• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 Desert Tag Arabians

Desert Tag Arabians

Advanced Member

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • Interests:Small breeders of Straight Egyptian/Al Khamsa Arabians. Standing the El Halimaar son Latif El Halimaar and his son EA Asaalah. Breeding program centers around El Halimaar and Prince Ibn Shaikh lines combined with Ramses Fayek lines. Occasional horses offered for sale.

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:07 PM

I've had a really bad day. I have clicked "reply" on several different topics in the past few minutes ready to vent all my frustrations on everything I read that is stupid, unkind or ugly. And, believe me, there were plenty of opportunities.

But, I'm not going to do that. I have a challenge for each of you instead. I would like to see each member post something nice about someone else's horse.

The rules?

It has to be a horse that you have never owned or intend to buy.

If it's a stallion, it can't be one that you have bred mares to or intend to breed mares to in the near future.

It has to be alive.

The icing on the cake would be a horse that's not splattered on every magazine cover in the world. Just someone else's horse that you like, for whatever reason. Tell us why you like the horse, and even better--say something nice about the owner as well (of course, it has to be true!).

I'm all for educated debates. I like a good argument that can turn into a learning experience. I do think we need to put it out there if we know an owner is neglecting or abusing horses.

I also think it's just as important to remember the good stuff too. You'll notice in the rules I didn't state that it has to be a horse you've seen in person. I debated on that, but in the end decided to leave it open in case someone can't think of something nice to say about any horse they've seen in person (it's a legitimate concern).

The final rule--if someone posts about a horse you don't like...just this once....leave it alone. And before anyone jumps to conclusions about why I'm doing this--this has NOTHING to do with the Alaa Jabbar thread. I have absolutely no opinion one way or the other in that issue and have nothing useful to say about it (other than it's received more attention that it deserves).

This is about doing something positive. Is there a breeder or horse whose life you've followed, online or otherwise? Is there a horse that you've admired from afar but never really said anything about it? Is there a person or horse that you would love to see succeed in whatever endeavors they're pursuing? Then say it here.

I'm going to think it over and contribute as well, hopefully more than once. Bringing up important issues in the world of SE's is important, but every once in a while it's nice to discuss those people and horses who are ignored because everyone wants to follow something with lots of hype and drama around it instead.

Angela

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway...." John Wayne

Desert TAG Arabians
Breeder of Straight Egyptian Arabians
Standing the Stallions Latif El Halimaar & EA Asaalah

Our Herd:
Latif El Halimaar (El Halimaar x Jamala Zaafinah)
EA Asaalah (Latif El Halimaar x Meadow Merata [x Rasmoniet RSI])
Taza Cindy (Shaikh Farida x Ramses Georgina)--
FOR SALE
AVA Amira el Sakr (SA Shaikh al Sakr x Bint Ishtar)
AVA Chelsea Rose (SA Shaikh al Sakr x Bint Ishtar)

Lezah Fasaalah (EA Asaalah x Azalea Farasha)

Visit Our Website! Desert TAG Arabians

Posted Image

#2 Cheryl L

Cheryl L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Arabians
    Gardening
    Poodles
    and a touch of photography

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:17 PM

Angela,
Three years ago, I was at the EE. In the back set of barns was a nice party going on. There was a very sweet lady and a very calm looking young stallion. You could see her beaming with pride, while her young stallion calmly took in the crowds. I do believe that ice cream was being served? Not sure on that one. I was handed a DVD and welcomed.
I stood back and watched the stallion walk around. Very beautiful animal. He had that calm, sweet look, yet still had that fire in his eyes.
Last year, I could not go to the EE and thanks to live feed, watched this same stallion, turn on quite the Liberty performance. How he matured. It was so nice to see him living up to his potential.
That stallion? EA Asaalah...AKA Turbo.

