6 replies to this topic

#1 Century Oak

Century Oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

A couple of years ago I purchased a trail saddle to ride in and to train with, it's drop rigged and fits my horses very well and omg sooo comfy, but to be sure I wasn't rubbing the horses I also purchased a non-slip pad that is shaped like a drop rigged saddle to go under it. The horses hated the pad, the reason I know it was the pad and not the saddle is because I was using a fleece pad prior and they had no issues, even tho it didn't fit the shape of the saddle. Jasoor especially was vocal and opinionated about it - His Highness has ideas about fit and comfort and he's very particular. I figured it was just him being a diva so put it aside for a plain old navajo saddle blanket, folded and used under the saddle. He was happy with this set up.

Well I'd been using the navajo blanket under the same saddle with Rissala and she's always been fine, not even a crowhop out of wearing the saddle as a greenie. Put the non-slip pad on her the other night and you'd have thought we had the NRCA finals rodeo going on out there. My sweet girl was pissed! Change the saddle pad out and back to everything being just fine.

The only thing I can figure is that the non-slip pad sticks a little too well and with longer winter hair it pulls maybe? Jasoor had more issues with it during the winter than the summer and that's when I stopped using it.

Anyone had this problem with the non-slip pads or do you horses seem to prefer one type of pad over another? I'd love to get a nice shaped felt pad to go under the saddle but they are costly and I'm half afraid to buy them without an approval from the ponies first!
Mental Meanderings Of A Barn Goddess

Guardian still to: Zandai Jasoor (Zandai Ibn Omar x Glorieta Saqlima) & Impress Rissala (Imtaarif x Zandai Om Roda)

Donna Sabatine
Kryo Kinetics USA Licensed Technician

Now serving Southeastern USA as well as South Central USA

#2 shall

shall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Anabelle EFS
    Khidron
    Sakher+ 2014 USEF HA Training Level Horse of the Year, Region 11 HA SHUS Champion

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:58 AM

I think you guessed - the pad is pulling hair and they don't like it, or it isn't cushioning enough if that is possible. Could you re-sell the pad and try another? I've had luck with Professionals Choice Air-Ride on my guy. He liked the synthetic Navajo, folded over twice, too. My only issue with the Navajo was that it looked like it would be hot, but I don't do enough Western riding to put that to the test. The Air Ride is pretty nice and I use that instead - easier to put on.

What size and brand, etc, of Western saddle is yours? That is another topic, isn't it? Finding one that fits.

A couple of years ago I purchased a trail saddle to ride in and to train with, it's drop rigged and fits my horses very well and omg sooo comfy, but to be sure I wasn't rubbing the horses I also purchased a non-slip pad that is shaped like a drop rigged saddle to go under it. The horses hated the pad, the reason I know it was the pad and not the saddle is because I was using a fleece pad prior and they had no issues, even tho it didn't fit the shape of the saddle. Jasoor especially was vocal and opinionated about it - His Highness has ideas about fit and comfort and he's very particular. I figured it was just him being a diva so put it aside for a plain old navajo saddle blanket, folded and used under the saddle. He was happy with this set up.

Well I'd been using the navajo blanket under the same saddle with Rissala and she's always been fine, not even a crowhop out of wearing the saddle as a greenie. Put the non-slip pad on her the other night and you'd have thought we had the NRCA finals rodeo going on out there. My sweet girl was pissed! Change the saddle pad out and back to everything being just fine.

The only thing I can figure is that the non-slip pad sticks a little too well and with longer winter hair it pulls maybe? Jasoor had more issues with it during the winter than the summer and that's when I stopped using it.

Anyone had this problem with the non-slip pads or do you horses seem to prefer one type of pad over another? I'd love to get a nice shaped felt pad to go under the saddle but they are costly and I'm half afraid to buy them without an approval from the ponies first!

