Saddle Fitting an Arabian

71 replies to this topic

#21 sheikh rissan

sheikh rissan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Oncology, Medicine, Arab Horses (obviously!), Driving Cars, Reading, Cooking, Eating, Pilates.... not in any particular order.

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:49 PM

Hiya

The minute I put the saddle on the horse, Andrew said "it's down at the back and up at the front". It wasn't apparent to me when he said it, but it was logical given how Kali's been going. Andrew mentioned later that it was pressing down on the weakest part of Kali's back.

When we did the rising trot (at a standstill) Andrew was trying to show me what was wrong with the saddle and how elevating the back would assist me to ride the saddle better (and changing the stirrup leather position etc). It was evident from Andrew just having his hands under the saddle that the rising trot was easier, as the comparison (ie without his hands) was that I was trying to trot "uphill" in the saddle, ie it took much more effort. That obviously also meant that when I was sitting in the saddle it must have been balanced to push down at the back.

I cannot stress enough the IMMEDIATE difference in Kali's way of going. I rode him again today. Emma, the yard manager, Emma had commented that the saddle looked "big" when it was on him and he was still standing on the yard. She watched me ride and said she could see a massive difference, and that my leg position was fantastic. He definitely senses the aids better and responds to them, and I am really happy. Emma will ride in it on Monday and Tuesday and let me know what she thinks. So sorry, I could have got a picture or two today. I will do so very soon, and take a video hopefully of Emma riding him in it.

Best wishes
Julia
Julia

Kalinin ibn Baletina - 2001 Metallic Chestnut Stallion, Double Balaton
Strain: Hadban Enzahi (TF Elsissa DB 1870)
SCID, CA and LFS Clear.. Testing Centre VHL Holland

Sire: Kais
Pakistan (Kumir/Panagia) x Proba (Balaton/Palmira)
Dam: Baletina bint Inez
Balaton (Menes/Panagia) x Indirah bint Inez (Kauri/Shams el Inez)

Al Zomorood Arabian Stud

Allbreed Pedigree - Kalinin ibn Baletina

#22 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

Hello -
I'd love to see a picture of that saddle, even from the bottom, whenever you get a chance.

I'm a bit concerned about my saddle again, but am not really sure what it is. Bubba has become a bit cinchy. He's not bad, bloats like a lot of horses, but seems a bit uncomfortable. I still haven't figured out if it's because he's still learning these behaviors as a green horse or if it's because he's actually uncomfortable. He also stopped a lot yesterday. The only thing is, the saddle slipped back and I knew something was off and when I got off I could tell. I'm going to get back on him today and take him for a trail ride, hopefully will get some big motion out of him and see what happens.

I'm back to thinking I need a new saddle - and it might just be treeless, or at least an adjustable tree. This could be beneficial as I also have a mare with mutton withers and a more "flexible" saddle might be in the future for me.

Kate

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#23 sheikh rissan

sheikh rissan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Oncology, Medicine, Arab Horses (obviously!), Driving Cars, Reading, Cooking, Eating, Pilates.... not in any particular order.

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

Aha

I was going to say "sh1t", because I am just about to move yards, and whilst I DO have a photo of the saddle, it's really no good... However, then I remembered it's sitting on a saddle horse in my living room, ready to be cleaned.

I will photo it in a minute and post soon.

Incidentally, Emma loves the saddle to ride in, and so do I, so I bought it. Only paid the first instalment last week. The saddler, Andrew, came last week to check for a final time that it fits, and he wants me to see him every 5 months so that it can be adjusted as necessary as Kali changes shape. Andrew said that he felt strongly that Kali needs this two point girthing system, as otherwise he felt the saddle would go forward. It's an "Omniflex" which means that there is no fixed tree, it bends in every direction, and certainly with the spine of the horse. It was designed with a vet and a dressage rider. I think he said that there were 4 prototypes before they all agreed they'd got it right. It sure looks quite "weird" though.

