123 replies to this topic

#101 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

Hi Kate . . . glad you made it to the one show, and logged some time with your horses. I fear that we are in the minority. For many years, my mare has been the only SE at the shows I've attended. Occasionally there are a few Egyptian-sired horses, but less of those, as well.

Like you, I'd love to hear from others that are riding, training and showing their SE's under saddle! Maybe there are more of us in North America than we are aware of.
  • VanAlma likes this

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

All horses at Aimbri Arabians are SE and AK, and all mares and stallions are LFS, CA and SCID Tested Clear!
Colt:

Aimbri El Kaream (REA El Kaream+ x Tal Imdal by Imperial Imdal+) 2013 grey colt LFS, CA and SCID tested Clear.

Mares:

Tammens Nadira (Tammen x ADH Nadafe by Shukri) 1995 Bay  
Aimbri Ansarah (Aseffa Moniet by Rasmoniet RSI x Zahara Basharah by Ramses Maris) 1996 Bay
MB Faheena (Safeen x AK Bint Fatiha by Moniet El Sharaf) 1997 Ches. 
Aimbri Amira Matrabb (El Matrabb x Dorian Mon Amie by AK Na Moniet) 1998 Ches/Flax 
Aimbri Zaafinah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2004 Ches/Flaxen 
Aimbri Amurra (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2005 Ches. SOLD!
Aimbri Fawzia (Moon Sheine x Tammens Nadira) 2005 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Zakirah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2006 Bay SOLD!
Aimbri Amira Alia (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2006 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Bint Bint Matrabb (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb) 2011 Ches.

2 SE/AK Sweepstakes Nominated Chestnut Geldings by El Matrabb  SOLD! $
Aimbri Emir Hilal (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb by El Matrabb) 2007 Ches. $

#102 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:39 AM

They are out there, just not as common as we would like. It takes one to start, then another, and eventually we'll have more SE's out doing something whether it be a show or a competetive ride or team penning etc.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#103 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:02 AM

Well, Kate . . . it seems like it's just a handful of people across North America that are showing their SE's in performance competition.

I have one SE gelding in training for dressage, currently. And also my 2 SE mares that are under saddle in WP.

Any others out there???
  • VanAlma likes this

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

All horses at Aimbri Arabians are SE and AK, and all mares and stallions are LFS, CA and SCID Tested Clear!
Colt:

Aimbri El Kaream (REA El Kaream+ x Tal Imdal by Imperial Imdal+) 2013 grey colt LFS, CA and SCID tested Clear.

Mares:

Aimbri Ansarah (Aseffa Moniet by Rasmoniet RSI x Zahara Basharah by Ramses Maris) 1996 Bay
Aimbri Amira Matrabb (El Matrabb x Dorian Mon Amie by AK Na Moniet) 1998 Ches/Flax 

Aimbri Emir Hilal (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb by El Matrabb) 2007 Ches. $

#104 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:pedigrees, sport horse, music, movies

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

My body is not cooperating with my ideas of riding, but I have kept Hallie, my coming 5 yo SE mare in training with Caryn Switzer. She gets ridden 5 days a week, 3 on the trail & 2 in the ring. We've got her under lights for breeding Feb/March, but I've got my eye on taking her 40 minutes up the road to the Sept 2013 Sport Horse Nationals in junior hunter classes-Caryn's a hunter rider. We'll see if she comes along well enough to give it a shot & qualify-her pregnancy would be ~ 6 mo which should be fine. She's been ridden 5 days a week with Caryn since May & really showing some steady trot work.
  • VanAlma likes this
JacqueB

#105 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Jacque - love the pics of Hallie and what you're doing with her :)
Jeannette - There are people out there on SE's and endurance/trail seems to be something many are doing, but I don't think they all are on here. Wish they were.
As for me, I just rode Devil's Den on Bubba and brought a young rider who takes occasional lessons with me who rode (Sorta) Sultry. She is an enthusiastic young rider and I hope she comes out more often. She has lots of potential and it's nice to get 2 horses out. I think that's going to be my last real ride for the year unless I do some over the Christmas break. I have too much on my plate right now and I'm throwing a few out on 29 acres to just be horses for a little while.
I did break Yumi with no hitches. She is walking and has started trotting but I don't like the saddle fit and I don't want to push her too much until I get a better one. Maybe for Christmas.
My goals for 2013? At least 1 show (probably Texarkana again) with Bubba and maybe Zakhirah in SHIH, trail rides, ACTHA, and maybe some of the local Arab shows. I really do need to support the community more.
  • Seglavi and desertrat like this

