20 replies to this topic

#1 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:17 PM

Oh yeah, I came off my gelding at the end of the ride because I wasn't paying attention.....

I had a wonderful ride today. A woman from work has been wanting to ride forever so she finally came over and I tacked up Bubba and she got on Leisa. It was cloudy but warm with a beautiful breeze and the birds chirping. I decided to stay close to home "just in case" and ride around my neighbor's huge field. This was the first time Bubba had ever been out with another horse so I asked him not to dump me. Can you say, foreshadow? He was great. He tried to flirt with her, but when I didn't let him get close he got over it real quick. Granted, he pretty much followed wherever Leisa went, but I was fine with that. He's a green 5 y/o with low mileage so the more good, solid miles the better. I can work on the technicalities as we go. Leisa could have cared less if there was a pack of wild dogs coming after her. She was out on her walk and no one was going to interfere. She was amazing with Crystal, who has ridden but doesn't really know how to ride in a techincal nature, if you catch my drift, but loves to get on, drop to reins and turn around and chat the whole time. Needless to say we had a blast. This pretty much sums up the hour of riding ... :lol2: :1233_hand_clapping: :5298_orcspash: I LOVE that kind of riding, but I should have known better. I really let my guard down on a very green horse.

Well, I have 3 dogs who go on walks with us and go in and out of everything and don't think to ask me first about how it might affect the horses. Well, they say most accidents happen close to home. I could see my house and out of nowhere, my stupid dog comes out of an old barn and scares Bubba. He didn't bolt, don't get me wrong, but he has a massive leap and went up then out and litteraly he got out from underneath me and I was standing in stirrups that were out in front of me. I knew I was done for and dropped. I landed on my elbow, heard my neck crack (don't worry) but nothing really happened bad. He took a few steps trotting and then was like "well, what do I do now?" That fall was my fault. I should have know to pay more attention around a building with blind spots.

I told Crystal I had to get back on and we had to do some more riding to end the ride well. So, I got back on him and we went another 10 minutes or so around another field. We came up on my other mares. He got cute, did some dancing, I ended up getting off before something else bad happened but it was quite uneventful after that. He didn't want to leave the girls.

I had a wonderful day today and now have found someone else who wants to ride with me. I ride with a man down the street who has good horses to take a greenie out with as well, so am happy we might have ourselves a trio. ...and you thought my husband was leaving me! Shame!!!!

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#2 sheikh rissan

sheikh rissan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Oncology, Medicine, Arab Horses (obviously!), Driving Cars, Reading, Cooking, Eating, Pilates.... not in any particular order.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:29 PM

LOL Generally
But: Great that you have found someone to ride with. Good for you AND the horses.
Even better that you didn't do yourself a serious injury, and got to get back on and make the ride end on a good note.
Ditto to the getting off when you thought it was right to do so. (It usually is!)
You DID make me wonder what was going on when I read the title!!!
Julia

Kalinin ibn Baletina - 2001 Metallic Chestnut Stallion, Double Balaton
Strain: Hadban Enzahi (TF Elsissa DB 1870)
SCID, CA and LFS Clear.. Testing Centre VHL Holland

Sire: Kais
Pakistan (Kumir/Panagia) x Proba (Balaton/Palmira)
Dam: Baletina bint Inez
Balaton (Menes/Panagia) x Indirah bint Inez (Kauri/Shams el Inez)

Al Zomorood Arabian Stud

Allbreed Pedigree - Kalinin ibn Baletina

#3 Trish aka JMO

Trish aka JMO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:16 AM

Hey nice to read you finnished on a good note...just a question why does your gelding like the girls so much, was he gelded late...??

#4 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

Hey nice to read you finnished on a good note...just a question why does your gelding like the girls so much, was he gelded late...??