See what you think

KIF_7767.JPG
KIF_7768.JPG
KIF_7769.JPG
KIF_7770.JPG
KIF_7716.JPG
KIF_7552.JPG

The last two are of my friend and her daughter, both riding Kali for the first time.
Julia

Al Zomorood Arabian Stud

#24 pucaru

pucaru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Bedouin Arabian horses
    Singapura cats

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:19 PM

Hello -
I'd love to see a picture of that saddle, even from the bottom, whenever you get a chance.

I'm a bit concerned about my saddle again, but am not really sure what it is. Bubba has become a bit cinchy. He's not bad, bloats like a lot of horses, but seems a bit uncomfortable. I still haven't figured out if it's because he's still learning these behaviors as a green horse or if it's because he's actually uncomfortable. He also stopped a lot yesterday. The only thing is, the saddle slipped back and I knew something was off and when I got off I could tell. I'm going to get back on him today and take him for a trail ride, hopefully will get some big motion out of him and see what happens.

I'm back to thinking I need a new saddle - and it might just be treeless, or at least an adjustable tree. This could be beneficial as I also have a mare with mutton withers and a more "flexible" saddle might be in the future for me.

Kate

One thing you might consider might be to try a string girth. They seem to be good on horses with sensitive skin, and don't need to be girthed as tightly as the others...
Jenny Krieg
Poolesville, Maryland

Lady Fuchsia (Rafik El Bedu x Jasmine CRF) 1991 bay mare, Kuhaylan Haifi
HS Marayah (Hadaya Nile Anwar x Sherlaila) 1998 grey mare, Shaykhah - from Ubayyan Sharrak
Labwah al-Shaykhah (DB Khrush x HS Marayah) 2009 bay mare, Shaykhah - from Ubayyan Sharrak
Ubayyat al-Bahrain (Mlolshaan Hager Solomon x DB Kalila) 2011 mare, Ubayyan - co-owned with Desert Bred Arabian Stud
Sarita Bint Raj (Rajmoniet RSI x Nejd Sahra Nisan) 1998 chestnut mare, Saqlawi Jidran al-Dirri

#25 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:51 PM

One thing you might consider might be to try a string girth. They seem to be good on horses with sensitive skin, and don't need to be girthed as tightly as the others...

I never thought of that kind of girth for slipping, but I'm not sure that's the case. I think the saddle just happened to slip back as it has not been a problem before. Actually, now that I think about it, I also used a different pad this time, which could have also contributed. However, thanks for that suggestion. Could very well be the problem now or in the future.
My concern is the fit through the shoulder and pressure at the point of the shoulder in working gaits. It almost seemed that, when I took the saddle off after a nice ride through a field: trotting, cantering, slight hills etc, that the hair at his shoulder seemed rough as if there was rubbing yet I'm still not sure because I just noticed it and it could be a coincidence. Maybe a girth that fits differently might help.
Sigh......I sometimes wonder if I'm just over-thinking this. Thanks for the suggestion!

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#26 sheikh rissan

sheikh rissan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:12 AM

I never thought of that kind of girth for slipping, but I'm not sure that's the case. I think the saddle just happened to slip back as it has not been a problem before. Actually, now that I think about it, I also used a different pad this time, which could have also contributed. However, thanks for that suggestion. Could very well be the problem now or in the future.
My concern is the fit through the shoulder and pressure at the point of the shoulder in working gaits. It almost seemed that, when I took the saddle off after a nice ride through a field: trotting, cantering, slight hills etc, that the hair at his shoulder seemed rough as if there was rubbing yet I'm still not sure because I just noticed it and it could be a coincidence. Maybe a girth that fits differently might help.
Sigh......I sometimes wonder if I'm just over-thinking this. Thanks for the suggestion!