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#106 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Well, I'm going to shamelessly plug for myself and Yumi. I am currently riding her in a rope halter and an Arab, Crosby cutback saddle (forgot how terrible they are to ride in). She is doing wonderfully. The bit made enemies with her in a way I have never seen, so I'm attempting to go in a different direction with her as she responds very well to being bitless. It has challenged my riding, for sure, as I always had the bit and skill to work with a bitted horse to help them get where I want them. There are subtle differences but she is going very well and is so responsive I wouldn't change her at this point except to the Indian Hackamore I'm getting for Christmas. My body language is taking a MAJOR lesson on this mare so, between her and Bubba, I think my riding has improved 3 fold over the past few years.
Honestly, she's been SO fun to work with. She is very honest, not full of surprizes and is very confident. She cracks me up because she puts her ears back when she doesn't like something, but doesn't throw a fit and if I get really ticked I yell at her and her ears go back forward. She is working long and low at the walk and trot, learning to neck rein, large circles, bending, transitions up and down etc. She is doing very well and is amazing at voice commands. She could be a driving horse for sure.
The one challenge with her is she has an scarred back heel bulb (old injury from a baby) that made a crack in her quarter and she also hung herself up in a metal gait on that same back leg so is a bit off and, I suspect, will always be. I've resolved I will never show or compete on her as I don't want to push her too hard in circles and I don't think she'd vet out. I think she's tight in the front due to years of avoiding working fully on that back heel but am still tweaking her trim, which has helped tremendously. I won't medicate her beyond joint supplements, but what I do plan on, is more basic training in the ring for solid WTC, transition and turns and will bring her out on the trails. I think she's going to be an excellent trail horse! Too bad. She naturally lifts her shoulder above her hip when she really wants to trot out, but can't sustain for very long. With better trims and more conditioning she has improved, but I don't think it will be enough to try to compete in anything. I guess only time under saddle will tell!

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#107 desertrat

desertrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Arabian Horses,Bridle Horses, Art, History of all sorts, Film, Music, Drama, Dance, and Literature.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

Well, I'm going to shamelessly plug for myself and Yumi. I am currently riding her in a rope halter and an Arab, Crosby cutback saddle (forgot how terrible they are to ride in). She is doing wonderfully. The bit made enemies with her in a way I have never seen, so I'm attempting to go in a different direction with her as she responds very well to being bitless. It has challenged my riding, for sure, as I always had the bit and skill to work with a bitted horse to help them get where I want them. There are subtle differences but she is going very well and is so responsive I wouldn't change her at this point except to the Indian Hackamore I'm getting for Christmas. My body language is taking a MAJOR lesson on this mare so, between her and Bubba, I think my riding has improved 3 fold over the past few years.
Honestly, she's been SO fun to work with. She is very honest, not full of surprizes and is very confident. She cracks me up because she puts her ears back when she doesn't like something, but doesn't throw a fit and if I get really ticked I yell at her and her ears go back forward. She is working long and low at the walk and trot, learning to neck rein, large circles, bending, transitions up and down etc. She is doing very well and is amazing at voice commands. She could be a driving horse for sure.
The one challenge with her is she has an scarred back heel bulb (old injury from a baby) that made a crack in her quarter and she also hung herself up in a metal gait on that same back leg so is a bit off and, I suspect, will always be. I've resolved I will never show or compete on her as I don't want to push her too hard in circles and I don't think she'd vet out. I think she's tight in the front due to years of avoiding working fully on that back heel but am still tweaking her trim, which has helped tremendously. I won't medicate her beyond joint supplements, but what I do plan on, is more basic training in the ring for solid WTC, transition and turns and will bring her out on the trails. I think she's going to be an excellent trail horse! Too bad. She naturally lifts her shoulder above her hip when she really wants to trot out, but can't sustain for very long. With better trims and more conditioning she has improved, but I don't think it will be enough to try to compete in anything. I guess only time under saddle will tell!