#3 Demelza

Demelza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:20 PM

isn't this what the "new pictures" thread is all about? Lots of unknown horses and some that are better known, and lots of people saying "I like that one" without any drama. :1233_hand_clapping:

#4 Desert Tag Arabians

Desert Tag Arabians

Advanced Member

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • Interests:Small breeders of Straight Egyptian/Al Khamsa Arabians. Standing the El Halimaar son Latif El Halimaar and his son EA Asaalah. Breeding program centers around El Halimaar and Prince Ibn Shaikh lines combined with Ramses Fayek lines. Occasional horses offered for sale.

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:21 PM

Well, I wasn't fishing for compliments, but......you've brightened my day Cheryl. I'm actually crying because it is nice to read something so nice. Thank you dear :th_cool: . And let me return the favor.

Cheryl doesn't know me from Adam. We've never done business together. But, when I needed help learning how to trim a horse for a show, she went above and beyond the call of friendship in helping me. When I needed help learning to condition a horse for a show, the same. She's one of those people who you can email, pm or call and she will do her best to help you. No strings attached. Nothing to gain. Just a sincerely nice person who is willing to share her knowledge with others.

You're good folk Cheryl. And, we need more like you :1233_hand_clapping: .

Desert TAG Arabians

Our Herd:
FOR SALE

Posted Image

#5 Desert Tag Arabians

Desert Tag Arabians

Advanced Member

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:22 PM

isn't this what the "new pictures" thread is all about? Lots of unknown horses and some that are better known, and lots of people saying "I like that one" without any drama. :1233_hand_clapping:

I suppose it is similar. But that's okay, isn't it? I mean, is it so bad to have TWO entire threads devoted to being encouraging and kind?

I think we can make room for this topic here. I hope so, at least :th_cool: .

Desert TAG Arabians

Our Herd:
FOR SALE

Posted Image

#6 Century Oak

Century Oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:27 PM

I don't think this is at all the same thing, this is actually more than just oohing and aahing over photos, people are going to have to come out and form thoughts that are actually nice to read as opposed to the other version.

Angela - I love this thread, what a cool idea! I have every intention of answering in detail once I get home and have time to form my thoughts :1233_hand_clapping:
Mental Meanderings Of A Barn Goddess

Guardian still to: Zandai Jasoor (Zandai Ibn Omar x Glorieta Saqlima) & Impress Rissala (Imtaarif x Zandai Om Roda)

Donna Sabatine
Kryo Kinetics USA Licensed Technician

Now serving Southeastern USA as well as South Central USA

#7 Demelza

Demelza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:30 PM

no, no I get it - little stories etc like Cheryl wrote, which are cool. I like :0)

#8 Christy Hazel

Christy Hazel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:32 PM

Cheryl that was the nicest thing I've ever heard anyone ever say to someone else when there was nothing to be gained on either side. Bless you.

Christy
LEZAH Arabians
EGYPTIAN ARABIANS WITH A SOUTHERN ACCENT
David and Christy Hazel

North Alabama

AND
Equine Photography by Christy
Visit My NEW Website christyhazel.com
New Lowered fees for ALL to afford nice photos

#9 Desert Tag Arabians

Desert Tag Arabians

Advanced Member

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:37 PM

I, for one, have SO many I want to mention...I'm not sure where to begin. It makes you feel good to consider how many good horses, and good people, there really are out there. That's why I wanted to do this, because after so many negative topics you tend to forget the good stuff.

Here's one of many....

Steve and Cyglenda Miller of Paradise Egyptian Stud are two of the nicest, most down-to-earth people you could ever meet. They have amazing horses, and I do mean amazing. But if you were to stop and chat with them (which you can, at the EE) you will find them to be kind and open.

They own the stallion DW Signature (Mahrdan x HHM Memory). He's 18 years old, and he has sired one outstanding foal after the other...foals that are winning in the halter and performance rings. To see him in person is a true treat. He's all stallion....very masculine beauty with great substance and that certain "aura" that takes your breath.

Attached Files

Desert TAG Arabians

Our Herd:
FOR SALE

Posted Image

#10 Tricia

Tricia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses top the list along with my dogs and activities geared to them. I love making halters and presentation sets - started out by making one for a foal and after a lot of encouragement from people who saw the set started making them - now it is a passion! I also enjoy swimming, reading, traveling and good conversation with friends and strangers alike!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:53 PM

Angela, this thread is long overdue - thank you for starting it!