Kate, perhaps the saddle slipped because it "needed" to, to compensate for his movement.. Perhaps that is why you could see some rough hairs on his shoulder. After that, ie as soon as it had moved back, it would be blocking him, and that's why he would stop. The original saddle I had for Kali was wrong in the seat area, and he was very reluctant to move forward when we first reintroduced riding. After that he WOULD move forward, but it was as if he was getting "white noise", ie he was getting signals from the seat which didn't match those from the leg. After the saddler came, he said that my horse needed a saddle with the girthstraps set up a particular way to ensure the saddle didn't ride FORWARD, as he is a little croup high. Honestly, from the MINUTE I rode him in that saddle, the "white noise" stopped. What I have is a horse which is very sensitive to all the aids without being too forward going. I can't say enough for getting a professional saddler out to check your saddle fit and adjust if necessary. You don't have to buy an expensive saddle, my saddler originally suggested a particular make and told me to search for a second hand one with a certain seat size and fitting... he said he could then definitely modify it as required to fit. I am confident that you will then not have to wonder whether it's saddle or horse.

Cheers
Julia
Julia

Al Zomorood Arabian Stud

#27 pucaru

pucaru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Bedouin Arabian horses
    Singapura cats

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:07 AM

Sure! I hope you get the fit issue sorted out...
Jenny Krieg
Poolesville, Maryland

Lady Fuchsia (Rafik El Bedu x Jasmine CRF) 1991 bay mare, Kuhaylan Haifi
HS Marayah (Hadaya Nile Anwar x Sherlaila) 1998 grey mare, Shaykhah - from Ubayyan Sharrak
Labwah al-Shaykhah (DB Khrush x HS Marayah) 2009 bay mare, Shaykhah - from Ubayyan Sharrak
Ubayyat al-Bahrain (Mlolshaan Hager Solomon x DB Kalila) 2011 mare, Ubayyan - co-owned with Desert Bred Arabian Stud
Sarita Bint Raj (Rajmoniet RSI x Nejd Sahra Nisan) 1998 chestnut mare, Saqlawi Jidran al-Dirri

#28 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:10 AM

A little update - I rode him last week and he seemed sore and he was swishing his tail almost the whole ride. When I took the saddle off, there was definite rubbing in the shoulder area and when I went to touch it / massage it - Bubba swung his head around like "momma, please don't touch me there".
I borrowed a saddle that is just as wide, but has less bulk in the shoulder area and is shorter, I believe. I didn't measure it. He was barely swishy with it today and we had some good passes where he really came to the bit and went forward with impulsion. I'm hoping this saddle will be the trick.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#29 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

Well, another story in my saddle-fitting saga:
The saddle I borrowed is a NICE saddle and very comfy. It fits Bubba good, but I thought I'd try one of the cheaper treeless saddles to see how that fares on him. Well, he seems to really like this saddle. His back has become more supple and he is really working nicely underneath me and rarely stops. He wasn't really stopping with the saddle I borrowed, but sometimes would feel like I had to work to get him going. Still don't know if it's a learned response or the saddle as I have only ridden in it 3 times. WOW WAS I SORE! I know which is my strong side and that I haven't been sitting straight, I can tell you that!
Anyway, it's a huge dilemma as I plan on showing him next year. The saddle I borrowed does work for him: is a traditional forward seat, brown and matches my Crosby show bridle. The treeless is a black, more dressage-looking saddle that I would show with but would need to buy a black bridle to match. Regardless of under which I chose to work him, the treeless is staying :tha_you6:

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#30 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

Ahhh, and I've changed things up again.
The all purpose I have been riding in just did not seem to fit the bill for ring work. It is a great saddle, is awesome for trails and for jumping, but something was amiss in flat, ring work.
First of all, let me start out by saying I still have my treeless and bought an Equipedic for it for wither and spine relief. Before the pad, it wasn't clearing enough IMO so I had been trail riding in the all purpose but I have turned into a fan of the treeless. It will go on Nicole as I'm going to train her for trail riding only.
I decided to purchase a dressage saddle. I wanted a brown one so I could fake it in the MR hunter classes if I ever get there, but what I got was a black, Wintec Pro with an adjustable gullet and it is amazing. It has the extra-wide gullet in and I think that's where we'll stay. He got a "bounce" underneath me the second I put that saddle on him and my legs HURT after the first ride as I had to soften myself to go with him. His canter (see canter thread) also is coming along - not entirely due to this saddle - but I feel my position is better in this saddle and it does not block him at all.
Lastly, and I want to thank Sharon's daughter, Chrissy, for this: I bought a 16.5. She told me she thought he needed a wide or extra wide but a shorter saddle and I took her advice. She was right. My butt even fits in it! Goes to show, we need to fit the saddle to the horse, first, and to us, second.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#31 larapintavian

larapintavian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Interests:Classical music, Arabians ... SEs in particular ... sporting type, Saluki Hounds, Cockatoos.