You might want to try some of the Tellington Equine Excercises on your mare. There are demonstrations of these on their Facebook site. Sounds like you and your horses are doing well. Happy Holidays! Do keep up the good work!

#108 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

I'll try those. They might help some of the tightness I'm seeing but certainly won't undo the injury. Anything would help. Thank you for the suggestion :)

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#109 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

A big hello to everyone who trains and rides their SE horses, whether it be for show or pleasure, I would enjoy hearing from you on this thread.

It's April 1st, and although there are still some 12 foot drifts on my farm, my heart is wanting to train and ride, and I've begun planning who I'm riding, who will be taken to clinics and who will be shown.

Here's my list of potentials for this year . . . PLEASE SHARE YOURS . . . and we can support and encourage each other.

My old standby . . . Aimbri Ansarah will be shown in Western Pleasure AOTH with hopes of going to Western Canada Breeders and beyond.  She'll also go to clinics and some small shows as time permits.

Her daugher by Moon Sheine, Aimbri Zaafinah . . .  will be ridden in Western Pleasure at clinics and small shows, with a view to showing her in Class A shows in late summer and early fall.

My gelding, Aimbri Ibn El Matrabb (El Matrabb x Tammens Nadira) will be trained in Dressage (I will be taking some lessons) with a view to showing him in some small shows and clinics, and possibly the Class A dressage show in the Walk/Trot Division.  An additional possibility, is showing him in Sport Horse in hand and under saddle.

I had also hoped to train and show a couple of homebred SE halter horses at some small shows, for my own pleasure and their learning experience, but with the massive amounts of snow, it will be near impossible to get them ready in time for the shows.

Please, others who train and show their own horses . . . please contribute and let's support and encourage each other!

• jmarcan likes this

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

Colt:

Mares:

#110 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

Well, I don't have much in the way of excitement...but... 

Bubba strained his front right leg. I didn't need a vet to know that he needs rest. He's out for a few months and we missed a NATRC ride and an AHA show. Oh well.

Sultry is my trail horse in conditioning. She's beyond well-seasoned on the trails so I'm just getting her back into shape physically and doing some tweaking under saddle to get her to be more responsive to my aids (she's quite dull if I do say so myself). I have plans to take her on a trail challenge and 12 mile ride this weekend as long as the weather holds. I am a fair-weather rider. I'm also jumping her bareback because I do not have a saddle that fits (she has an endurance saddle) and I might condition her to do over fences work. We'll see. A close neighbor does the Arkansas Hunter Jumper stuff and is motivating me to *maybe* try it again. I haven't pushed her enough yet so am still up in the air.

Yumi is still moving along but I haven't done a ton with her. My plans are to get her out to a few public rides this year. There is one in Camp Robinson at the end of the month and I really enjoyed riding there so may do it again. It's a benefit ride and we need to get our horses out more on stuff like that. No ribbons or accolades but I think it's very important for public image.

I might be leasing Nicole out to that hunter-jumper farm to do walk-trot lessons. They have never "done Arabs" but she really needs a good, dependable horse and I'm pretty sure this will happen. Again, good publicity in different ways.

My others are too young or not SE, but my ER mare will be trained this year for basic dressage and trails. I hope to move her to a good riding home within the year.

• desertrat likes this

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#111 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

Ansarah and I were at the Dressage Clinic last weekend.  I've entered her in the Class A show in 10 days.  Sport horse in hand and under saddle, and also in Showmanship and Western Pleasure.  Talk about Versatile!  (HER, not me!  LOL)

• VanAlma and desertrat like this

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

Colt:

Mares:

#112 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:09 AM

I ended up hurting my leg, and couldn't attend that show, but will attend the next one in the beginning of June.

Ansarah will be shown in Western Pleasure (4 classes) as well as introductory level dressage, walk/trot (2 classes)!  

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

Colt:

Mares:

#113 almahab

almahab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Pedigree Research, Straight Egyptian Arabian breeding & Recreational Riding, Show & Equestrian sport, Reading, Arabian horse promotion

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

Great topic! All of our horses are under saddle. My SE mare is in foal and I'm giving her the year off to be a mommy-to-be for the first time in too many years! I am rehabbing a very thin old Hadba mare, so no riding her.