I have two comments - not to slight anybody else whose horses I like, but these two immediately came to mind.

This one has nothing to do with bloodlines, conformation, or anything like that - it is about the understanding and kindness of a stallion. Many of you will remember Mary Kane from other forums. Mary has had Parkinsons Disease for many, many years - a few years ago I took her to visit Mike at Heirloom and Mary asked to ride Mon Amir - Mike agreed and Mary climbed aboard. There were two yearlings in the ring at the same time who were having a lot of fun tormenting Mon Amir - while Mon Amir gave all his attention to taking care of the lady on his back. He chose the speed that he felt appropriate for his rider and he ignored the pesky youngsters. His full attention was on keeping Mary safe. I saw him do the same thing with Mike's son when he was learning to ride - no matter how hard he tried to make that horse move out faster, Mon Amir kept it at a pace the boy could handle. This same horse, when Mike's foot hit the stirrup was already doing a jig - that is my idea of what an Arabian should be!

The other horse that comes immediately to mind is Krissa's (Whimzybeads) Tyler. Smart, willing, quick to learn and always gives his best. On top of that he is a real looker!! Tyler is a soulmate to Krissa - there is no measuring the amount of joy she gets from this partnership her beautiful Tyler!

Tricia

Arabian Whimzy on my facebook page - http://www.facebook....89&l=a3600d83fd

#11 ArabianArtist

ArabianArtist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Art, Arabian Horse, Web Design, sculpture, anything creative...

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:02 AM

I have a few horses that I admire...

I just love Dia Al Khalifah, he has some video footage on youtube, and he has one of the LONGEST necks I have seen on a straight egyptian. No, he isn't perfect, but I think he is super nice and would be proud to own a horse like him- or heck- even him! I love his classic lines and his long exaggerated neck- like my art LOL!

http://checkmatearab...m/khalifah.html and video:

I just love this horse. I think he is a gem. I honestly have thought about inquiring after him, however, I worry he is out of my price range.

The next horse is: The Mohave

I really like this stallion, I have always admired him and would love to have a daughter of his one day. True, he isn't perfect, however, I really just like to look at him and think he is a good breeding horse, as he seems to produce better than himself every and to me, that is more important than anything. He looks tall and powerful. Love him.

Even more than The Mohave I like his son Aramuss. What a lovely creature! He gets better and better to me! http://www.cressanth...com/page16.html

Another stallion that I think is a diamond waiting to be cut and polished is this horse: Sources Shaheen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly-bqpEELsw I like this stallion pretty well. I see potential. After watchign the video, I kinda want him. Geez, I could have like 8 stallions and no mares if I had the money to buy and ship them home!!! LOL

Good thread, I enjoy it :1233_hand_clapping:
Posted Image

#12 ArabianArtist

ArabianArtist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Art, Arabian Horse, Web Design, sculpture, anything creative...

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:18 AM

I, for one, have SO many I want to mention...I'm not sure where to begin. It makes you feel good to consider how many good horses, and good people, there really are out there. That's why I wanted to do this, because after so many negative topics you tend to forget the good stuff.

Here's one of many....

Steve and Cyglenda Miller of Paradise Egyptian Stud are two of the nicest, most down-to-earth people you could ever meet. They have amazing horses, and I do mean amazing. But if you were to stop and chat with them (which you can, at the EE) you will find them to be kind and open.

They own the stallion DW Signature (Mahrdan x HHM Memory). He's 18 years old, and he has sired one outstanding foal after the other...foals that are winning in the halter and performance rings. To see him in person is a true treat. He's all stallion....very masculine beauty with great substance and that certain "aura" that takes your breath.

He is really pretty! I can see why you like him!