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

Hi Kate!

Glad you're having saddle success ... seems like it's a never ending problem, especially as the horse develops.

Chris had a similar 'length' problem with Emmersom, who is exceptionally short coupled for a 16 hh purebred, and her dressage saddles. The difference between the 16.5" and 17" was visually very subtle but it made a tremendous difference in his performance ... and her behind did still fit the shorter one. Ironically, the length problem didn't exist with her 17" jumping saddle, just the dressage. Bubba and Em are similar in the topline and also move similarly.

Looking forward to seeing you again.
Sharon Jackson
Emphasis on Arab Eventers
http://www.larapintasporthorses.com

#32 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

Hey Sharon :)
I, too, couldn't believe when I got my 16.5 how just that much could make an impact. I almost kicked myself for not getting a 16 but, thankfully, it did make a huge difference.
Off topic - but I've seen lots of trials but no schooling shows relatively close to me so haven't made it to any. It's too hot to travel very far. I'm hoping there is on in Okema (spelling?) as it's only about 2 hours from me right down I-40.
Anyway, thank Chrissy for me. Hopefully we'll cross paths when hell decides to take up residence somewhere else.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#33 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • Interests:My Family, friends and our beautiful Arabian horses.

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:40 PM

Rode in many different saddles over the years on numerous different bodied Arabians.

My pick overall are Simco's, Wintec, Tex Tan and Billy Royals.

Wintec can be used on many of our Arabains as well as the Simco's.

I have a Circle Y Park & Trail, however my R.Ai grandaughter is super shorted backed and I need to find a good round skirt for her that also fits my now much larger self, I can't keep borrrowing the famliy farms tack. Need to buy one for myself. For years I rode in an old hard seat saddle that was so comfy for the life of me I can't remember the maker.

Thankfully I have a friend with a tack shop so am able to try out different makes.

Rising Phoenix Arabians is located in beautiful Chester Mass. U.S.A. in the foothills of the Berkshire's.
http://risingphoenixarabians.webs.com

We are A family dedicated to breeding our Arabians for performance and family enjoyment. Our Arabians are full of type, kindness, versatility, excellent temperament, athleticism and noble intelligence with World Class proven pedigree's. Feel free to contact us anytime, Sincerely Stephen W. Piispanen, Lisa M.Piispanen, Karina E. Piispanen & our grandson Noah Alenander.

We have 5 Arabian mares, our 2 Straight Egyptian mares are listed below.

MB Zareena ( Safeen X AK Shezara)- Dam of two superb Straight Egyptian foals. Dam of numerous X's SHIH Champion Straight Egyptian Stallion Amir Al Ahlam. "Amir" is doing excellent in his new home and competes in many open shows against all breeds. We are pleased to say he is an EXCELLENT performance stallion!  Amir will be doing his first Hunter Pace this coming weekend.

Ali's Zaafinah ( Achaean Ali X MB Zareena)- Dam of Bashyr Ali Safeen, Top Ten Egyptian Event colt.

http://risingphoenixarabians.webs.com BLACK PUREBRED COMING 4yr. OLD DOMESTIC BRED, ( HAS HIGH % EGYPTIAN) FILLY OFFERED FROM RISING PHOENIX ARABAINS.

#34 shall

shall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Anabelle EFS
    Khidron
    Sakher+ 2014 USEF HA Training Level Horse of the Year, Region 11 HA SHUS Champion

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

Well, my young mare has managed to move up from a wide to an extra wide. Her back isn't particularly short, but she has very little wither and slightly smaller shoulders than her barrel. In addition, when she moves her shoulder back, there is a big bulge of muscle.

For me, I want my leg to fall away, straight. And I don't want to be locked in.

