Gaining Respect

63 replies to this topic

#61 Tricia

Tricia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses top the list along with my dogs and activities geared to them. I love making halters and presentation sets - started out by making one for a foal and after a lot of encouragement from people who saw the set started making them - now it is a passion! I also enjoy swimming, reading, traveling and good conversation with friends and strangers alike!

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:09 PM

Update on Karim - he decided on his own to clean up his act! Just abruptly stopped acting like a jerk and is now walking along at my side like a puppy dog with no chain. I can only think it must have been a hormonal thing - part of growing up. I did nothing other than walk him with the chain on his nose band a couple times. :PerspectMA19366318-0001:

This is typical of Karim - he has always had a ton of common sense and he is gentle and sweet most of the time. Easter Sunday the idiot neighbor (the other side neighbor is great) had company - I looked out to see a man, 3 little kids and a woman all heading for the fence to look at Karim - and Karim, besides being the nosiest horse I have ever had, eats up attention so he made a beeline for them and stood there just as docile as can be, getting petted and oohed and ahhed over. No nipping, no attitude, just my sweet boy. On the other side of the coin, yesterday he came flying up from the back pasture right to the gate in the front yard. He started to furiously paw the ground, then he would raise up and stomp it with both front feet, tossing his head and adding a few half bucks - the only thing I can think of to cause this little tantrum was that he got stung by something out back and came up front to lodge his complaint and vent his frustration! He could have done this out back, but he came up front where I would see him - after all, what good is a tantrum if nobody sees it?? Just like any other kid, when there is something wrong he wants his MOM! :)

Tricia

Arabian Whimzy on my facebook page - http://www.facebook....89&l=a3600d83fd

#62 janessa

janessa

Secret Oasis Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:30 PM

Karim is so funny!! That is great that he has decided to act better too! Wish my 3 year old would come to that decision lol.

#63 ponygirl

ponygirl

SLC CAMELOT FARMS advanced member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts
  • Interests:My interest mainly focus on my children and horses. Single mom of three grown children. I discovered my first arabian in 92 and have been hooked since. I have spent my life with many breeds and Arabians are the best. Their beauty never ceases to take my breath away

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:58 AM

I went to visit a friend and her horse the other day. The entire time that she was trying to work with him he tried to bite and nibble at everything. He invaded personal space too and he would only stop nibbling for a few seconds before going at it again. This is her first horse and she got him a year ago, he is a coming 3 year old and I guess he just wasn't ever taught anything about respect. I am just looking to find advice to give her. I have had very young horses bite but they did that only when they first came to me, they learned quickly not to do so but he is at the stage where it has become a horrible habit.

She has had a local trainer out a few times to teach her how to work with him etc. He free lounges, ground drives, and has been saddled, and she has sat on him for a few seconds, but it took forever to do those things because he is such a pest.

SLC Camelot Farms
Sherry

#64 ponygirl

ponygirl

SLC CAMELOT FARMS advanced member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts
  • Interests:My interest mainly focus on my children and horses. Single mom of three grown children. I discovered my first arabian in 92 and have been hooked since. I have spent my life with many breeds and Arabians are the best. Their beauty never ceases to take my breath away

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:00 AM

sounds like he needs some lunging everytime he tries!
SLC Camelot Farms
Sherry

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users