sure which horse to take, if I DO get in. This mare, if she's ready, or . . . her mother (age 14) that I've been riding for a few years, but haven't been on since LAST April! LOL Or, I have a gelding started in Hunter Pleasure. Could go sport horse under saddle. Depends where they have room, or IF they do, in the clinic. If there is NO room for me to ride at the Clinic, I'll still go over and watch. Carla has had several Regional wins in a variety of disciplines, and some National Top Tens, as well.

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

All horses at Aimbri Arabians are SE and AK, and all mares and stallions are LFS, CA and SCID Tested Clear!
Colt:

Aimbri El Kaream (REA El Kaream+ x Tal Imdal by Imperial Imdal+) 2013 grey colt LFS, CA and SCID tested Clear.

Mares:

Tammens Nadira (Tammen x ADH Nadafe by Shukri) 1995 Bay  
Aimbri Ansarah (Aseffa Moniet by Rasmoniet RSI x Zahara Basharah by Ramses Maris) 1996 Bay
MB Faheena (Safeen x AK Bint Fatiha by Moniet El Sharaf) 1997 Ches. 
Aimbri Amira Matrabb (El Matrabb x Dorian Mon Amie by AK Na Moniet) 1998 Ches/Flax 
Aimbri Zaafinah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2004 Ches/Flaxen 
Aimbri Amurra (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2005 Ches. SOLD!
Aimbri Fawzia (Moon Sheine x Tammens Nadira) 2005 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Zakirah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2006 Bay SOLD!
Aimbri Amira Alia (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2006 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Bint Bint Matrabb (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb) 2011 Ches.

2 SE/AK Sweepstakes Nominated Chestnut Geldings by El Matrabb  SOLD! $
Aimbri Emir Hilal (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb by El Matrabb) 2007 Ches. $

#45 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

I went over to the riding arena yesterday to try riding again, for the first time in almost a year. It went well . . . but I must admit it was a school horse, and I just did walk/trot . . . like a kid starting out! LOL

I also watched my mare being worked, and was pleased to see her progressing. She has moved up from the bitless bridle to a snaffle, and seems to be doing fairly well. Still a bit spooky when the ice was sliding off the roof, but I must admit that the sound of that letting loose was startling, even to me and the solid horse that I was riding!

Oh, and about the Carla Jackson Clinic . . . I'm in! I will probably ride the school horse, though, as my back just isn't up to the challenge of the green mare!

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

All horses at Aimbri Arabians are SE and AK, and all mares and stallions are LFS, CA and SCID Tested Clear!
Colt:

Aimbri El Kaream (REA El Kaream+ x Tal Imdal by Imperial Imdal+) 2013 grey colt LFS, CA and SCID tested Clear.

Mares:

Aimbri Ansarah (Aseffa Moniet by Rasmoniet RSI x Zahara Basharah by Ramses Maris) 1996 Bay
Aimbri Amira Matrabb (El Matrabb x Dorian Mon Amie by AK Na Moniet) 1998 Ches/Flax 

Aimbri Emir Hilal (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb by El Matrabb) 2007 Ches. $

#46 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

Our "training board" has fallen off a bit! Come on you guys. SHARE how things are going! LOL

I went over to the arena again yesterday, to ride the school horse. This time I actually had a lesson and actually rode the horse. It was a fantastic feeling . . . on the inside! The outside aches a bit today, but it's all good! LOL

I also saw my mare ridden, and she is doing SOOOO much better. They've moved her up into a curb bit (she's 6 and has to be to show!) She is looking great under saddle. Not sure if she'll be ready for the spring show in June, but maybe . . . by July . . . . we'll see! So . . . I've moved her mama (my 14 yr old WP mare) into the barn and get her going again. Might be easier for right now!

And my gelding that's trained under saddle. I'm looking into doing some additional work with him, with an eye towards Dressage (planning to take some lessons) or Sport Horse Under Saddle, or, if my body can handle it . . . both!

Come on everyone . . . how are things going with your performance horses???? :1233_hand_clapping:

And my halter filly. She's been seperated from the rest for about 2 months. Getting some extra feed and extra TLC. She is SUCH a sweetheart! And . . . I've ordered a presentation set for her from Tricia. Also one for her daddy. So . . . I hope to get her shined up and out there to show it off. Will post photos later in the season once everything comes together!

So . . . get out there and enjoy your horses. Spring is just around the corner!

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

Colt:

Mares:

#47 janessa

janessa

Secret Oasis Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:58 PM

Good luck with your mare at the shows!! When are you going to the clinic? Glad to hear you have been able to get some riding in too!