Ana needs some serious width in her saddle.

We've tried:

Wintec Isabell - points too long, dig into her wither/shoulder area, straight tree is a fit.

Smith Worthington Mystic AP 17” XXW - initially comfy, then the head started cramming on to her withers, spinal clearance was on the narrow side (older saddle). Most new saddle fit for awhile until the new pressure points get established. I could feel her back lift and got excited.

Klasse 17” 34 - sort of the same as above, 34 is a wide, tree is more curvy than she is. More a fit for the big shouldered horse. Love this saddle because of where my leg goes, and will be sad to see it go. Here is the Thornhill Klasse:
Thornhill left side.jpg
Thornhill Vienna II 18" 34, which is an inexpensive hoop tree saddle with wide, flat panels. She has muscled up beyond that, and I want something with a long, external block like the Klasse which felt like heaven to me. She is modeling this in the pictures, below, both when it fit and when it didn't.

Verhan Vantage 17” short flap 14/30 (X-Wide) with shoulder cut outs – nice wide, flat panels, too small for me, and not stable in canter-goes forward.

Custom Saddlery older model, little narrow, ok for trot/walk, goes forward some during canter.

Circle Y Proven barrel saddle - Full quarter horse bars, not a fit due to not enough flare at the head, so crams on her withers. Fits my gelding, though, as he has more wither and different shoulders.

Here are some photos showing what can happen in a year. Here she is a year ago in her 18" 34 (wide) Vienna II. Its a decent fit for an inexpensive saddle. The point of the larger size seat is that there would be more panel contact and keep the saddle more stable. Her back is fairly straight and not particularly short for an Arabian.
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG

She developed well in it, then her hip started banging the back of the saddle in canter and the whole nine yards started to travel up on her neck (our usual problem). I'd place it on her back and it would not locate in a good place, so I put it aside and we've been in saddle fitting hell since then.

Here she is today wearing the same Vienna II saddle with it tipped up in the front. (She's looking around for her extra wide saddle!) She is not even particularly fit, but she lives out 24-7 in a large field and that probably helps. Plus, she has hit the magic 7 year mark and has her adult muscling. I've been looking at pictures of the Baroque horses and a saddle for one of these might work for her.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG

Under consideration:

Thorowgood Broadback Dressage - synthetic, inexpensive, adjustable gullet saddle for the wide breeds.
Lovatt & Ricketts Concorde, Berkeley - an investment (sigh) saddle designed for the Baroque breeds
Used Hennig (another investment...that I don't want to make at this time)

Sakher+ 2009 HAHR/RPSI gelding, Sinatra Song x Anabelle EFS
     Region 11 2014 SHUS and Training Level Champion
Anabelle EFS 2004 SE mare, Shahir IASB x Thee Debutante
Khidron 2001 SE gelding, Hawkeye CC x Lady Minstril

#35 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the informative posts - with pics :hitbybat(2): It is amazing how much they change. Your mare went from that immature back to that full back and it's very obvious in that picture. I do hope you've found your final saddle.
It has been about 10 years since I trained a young one and had forgotten how quickly they change. Frankly, I'm not even sure I was as aware of the changes my others went through and look back now and wonder if...

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#36 diane

diane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hello ladies, have been following this thread for a while now. Today I bought a Thorowgood T8 Cob Dressage saddle (combination leather and synthetic) for my mare that I'm planning to do endurance with now that we are getting to the serious end of training for our first 40klm ride. The saddle I've been riding her in is a half breed and is just that little bit too long and with a cinch girth, the saddle creeps forward fairly quickly, impinging on Etosha's shoulder action. Not good. Tried my dressage saddle with her but would have to alter the Flair to fit her and at the moment that saddle is ok for my gelding, Fahraj who I ride occasionally. So opted for a semi modular saddle for Etosha which can be used with the others as needs be. I was tad surprised when the first thing Graham did was widen the gullet to the wide fitting.