He was gelded around 15 months, so wouldn't really think studly behavior would be an issue, but he still shows off around the girls and, when pastured with the girls, would follow them around like a puppy dog and do whatever they said when they said it....like a good boy does LOL He even nickers at me when I pet his face from the saddle, which is even more odd. Who knows. He just thinks he's "the stuff" even though he doesn't have any "stuff" anymore.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#5 vclink

vclink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:37 AM

My gelding was gelded at 6 months and LOVES the girls! They, on the other hand, abuse him unmercifully.

Valerie Clinkenbeard

Bloodstone Farms

#6 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:38 AM

You DID make me wonder what was going on when I read the title!!!

:th_roflol:

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#7 Suellen Taylor

Suellen Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Dolls, Royal Doultons and Antique Costume Jewelry

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:06 PM

Wow Kate...me too...and I am glad to hear it ended well..hope you are not too sore today!

Have a good ride soon!!

TOP Of The Hill Arabians

Marshallville GA

Phone: 478-472-6141

Email: tophillarabs@windstream.net

The Gals:

Elegant Dahncer     Mahrdan x Kohlan 1995    Will stay with us for life!

Imdala El Jamaal         Dakharo x Imiella   2005    Bred to Marbeau Le Reve' (My last hurrah????)

The Guys:

Khalid Omar Khayal    GR Shadow x Khalia Spring 2005 (AKA Spunky Bruiser)  With us for life!

#8 Century Oak

Century Oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:50 PM

Whats the old saying that a good horse will dump a Prince just as fast as he will dump a groom? :ww: Sounds like you had a great ride, I love those kinds of rides as well! (well without the peekaboo dogs) The older I get the shorter I like my horses.. less air between me and the ground coming at me rapidly :D

So when do we get pictures? huh? huh?
Mental Meanderings Of A Barn Goddess

Guardian still to: Zandai Jasoor (Zandai Ibn Omar x Glorieta Saqlima) & Impress Rissala (Imtaarif x Zandai Om Roda)

Donna Sabatine
Kryo Kinetics USA Licensed Technician

Now serving Southeastern USA as well as South Central USA

#9 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:56 PM

Whats the old saying that a good horse will dump a Prince just as fast as he will dump a groom? :pete: Sounds like you had a great ride, I love those kinds of rides as well! (well without the peekaboo dogs) The older I get the shorter I like my horses.. less air between me and the ground coming at me rapidly :D

So when do we get pictures? huh? huh?

Yeah, I hear you about the height thing and I always had horses in the 14.2hh range and now most of mine are 15+ with Bubba being a solid 15.2. He is high off the ground I tell you. Thank goodness it had rained and there was some give. Had that been on dry ground or the road or a rock etc I might have broken my elbow.
As for the dogs, I call the mother/daughter pair Stupid 1 and Stupid 2. Their original names were Fluffy and Buffy (creative, I know) but usually the former is what comes out of my mouth.
I thought about taking pictures but once she got here we got talking and that was that. I'll have to snap some next time.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#10 ponygirl

ponygirl

SLC CAMELOT FARMS advanced member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts
  • Interests:My interest mainly focus on my children and horses. Single mom of three grown children. I discovered my first arabian in 92 and have been hooked since. I have spent my life with many breeds and Arabians are the best. Their beauty never ceases to take my breath away

