71 replies to this topic

#61 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

I always thought asymmetry could be worked on in hand with lunging etc. I have ridden horses bareback and noticed it in them AND in myself as we didn't have the saddle to compensate.
I try to incorporate lunge work both with and without side reins, as well as over low jumps, to encourage overall development without a rider's interference.
Saddle fitting is no picnic. I've got 3 saddles for varying horses. I just hope I don't need to buy YET another for my mom's mare. My dressage did not fit the bill.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#62 sheikh rissan

sheikh rissan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Oncology, Medicine, Arab Horses (obviously!), Driving Cars, Reading, Cooking, Eating, Pilates.... not in any particular order.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

Just a quick update about my boy and his WOW! Saddle. It had started to move, just slightly, forward. Had Louise, the saddle fitter from WOW! out, and straight away after watching him being lunged and ridden, then with the saddle off, she advised that he needed a bigger headplate. My goodness, the difference in his shoulder movement!! If it was free-ish before, it's phenomenal now! He had muscled up considerably in this saddle (and riding on the hills, I suppose) since August.

I am SO pleased with this saddle and the girthing system
  • diane, VanAlma, Nasheeta and 1 other like this
Julia

Kalinin ibn Baletina - 2001 Metallic Chestnut Stallion, Double Balaton
Strain: Hadban Enzahi (TF Elsissa DB 1870)
SCID, CA and LFS Clear.. Testing Centre VHL Holland

Sire: Kais
Pakistan (Kumir/Panagia) x Proba (Balaton/Palmira)
Dam: Baletina bint Inez
Balaton (Menes/Panagia) x Indirah bint Inez (Kauri/Shams el Inez)

Al Zomorood Arabian Stud

Allbreed Pedigree - Kalinin ibn Baletina

#63 Nasheeta

Nasheeta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:www.wolffphotography.nl, war crimes, Desert bred Arabians, Sheykh Obeyd and Babson Arabians.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

Lunge is ok but with in-hand work you walk directly next to the horse and just work with normal reins, not the long Vienna style long reins. an advantage is you are standing very close to your horse, lots of direct contact and also, it feels like normal riding, we walk and trot in-hand with my just normal pace and the horse can do a nice, slightly collected trot.

Nasheeta Arabians

home of
Abu Dhabi (Djinn x Pax), Manara Samira r.i.p. (Masada Massoud x Matara Saafana), Zabira Atya (Ebony Rumaadi x Bach Raisa),
Fadra (Neapolitano XXIX-22 x Maestoso XLVI-3), a), Kuhaylat Imzaa (Antar el Elamal x Impress CS), Shennah BLA (Renoir MBI x Suraha KSI)

Proud owner of miniature mare NOVA stables Carissa (Falabella)

Have a look at www.nasheeta.com

and home of

The Samira Foundation, a sacntuary for old, formerly abandonned and abused arabian mares. Currently offering a home to Ber Parabola, Razade des Belles, Sarafeh, Aronda Star r.i.p. , Prinses Dalmea r.i.p., Dizzy Devil, Impress CS and Flaxman's Ophelia. Donations most welcome!

www.facebook.com/stichtingsamira

co-author (with Ms Saskia Klaassen) of "Impressions" a manual to arabian bloodlines in The Netherlands

#64 Nasheeta

Nasheeta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:www.wolffphotography.nl, war crimes, Desert bred Arabians, Sheykh Obeyd and Babson Arabians.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

hi sheikh, which WOW do you have?

more on in-hand work, this way you also work on the regular dressage excercises like leg yielding, shoulder-in, travers, half pass and even pirouette. the advanced trainers can do even piaffe, and high school like levade in-hand.

watch the videos at www.paardenbegrijpen.nl and http://academicartofriding.com/
to get an impressions, it is very cool to do with your horse!

Nasheeta Arabians

home of
Abu Dhabi (Djinn x Pax), Manara Samira r.i.p. (Masada Massoud x Matara Saafana), Zabira Atya (Ebony Rumaadi x Bach Raisa),
Fadra (Neapolitano XXIX-22 x Maestoso XLVI-3), a), Kuhaylat Imzaa (Antar el Elamal x Impress CS), Shennah BLA (Renoir MBI x Suraha KSI)

and home of

The Samira Foundation, a sacntuary for old, formerly abandonned and abused arabian mares. Currently offering a home to Ber Parabola, Razade des Belles, Sarafeh, Aronda Star r.i.p. , Prinses Dalmea r.i.p., Dizzy Devil, Impress CS and Flaxman's Ophelia. Donations most welcome!

co-author (with Ms Saskia Klaassen) of "Impressions" a manual to arabian bloodlines in The Netherlands

#65 sheikh rissan

sheikh rissan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Oncology, Medicine, Arab Horses (obviously!), Driving Cars, Reading, Cooking, Eating, Pilates.... not in any particular order.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hi Nasheeta
It's a VSD with longer flaps and a point strap for the girth. It's got the H-girthing system.
VERY nice saddle to ride in.. Really comfortable, and allows the horse to move well underneath you. You feel every stride

Edited to say "that last sentence of mine really wasn't clear.. I meant, you can feel the movement of each leg... It's very nice. There is no jarring whatsoever.. "

Julia
Julia

Kalinin ibn Baletina - 2001 Metallic Chestnut Stallion, Double Balaton
Strain: Hadban Enzahi (TF Elsissa DB 1870)
SCID, CA and LFS Clear.. Testing Centre VHL Holland

Sire: Kais
Pakistan (Kumir/Panagia) x Proba (Balaton/Palmira)
Dam: Baletina bint Inez
Balaton (Menes/Panagia) x Indirah bint Inez (Kauri/Shams el Inez)

Al Zomorood Arabian Stud

Allbreed Pedigree - Kalinin ibn Baletina

#66 Nasheeta

Nasheeta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

Hello Julia,

what a dream! a second hand WOW is on my list, I do have the Flair Korrector filled with air too so I am already riding on clouds!
Brigitte

Nasheeta Arabians

home of

and home of

#67 diane

diane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

Etosha now has 3 x 40klm rides successfully completed. All within15-20mins of minimum time.
Etosha 40 klm completions.JPG

Found the Thorowgood T8 saddle very comfortable :)

This last ride I used the Garmin Forerunner 305 to track us as well as using it to guide me re average kph.
Etosha Spring Mt Challenge.JPG
  • sheikh rissan and VanAlma like this
cheers, diane
Agecroft, Australia

Is there an elephant in the room?