It was an interesting fitting session as the saddler, whom I've known for many years, was quietly surprised how short backed she was, after commenting that she was nicely built in hindquarter :) Praise indeed I felt, especially coming from a saddler who fits many breeds and sees many wonderful horses! So the quest was to fit the short back and have the most forward girthing system available plus economically priced (although this was the last consideration). No mean feat!
Posted Image
girthing looks like this
Posted Image

the test ride was comfortable and saddle was really nice to sit in - considering it was a strange saddle. Can let you know after a few rides how Etosha responds and the saddle feels.

Has anyone else tried or has an English Thorowgood saddle?
cheers, diane
Agecroft, Australia

Is there an elephant in the room?

#37 sheikh rissan

sheikh rissan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

That type of saddle was recommended for my stallion by my saddler... However, I wanted all leather.. so the option then was to have been the same type of saddle made by a sister company (using the same tree) in leather.. the make would be Kent & Masters. Just as I was thinking of getting one of those 2nd hand and having them fitted, my stallion started to really demonstrate that he was very unhappy in the saddle I was using (dressage).... I needed to move to something MUCH more suitable FAST. In order not to keep on purchasing things that I was unsure of, I opted to go for a trial of one of the completely modular WOW! saddles that I saw at Badminton Horse Trials on a stand there....
It doesn't look dissimilar to the one you show above, actually. I have gone for a VSD (Very Slightly Dressage) flaps, with a pretty normal seat, and just like you said.. he needed a VERY wide gullet ... it's not a cob, though. The great thing about these is that you can fit both yourself AND the horse by combining the different parts of the saddle to make one whole bespoke thing!

The saddler agreed that my horse needs a point strap... (like the one you show on your girth above) but in the end, we went one further and fitted him with an "H" girth.. This REALLY stabilises the saddle so that it doesn't budge when mounting at all and sits very nicely..
I am very pleased with it indeed.

I am sure you will love your new saddle.. it looks like it will do a great job.. It would be good to hear how your mare likes it..

I am riding out in mind in the woods here, and it's performing really well. I must say, I am totally pleased with it, and what's even better, Kalinin seems to very much appreciate the change also.
Julia

Al Zomorood Arabian Stud

#38 diane

diane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

first ride (just short of an hour) was really nice and comfortable in the T8CD. Felt Etosha's back swing as well as her back stretching in the canter for the first time under saddle as well :) There's a sharp, testing gully in the back paddock - about 3' deep and barely a stride width at the base and this was a issue for Etosha in the past. I used to let her pick the way across that she was most comfortable with. Whereas this morning she was willing to go straight through it on each lap. For me... admit I was a little apprehensive about wearing my skins but the ride ended up being much better than anticipated and the padded seat was very much appreciated.

H girth - saw it recently on the FTE website when browsing the WOW saddles, thought it looked impressive.

Satisfaction for both of us it seems but will wait to see how the T8 settles for Etosha and I :)
cheers, diane
Agecroft, Australia

#39 sheikh rissan

sheikh rissan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:16 PM

Hey Diane, that's good to hear.
Yep on the swinging back for my boy, too... I can for the first time also feel his back swinging under me.. and each foot hitting the ground.
I am VERY impressed with the H girth. It looks cumbersome, but is very effective indeed.
My horse has "tickly" spots by his girth area, and he doesn't mind this girth at all. I think the fact that he IS sensitive there had contributed to him anticipating the odd sensation of the saddle shifting a little when mounting (even from a mounting block). He now stands very still to be mounted with no worry.
Glad you liked your saddle.. It seems a hit with both of you so far. Well done.
Best
Julia
Julia

Al Zomorood Arabian Stud

#40 diane

diane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:15 AM

:Wine_glass_2: riding in a soft, forgiving saddle is just delightful ... uhmmmm
Thursday and Friday rained - no riding Friday morning which gave her the day to savour her massage :) The massage proved interesting as she was very tight in the nearside hamstring! This morning's ride was so much more comfortable for her which was just so pleasing. The lady who does the massages (humans and horses) is naturally talented in massage and finds the problem spot(s) straight away. Her son also appears to have inherited this gift. He formalised his business with a diploma and recently graduated with comendation :) very handy.
cheers, diane
Agecroft, Australia

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users