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:02 AM

It happens to everyone sooner or later.
SLC Camelot Farms
Sherry

#11 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

We had an eventful day. I drove Bubba up to Ellen May's house in Winslow, AR for a ride. As known, the last time I ventured out with another horse I ended up on the ground. It was through no fault of his, but when the score is Ground - 1, Kate - 0 it makes one think twice.
Anyway, it is about a 50 minute drive and when we got there he met the mares and got thrown into the round pen for an hour so we could eat. When we went out, I did some quick round penning and the tacked up, fly sprayed and got on. Ellen rode her mare, Masada Adrianna????? (can't remember which Masada mare she rode), in with me and we got them used to each other. Bubba was a peach and even when she shyed pretty boldly, he just stood there and waited for my direction.
After on about 5 minutes in there, we went out. Her place is amazing and we walked up and down hills, some which were pretty steep, over poles, through tall grass etc and he really kept his head and his pace. He, of course, wanted to be behind her because he still thinks he's got a pair, but was easily redirected and did everything I asked when I asked it regardless of how close we were to her. At one point, he got bold and wanted to go ahead so we did and did some trotting up a hill.
We also encountered a huge truck on the road and 4-wheelers twice. He didn't even flinch. She commented on how well he took everything and couldn't believe he's only been on the trail 10+ times and only once with another horse.
We took some pics in the round pen. I hope to get them loaded. I really don't have any pics of him, so am hoping they came out OK. Will post if he doesn't look too much like a nag.
I am the proudest mama ever AND I didn't end up on my behind!!!!! WoooHoooo! That ALWAYS makes for a good ride.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#12 DJ Sheldon

DJ Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:59 PM

AND I didn't end up on my behind!!!!! WoooHoooo! That ALWAYS makes for a good ride.

Amen to that! Glad you had a great ride Kate.

DJ

#13 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:00 AM

Amen to that! Glad you had a great ride Kate.

DJ

Thank you! I am too. Here are some pics. NOTHING special, but you can at least put a horse to a name. He's fancier in real life and he'd agree with that statement, too :WELCOME56:
Here's the pre-game....

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF3130.JPG
  • DSCF3131.JPG
  • DSCF3133.JPG
  • DSCF3132.JPG

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#14 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

The kick-off.....

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF3136.JPG
  • DSCF3138.JPG
  • DSCF3139.JPG

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#15 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:03 AM

First pic - The other team, who I LOVED! What a mare and a trail horse. Whew. I need to confirm her registered name. She is SE and, I believe, SO.
Second pic - post game.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF3134.JPG
  • DSCF3140.JPG

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#16 Trish aka JMO

Trish aka JMO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:17 AM

Hey he looks great ...there is nothing more beautiful than a horse with a saddle on it's back and a happy rider. :WELCOME56:

#17 DJ Sheldon

DJ Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:35 AM

Goodness he's a leggy thing! He looks happy, and that is the best kind of horse.

#18 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

Thanks guys -
He has been wonderful to work with since very young. Reactive at times but that is going away every time I work with him. He gets better every day.
He is a leggy sucker! I usually don't like them so leggy for trail riding but he's proven to be good so far. He can really collect and control himself well on moderate hills, so I'm happy. Maybe he'll make showing at next year's EE in HUS. Who knows. With all the talk going on I almost feel compelled.
We appreciate your nice comments :PerspectMA19366318-0001:
Kate

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#19 sheikh rissan

sheikh rissan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Oncology, Medicine, Arab Horses (obviously!), Driving Cars, Reading, Cooking, Eating, Pilates.... not in any particular order.

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:42 PM

Hey Kate!
Greetings from Germany (Hamburg airport).

Lovely to see piccies of Bubba, I have really appreciated seeing him. He looks so lovely. Well done on your ride.

xx
J
Julia

Kalinin ibn Baletina - 2001 Metallic Chestnut Stallion, Double Balaton
Strain: Hadban Enzahi (TF Elsissa DB 1870)
SCID, CA and LFS Clear.. Testing Centre VHL Holland

Sire: Kais
Pakistan (Kumir/Panagia) x Proba (Balaton/Palmira)
Dam: Baletina bint Inez
Balaton (Menes/Panagia) x Indirah bint Inez (Kauri/Shams el Inez)

Al Zomorood Arabian Stud

Allbreed Pedigree - Kalinin ibn Baletina

#20 marywweeks

marywweeks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:05 PM

Great pictures of a wonderful horse. Congratulations on a wonderful ride and may there be any more! Can't wait to see him at the Event!

Mary Weeks

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users