I will admit I haven't done much with my girls. Shame on me... Thought about sending the 5 year old to a trainer this summer and I really hope I will still be able to. My 3 year old will not be ready to ride this summer, still growing a lot. Next week I am going to start really working with them if I can.

I did bridle the 3 y/o again the last time it snowed. Took her for a walk and she did great, likes to walk ahead of me though. She is wearing a pony sized snaffle still lol.

#48 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:00 PM

Hi Janessa,

Thanks for the update. This is so exciting. Wish more people would participate.

The Carla Jackson Clinic is in mid-April, so just less than a month. My mare that is in training won't be ready for me to ride her there!

Now that winter is almost over, it's time to get going with things. When the sun is shining, like it is today, and the snow is melting . . . I start thinking of showing! LOL

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

Colt:

Mares:

#49 janessa

janessa

Secret Oasis Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:30 PM

I do too! I have never shown but have wanted to for years. Time for me to finally get on the ball lol.

I hope you have a lot of fun at the clinic!!

#50 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:34 AM

Well, I've really only got 1 in training. Bubba has been progressing well for the little that he has been ridden. He has been out on 2 trail rides, trotted and cantered both times, worked the center and edge of the field, gaits all at my request and my speed with no resistance or difficulties relative to a new horse under saddle. In the ring, he recently had an amazing progression. He was very stiff going to the right but I have been working on that both in conditioning his good side and strengthening his bad side. He had begun almost ignoring my right leg pressure - so I started bumping him to wake him up - and it worked wonders. We finished off a workout doing figure eights and he flowed well into both corners with some anticipation but was corrected easily. He's really coming down onto the bit with almost no pressure from me and no half halting with minor finess - just leg pressure, drive and balance seem to be working. We haven't cantered "formally" yet in a circle. I want to get him better at the walk and trot before jumping into that endeavor. I feel he'll go well into the canter but want him to have enough education and confidence to do it well the first time.
Leisa is still a great mare to get on a hack around a field. She isn't well trained, but is well mannered and LOVES her walks. She could care less the others are screaming their faces off when she leaves. She sometimes puts up a mare fight but will do what you ask when she knows you really mean it.
I recently worked with Salma and got a saddle blanket on her. She's very trainable and almost looks at new things as a game versus a monster. She lunges well and even did it with a flapping white blanket on her that flew off a couple times. I did that on purpose to see what she would do. I rubbed it all over her with no issues. I think she'll be OK to break when we get there.
That's it. My husband is gone so I haven't been able to assemble my round pen despite "having" a round pen since January. Good 'ole lunging does the trick :Wine_glass_2:
I've got next week off so plan on doing some good riding and training. Hopefully I'll get some pics to share with everyone.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#51 janessa

janessa

Secret Oasis Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

Looking forward to those pics! Sounds like you are doing a lot of work with your horses too!

#52 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:44 PM

Looking forward to those pics! Sounds like you are doing a lot of work with your horses too!

Yes, I am constantly doing something even if it is something small like getting them used to clippers, or blankets, or lunging, or stand tying, or gun shots - well, that's my husband's job. They are all used to shooting now :bigemo_harabe_net-109: I hate riding in the winter because I hate the cold. The only place I ever have a desire to ride in the winter is an indoor arena, which I am without, so just enjoy them and play with them and ride whenever the mood suites me. Now that the weather is better, I will be doing more trail riding, am hoping to do a benefit ride in May, and other things of the sort. I'm hoping to attend a show or two. I do enjoy schooling and feeling them progress under me even if I don't show, so that's always going on here in the warmer months. Plus, I want horses my friends can get on go for short walks. I currently really don't have one of those so Bubba is going to be one some day. He just doesn't know it yet.
My mom also wants a riding horse so I'm prepping either Bubba or Leisa to do that. She won't go more than a few miles at a walk so it's not like it's strenuous. She just needs someone who won't bolt or throw a fit, and both are coming along nicely for that job. I've got some more testing to do: water, bridges, bushes etc but I think both will pass with flying colors. They are already used to the mud - but who's horses aren't after this winter?!?

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#53 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:52 PM

Well . . . just got home from the first day of the riding clinic. I had 2 - 45 min rides today. My mare in training was NOT ready for me, so . . . I pulled her 14 yr old mama out of the pasture on Tuesday, hauled her over to the arena, and had the trainer's servant girl put a ride on her on Tues, Weds, Thurs and Friday! This mare hadn't been ridden in over a year, but went beautifully for the trainer's girl on the earlier rides this week, and was wonderful for me today.

I have 2 more rides tomorrow, and hope to continue with lessons once or twice a week after that, with a view to showing her in the Class A shows in early June and mid July!