My focus is on my four year old stallion, trained for 90 days last year then brought home and trail ridden, weather permitting. I was originally planning to do western pleasure with him and trail classes until I went to a show recently. I don't like the frame and headset used in WP and the trail is basically WP over obstacles... Soooooo I just bought a Dressage saddle and we are starting dressage as soon as the tornadoes and excessive rain here in central Oklahoma finally go away!

I am planning more trail rides and hope to participate in local parades and things amongst all breeds to represent the Arabian here in QH country. ;)
  • DKZ and VanAlma like this
Al Mahab Arabians
Standing at Stud 2013:
Bashyr Ali Safeen
SE, Al Khamsa son of Israeli Nat'l Champion, and multiple champion "Most Classic", AA Al Bashyr

http://www.almahab.net

~A new idea is not necessarily the best idea.~

#114 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:21 AM

Well, I made it to the Spring show the beginning of June.  I showed Ansarah in the 4 western classes, and then in the 2 Dressage walk/trot A and B.  We've been to several clinics this year as well.  Looking forward to more riding and showing this year!

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

Colt:

Mares:

#115 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:pedigrees, sport horse, music, movies

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

Well, I'm taking myself out of the saddle.  I got the news on Tuesday that I've got osteoporosis in my thoracic spine.  I've always said that if you horseback ride you've got to accept the fact that you will fall.  Brittle bones in the middle of the back & falling off a horse is a set up for spending the rest of your life as a paraplegic, getting old has been trying enough, I don't want to put my self at risk for that scenario.  So maybe that boniva stuff will build my bones back and I can ride again, but until we see evidence for restored bone in the spine, I'm playing it safe & staying out of the saddle.  It's sad.

JacqueB

#116 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

It IS sad, Jacque!  So sorry to hear it. 

A few years ago when I hurt my back, I spent more time working with my showmanship horse, and later showed her in showmanship at the shows, and a younger mare in hand.  Now that I'm riding more, I'm not having the time or energy to do the groundwork on the youngsters.  I hope to find time to do some of that this summer!

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

Colt:

Mares:

#117 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

:( Jacque, I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope the medication works, but it does make sense that you don't want to purposefully set yourself up for a larger injury, which is always in the making when you get on the back of a horse. 

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#118 Heidi

Heidi

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

That is hard news!

BINT SAFIERA 2000 Bay mare
SHAMS EL BINA 2002 Bay mare
NAKHDA AL SHAIB 2004 Grey Gelding<---- AL
SIHR JAWHER 2006 Bay Stallion
NADEERAH ALIAH 2006 Bay mare
ZAHRAN HAMRAH 2006 Grey mare
SHAMS FIDAT 2012 grey filly SKYLER the 1/2 Arabian pinto wonder horse

#119 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

For those not on FB, (Ana) Nicole has a new home as a walk-trot lesson horse. She has been packing kids around since she went there in April. They have started her over poles but I don't think she'll be a jumper of any sorts. She's too casual for that. Anyway, it's been wonderful to talk to this owner, who doesn't "do Arabs", and she and her husband just love her. Her husband is from England and was a part of the H/J circuit all over Europe in his younger years, so is quite educated and experienced, and he loves her as well. It's been a wonderful journey the past few months hearing about her progress, seeing videos, and knowing she will begin a show career at the age of 20!!! Karen loves her size and her stride and laments that people "don't breed Arabs like her anymore". I told her she would be shocked how many Arabs don't look like the magazines portray and that the blood is prevalent in HA crosses, but we had a big discussion about how many people don't think they are anything but useless, pretty grey ponies. Anyway, I just wanted to share Nicole's experience in her new life.

As for me, I have done NOTHING. I had been riding, but hay and a life crisis got in the way the past few weeks. I rode for the first time in 4 weeks today. It felt really good. I'm hoping that pattern will continue throughout the summer. I've got plenty to work, that's for sure!

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#120 talus

talus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Arabians, Clydesdales, American Driving Society, Carriage Association of America, combined driving events, trail riding, gardening, piano, reading and continuing to learn and improve.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

JacqueB You might consider driving,  Virginia has a strong driving community.  I am not talking about breed show driving.  We do pleasure, recreational and combined driving.  My Arabs take to it like ducks to water and they are good at it.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users