#68 diane

diane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

what is the pad you are using? a toklat? it looks so comfortable!

Sorry for the delay in answering (my bad)... the saddle blanket is a wool material (wool crafted into a material) - double thickness. It's distributed by a husband and wife team here in Australia (D-Lua Park) but maybe available as well elsewhere. Just bought the smaller size - its more in keeping with the dressage style of saddle.
cheers, diane
Agecroft, Australia

#69 diane

diane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

Regarding saddle fitting, a friend is having trouble with saddle slip on her rather rotund QH bred mare so when the following appeared in the latest issue of Equus (Feb 2013) - saddle slip related to lameness, it was eagerly read.  The day was rained out along with a power black out, reading, even if via smart phone was the go... there's only so much about endurance to be read in one day when the transliteration from French could have been better ~ but an interesting read nonetheless! 

The article suggested (percentages on a limited study) that the author found that lameness impacts on how horse's saddle stays in place (or not as the case maybe).  The author found with saddle slips, that usually (but not always) the saddle tends to slip to the side of lameness and usually (not always) in the hindlegs. <sigh> Something else to figure into saddle fitting when things aren't going right! :blush:

cheers, diane
Agecroft, Australia

#70 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I read that and can see how the saddle would slip to the side of lameness, because it's the weak side. I notice on young horses, unconditioned horses, or horses that do have a known injury that they have more trouble engaging the back at work on their weak side, so is less developed, and the saddle will fall into it. With conditioning and time, it usually corrects itself. I will be interested to see how this plays out with Yumi, who has a hock injury that I saw happen so I'm not guessing on this one, and the saddle does fall to the left side (and I'm a rider who falls to the right so it isn't me). She isn't lame under saddle and her gait doesn't seem affected yet but we'll see as time goes on. A good read and great food for thought.

• diane likes this

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#71 Imhoteparabians

Imhoteparabians

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

When I  bought my mare Julie MB I thought the saddle I had for my Arabian Stallion would fit..no such luck.  I tried various saddles and decided on an Abetta Arabian Trail saddle and it fits her great.  I am a tall older gal and didn't want to be lifting a heavy western saddle.  Been trail riding quite a bit and see no problems.  She is 11 but green.  I am going to look into a nice English dressage  type or all purpose after a while. 

• diane likes this

#72 shall

shall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Anabelle EFS
    Khidron
    Sakher+ 2014 USEF HA Training Level Horse of the Year, Region 11 HA SHUS Champion

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

Hope everyone is out riding. My roly poly mare grew withers at age 7. They are well upholstered withers, but saddles that once fit stopped.  So my FairFax AP is for sale with a saddle broker.  The head is too low and the tree is too straight. Thanks to my mare, I have 2 new saddles, and both are English made Walsall saddles.  They are wool flocked, have nice wide channels, have a nice curve to the tree and have wither gussets. Which means all three of mine more or less fit the same type of saddle in a 17 1/2 Wide. Who would have thought that?  It might be because flocked saddles have more versatility. When they need a reflock, I have to ship the saddle off.

Most of my saddle shopping is done on Ebay. Once I have an idea of what fits, I'll buy, ride in it for a few months and then resell if necessary.  There aren't many tack shops or many/any saddle fitters around here, so it has been an uphill climb to knowledge to figure things out for my horses. I find that a saddle trial of a few days does not give me enough information to know. I'm also trying something new. It's probably the engineer in me.

The jump saddle is an Albion Kontrol, and the dressage saddle is a Trilogy Debbie Special with short and forward flap. I found out that I have a long femur on this short body, so allowing my dressage leg go a little forward helps me make the most of the room in the saddle area. All saddles are 17 1/2 with the back of the panel straight rather than extending back, and wither gussets at the front. The Kent and Masters, Thorowgood and Fairfax also have wither gussets, plus flexible girthing. I like them better than Wintec because my horse all have withers and the latter bridge badly.

All 3 horses fit the Kontrol and the Debbie, so they are worthy additions to the saddle collection. I'm keeping the Debbie just for my mare, though, as it is custom flocked. My gelding does well in his Thornhill Danube which fits him well with a half pad. My 4 year old has his own saddle as he chews on everything. His is a Ryder dressage,  another Walsall saddle. To be picky, it's not a great fit as his body is still immature, but it does fine with some padding. I'm interested in doing more ground work with him, as well as hill work.

Currently we are doing dressage in the field which now has lots of baled hay there, too. We've had a lot of rain here in the NW Missouri, but finally starting to get out riding, especially as the hay field is cut. I'm leasing a farm with a view to seeing how I can handle it, then decide on whether to move. Having terrain to ride in is fun. I grew up riding my horse on trails, so jumping the odd log and cantering up hills feels pretty good. 

Sakher+ 2009 HAHR/RPSI gelding, Sinatra Song x Anabelle EFS
     Region 11 2014 SHUS and Training Level Champion
Anabelle EFS 2004 SE mare, Shahir IASB x Thee Debutante
Khidron 2001 SE gelding, Hawkeye CC x Lady Minstril

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users