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

Colt:

Mares:

#54 Suellen Taylor

Suellen Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Dolls, Royal Doultons and Antique Costume Jewelry

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

Wow Jeannette...good for you! :5298_orcspash: Hope your weather was good..it is wonderful here.

Have more fun tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!

TOP Of The Hill Arabians

Marshallville GA

Phone: 478-472-6141

Email: tophillarabs@windstream.net

The Gals:

Elegant Dahncer     Mahrdan x Kohlan 1995    Will stay with us for life!

Imdala El Jamaal         Dakharo x Imiella   2005    Bred to Marbeau Le Reve' (My last hurrah????)

The Guys:

Khalid Omar Khayal    GR Shadow x Khalia Spring 2005 (AKA Spunky Bruiser)  With us for life!

#55 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:43 AM

The weather was horrific, Suellen! Wind warnings! What a mess my yard is in. Shingles from the barn and house all over the yard. My well-house was blown over. Semi's blown into the ditch, or jacknifed on the highway! The worst wind that I can remember for a long time, and today was the 3rd day. Yesterday was the worst!

And the arena was rattling and banging and swaying. My mare was SOOOOO good though! I was so proud of her. She usually does NOT like the wind, but she was trying so hard for me! :5298_orcspash:

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

Colt:

Mares:

#56 janessa

janessa

Secret Oasis Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:15 AM

Sounds like an exceptional mare Jeannette!!

Kate, I wish you the best with preparing for your moms mount. I planned a nice ride one year on my moms birthday on my best horse, a foundaition QH stallion who I could steer with my legs. He bucked her off and messed up her knee. I felt horrible. Haven't tried to get her to ride after that lol.

#57 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:06 AM

Thanks, Janessa! Yes, she was a really good girl. We're home now from the clinic, and she got a can of oats, and 1/2 can of crunchies for being such a good girl! She LOOOOVES crunchies! :)

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

Colt:

Mares:

#58 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:28 PM

Sounds like an exceptional mare Jeannette!!

Kate, I wish you the best with preparing for your moms mount. I planned a nice ride one year on my moms birthday on my best horse, a foundaition QH stallion who I could steer with my legs. He bucked her off and messed up her knee. I felt horrible. Haven't tried to get her to ride after that lol.

So so sorry to hear your good intentions went south! That's kind of my big worry. Bubba is the one that I came off of the other week. He startled and I wasn't paying attention, but it was pretty "big" for lack of a better way to put it. There was no bucking, rearing or running, just a big startle. We'll see. Thanks for the good wishes. He's quite good for a young and green horse. He just needs miles. I'm still thinking one of my broodmares might be better. She is unflappable and LOVES her walks. Who knows. An old, creaky horse may be in mom's future :)
Anyway, Bubba is really coming along nicely and I just changed his bit, which made a world of difference as I think the other bit was too big and was simply too much metal in his mouth. He would open his mouth a lot, and I ride from my legs forward not my hands back, so it isn't bad hands. He just didn't seem comfortable and I remember my vet saying he had a small mouth and jaw. I switched it to a narrow, 4 3/4 full cheek and holy crap, what a fantastic change. He was so much more with me and relaxed through the mouth after just one ride. Now if I could just figure out the stupid saddle fit :th_party0010: :hitbybat(2): :wacko: but that's another thread.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#59 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

Since the clinic, I've been hauling my mare over to the arena once a week to ride. She is going SOOO well. We are working on the finer touches for showing her in WP at the shows this season. There are 3 classes in each show that I may show in. WP Select ATR, WP AOTR and WP Novice Horse. There are 2 double shows (4 judges - 2 at each show judging concurrently)in June and 2 shows in July, all in Saskatoon - which is about 3 hrs north of here! We'll see how we do!

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

Colt:

Mares:

#60 janessa

janessa

Secret Oasis Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:00 AM

Who knows Kate, the old creaky broodmare may be the perfect match for your mom! Have you done any desensitizing with Bubba? My 3 y/o also has a tiny mounth. She is 15.3hh and wearing a pony snaffle lol.

Jeanette, I'm excited to hear how you do at the shows!! Please get photos! & I wish the best of luck!

Well I have been working with mine some too. Ma'at is proving to be a brat about being caught and saddled. But I am getting a new saddle in about two weeks b/c it may just be the saddle fit that annoys her? Hopefully thats all it is lol.

Ruby, my 3 y/o, is doing wonderful! When I got her as a yearling you could not touch her, and now I can bridle her while she is standing, halterless, in the pasture. She caught on to the basics of lounging in only a few seconds and is doing great with her desensitizing lessons. She is probably ready to start under saddle mentally but I want to wait till next year.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users