24 replies to this topic

#21 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:02 PM

Reviving and old thread because I'm proud to say Nicole has been successfully saddle broke. I had gotten on her this summer bareback plenty of times and had lunged her with a saddle, but hadn't put the 2 together. Sadly, Bubba tore his chest muscle so is down for the count. I am taking this time away from him to do some much-needed work on my broodmares (or wanna-be broodmares). I brought Nicole in and she will be my primary riding horse until we try to breed her again next spring. Since Bubba can't do anything, she'll be going in trips with me to Ellen May's and other rides I go on here and there.
Being she's 18, she doesn't have the "stupids" anymore. She's got quite an opinion, but no "stupids". It's VERY different from my young Bubba but am looking forward to her progress and the differing challanges it will bring. At least if she can't sustain a pregnancy she'll have a job. I've already got 1 who can't be ridden who I won't breed, so don't need any more of those!
  • Aimbri likes this

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#22 shall

shall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Anabelle EFS
    Khidron
    Sakher+ 2014 USEF HA Training Level Horse of the Year, Region 11 HA SHUS Champion

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

Love that term, the 'stupids'. My mare used to have her "oops, what's that?" moments, but they've gone away. She's a bold horse, and insisted that these were important things to be wary of. She always settled fast, but it was always a feature. It is SO nice not to have to deal with that anymore.

The thing I found hardest about the shying was that for our partnership, I had to keep exercising tact despite how annoying it was to have a spooky corner of the arena. Nothing like doing a massive detour toward the center of the ring when riding in company every freaking time. She has a long neck and knows how to use it when she wants to do something.

Her 2 year old son is maturing very nicely and offering lots of good stuff. If cleaning feet, he will now have the next one ready to lift up. Previously, hoof picking was an opportunity to chew on one's rear or grab his leg back. Last summer, he went through a phase where he'd rear if he disagreed about something. Lovely! I put him out with mom in the field, and ignored him. She loves to work and is always right there, wanting to do something. Wheels must have turned in his head, because he was the one always left behind. Now, he is very soft and wanting to be part of things, too. He's going to be easy to start.
  • VanAlma likes this
Sakher+ 2009 HAHR/RPSI gelding, Sinatra Song x Anabelle EFS
     Region 11 2014 SHUS and Training Level Champion
Anabelle EFS 2004 SE mare, Shahir IASB x Thee Debutante
Khidron 2001 SE gelding, Hawkeye CC x Lady Minstril

#23 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

Reviving and old thread because I'm proud to say Nicole has been successfully saddle broke. I had gotten on her this summer bareback plenty of times and had lunged her with a saddle, but hadn't put the 2 together. Sadly, Bubba tore his chest muscle so is down for the count. I am taking this time away from him to do some much-needed work on my broodmares (or wanna-be broodmares). I brought Nicole in and she will be my primary riding horse until we try to breed her again next spring. Since Bubba can't do anything, she'll be going in trips with me to Ellen May's and other rides I go on here and there.
Being she's 18, she doesn't have the "stupids" anymore. She's got quite an opinion, but no "stupids". It's VERY different from my young Bubba but am looking forward to her progress and the differing challanges it will bring. At least if she can't sustain a pregnancy she'll have a job. I've already got 1 who can't be ridden who I won't breed, so don't need any more of those!

Congratulations Kate . . . . always a sense of accomplishment doing something that others think can't be done!
  • VanAlma likes this

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

All horses at Aimbri Arabians are SE and AK, and all mares and stallions are LFS, CA and SCID Tested Clear!
Colt:

Aimbri El Kaream (REA El Kaream+ x Tal Imdal by Imperial Imdal+) 2013 grey colt LFS, CA and SCID tested Clear.

Mares:

Tammens Nadira (Tammen x ADH Nadafe by Shukri) 1995 Bay  
Aimbri Ansarah (Aseffa Moniet by Rasmoniet RSI x Zahara Basharah by Ramses Maris) 1996 Bay
MB Faheena (Safeen x AK Bint Fatiha by Moniet El Sharaf) 1997 Ches. 
Aimbri Amira Matrabb (El Matrabb x Dorian Mon Amie by AK Na Moniet) 1998 Ches/Flax 
Aimbri Zaafinah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2004 Ches/Flaxen 
Aimbri Amurra (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2005 Ches. SOLD!
Aimbri Fawzia (Moon Sheine x Tammens Nadira) 2005 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Zakirah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2006 Bay SOLD!
Aimbri Amira Alia (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2006 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Bint Bint Matrabb (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb) 2011 Ches.

2 SE/AK Sweepstakes Nominated Chestnut Geldings by El Matrabb  SOLD! $
Aimbri Emir Hilal (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb by El Matrabb) 2007 Ches. $

#24 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

Congratulations Kate . . . . always a sense of accomplishment doing something that others think can't be done!

Thanks :) I was very happy to get this done and she was SO EASY. My mom even watched a training session and remarked how calm she was. I just can't see another old horse with nothing to do. I know a few people who would love a calm, older horse like her. It's a good second job for old broodies *or mares that NEED to be broodies but just don't want to cooperate*. There are older folks and kids all over the place wanting a calm mount. I've got 2 more to finish breaking: Salma and Yumi. Both have accepted cinced saddles and have lunged. Salma will be broke soon. Yumi is pregnant so she's benefitting from the get out of jail free card right now.
I guess it's the reality that not all mares will breed, can breed, or even breed well (so shouldn't be bred) that really brings to light how important it is to break our broodmares so they have a future somewhere else. A good foundation can never be taken away from them.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#25 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

Salma, a 2001 model, has been successfully backed :th_cheer: Now onto a bit of walking and turning if the weather holds. Only 1 more to break but that will have to wait until this summer as she's due in April. After that, I'll have broke horses all around!

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users