Sakher+ 2009 HAHR/RPSI gelding, Sinatra Song x Anabelle EFS
     Region 11 2014 SHUS and Training Level Champion
Anabelle EFS 2004 SE mare, Shahir IASB x Thee Debutante
Khidron 2001 SE gelding, Hawkeye CC x Lady Minstril

#3 Century Oak

Century Oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

Omigosh just found this reply :) The saddle is a King Series trail saddle, nothing fancy and not high end but comfortable and it fits the horses well. Jasoor hated that saddle pad as well but loved the plain navajo pad folded under it, I dont think the navajo pads are as hot as you'd think and the wool felt pads are wonderful for breathability - I just can't afford one right now :)

The QH mare I'm riding has no issue with this non-stick pad though, maybe it's just the Arabians being a bit prissy? Who knows.. but it's her pad now and they get the cheapy navajo $6 special :th_party0010:

Guardian still to: Zandai Jasoor (Zandai Ibn Omar x Glorieta Saqlima) & Impress Rissala (Imtaarif x Zandai Om Roda)

Donna Sabatine

#4 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • Interests:My Family, friends and our beautiful Arabian horses.

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

Arabain's have finer skin than Q.H.'s and many other breeds.

I will double blanket using a navajo pad underneath. I just came across some when I took a short vacation to Cape Cod real nice ones ( super quality wool) for $4 bucks a piece! I love a good deal!

I like cashel pads, they are good quality and last for years.

Rising Phoenix Arabians is located in beautiful Chester Mass. U.S.A. in the foothills of the Berkshire's.
http://risingphoenixarabians.webs.com

We are A family dedicated to breeding our Arabians for performance and family enjoyment. Our Arabians are full of type, kindness, versatility, excellent temperament, athleticism and noble intelligence with World Class proven pedigree's. Feel free to contact us anytime, Sincerely Stephen W. Piispanen, Lisa M.Piispanen, Karina E. Piispanen & our grandson Noah Alenander.

We have 5 Arabian mares, our 2 Straight Egyptian mares are listed below.

MB Zareena ( Safeen X AK Shezara)- Dam of two superb Straight Egyptian foals. Dam of numerous X's SHIH Champion Straight Egyptian Stallion Amir Al Ahlam. "Amir" is doing excellent in his new home and competes in many open shows against all breeds. We are pleased to say he is an EXCELLENT performance stallion!  Amir will be doing his first Hunter Pace this coming weekend.

Ali's Zaafinah ( Achaean Ali X MB Zareena)- Dam of Bashyr Ali Safeen, Top Ten Egyptian Event colt.

http://risingphoenixarabians.webs.com BLACK PUREBRED COMING 4yr. OLD DOMESTIC BRED, ( HAS HIGH % EGYPTIAN) FILLY OFFERED FROM RISING PHOENIX ARABAINS.

#5 Chris_M

Chris_M

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:SE, Endurance

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

Interesting question. I had been riding my endurance horse with a Toklat fleece pad and there were no issues. Then, for the summer I switched to a waffle-weave, thinking it may be cooler. She occasionally snakes her head when riding, but haven't been able to correlate the behavior with any particular issue. Think I'll switch back to the Toklat and see how it goes.

Chris

#6 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:pedigrees, sport horse, music, movies

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

I don't do or know anything about western riding/gear. But I bought a saddle pad on the recommendation of my saddle maker's wife & the people who sell it are endurance riders & I think there is a western designed pad.
The way I use the supracor pad is I have one saddle that fits all my horses - my Norwegian Fjord has the least amount of wither/very wide. My Arabs have varying degrees of wither. When riding my Arabs I use the supracor pad - it lays on their skin, then the regular saddle pad lays onto of that. When you hold the supracor pad up to the light you can see it has myriads of tiny holes-honeycomb construction. It's been researched & keeps the temperature of the skin cooler than any other type of pad.
I've never had any dry spots or signs of wear with it. It's been so long ago, I can't remember where online that I bought it. It's not cheap, so read up on it first & maybe talk to some users.
JacqueB

#7 Century Oak

Century Oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

My QH mare has no issue with the waffle pad, but my Arabians flat don't like it. I've been riding Jasoor since he got home with my Wintec dressage saddle (CAIR panels) and a Roma pad and it's fine, no hot spots and no fussy horse, the saddle fits him phenomenally well and that helps. Eventually I want to put him back into a western saddle for Trail class training, but for now we are happy :th_cool:

Donna Sabatine

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users