Another horse I like very well and admire is Ali Hameen

http://risingphoenix...anstallions.htm

He is a NICE looking stallion. I would love to see some video of this stallion. I think he has classic looks, and I am just fascinated by his neck and head, very smooth and flowing, very pleasant to behold.
Posted Image

#13 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:19 AM

Angela,
Fun thread! I had to laugh when I saw it because we went to Arabians Ltd this past weekend and had a great time, as usual. I took pictures of the "gang" and thought about posting, but decided there was no way. (Sorry, I'm cheating and talking about a big farm)
So here goes in the nice thread a compliment about one of the horses I just adore!!
I had never seen Mishaal turned out and I've followed him since he stepped hoof in the US. He's been here 6 years and I've tried to make sure I see him every year. I figured out I've only missed 1 year and it was last year.
I saw him at the EE party they had at a race farm right after he arrived and just loved him. I loved how big he was. My first thoughts had nothing to do with eyes, ears, head or tail. I just thought about how fun and powerful he looked.
Fast forward 5 years and I had always seen him on a lead or in a stall. So, I was really surprised this past Saturday when he was turned out in the ring. He was so fun to watch. (Not as much as Alixer) I was just happy to see a horse that I think is pretty special playing and running. I don't care who he is or where he is, just that I am happy to know I've been able to have a visit with him for years and hope to do the same for years more.
I am also happy that the folks at Arabians Ltd open the doors for us to come up and see the horses. They know we have our own horses. They know we've heard the message over and over. They know I'll never be able to breed to Mishaal. But, they also know we will walk away smiling and will call in a year to come visit an adored horse and hope a legend is still there to see just one more time!
Here's a few pictures of Mishaal and I'll put one of TD for his fans too! Melissa
Attached File  a5.jpg   81.17KB   5 downloads
Attached File  a4.jpg   185.26KB   8 downloads
Attached File  a2.jpg   78.13KB   5 downloads

Melissa & Matt Raulerson
Jete' Arabians Home to:
Raja El Halimaar (El Halimaar x Mageenaa) 2001 Stallion
SCID Clear, LFS Clear, CA N/N

Hali Inasa (Abraxas Halimaar x Georgia Inasa) 2002 Mare
Zandai Ibn Zeidan (Zandai Abu Zeidan x MFA Tassideh) 2002 Gelding
Zandai Zavoniyah (Zandai Ibn Omar x Zandai Saouda) 2004 Mare CA N/N
Zandai Om Noor (Zandai Ibn Omar x Zandai Saouda) 2005 Mare CA N/N

Yara MM (Raja El Halimaar x Zandai Zavoniyah) 2012 Filly CA N/N (By Parentage)

#14 Teamster

Teamster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Interests:Arabian Horses, Thoroughbreds, SH Stephanique is seeing out her final years with me.

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:50 AM

Well, the nicest thing that ever happened to me in the Arabian community, was when Lynda told me I could have Steph for a very low price to be a companion for my TB. All my life I have wanted an Arabian mare. Steph was one I had admired, mostly through photos as she lived in Western Australia. She always stood out at me. You can imagine how totally thrilled I was that I could have her here with me for her final days. Lynda is a very lovely lady, and she breeds really special horses. She has a small SE program, but she is down to earth and very approachable.

Thank you Lynda.

The other nicest thing that happened to me with the Arabian community was when I bought my first Arabian filly, a grand daughter of Simeon Shai. Naively I wrote to one of Australia's top trainers at the time, asking him about the dam of the sire of my filly. I received back a hand written letter that was so full of love for this mare it made me want to cry. The guy was so really decent taking the time to write me. I still have that letter, it is one of the treasures I have of the breed as it also contains important information on a breeding line.

Thanks Glen, you have made such an impression on me.

(hope this fits in with your subject).
Cheers

Karen

IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO SOMETHING TODAY, MAKE IT SOMETHING AWESOME

#15 DJ Sheldon

DJ Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:02 AM

I really like Ali Hameen. I saw him as a youngster (maybe a 2 yr. old?) and I just loved him. He screamed Arabian type, and was handling all the confusion of the Equine Affaire like an old trooper. I've followed him in pictures since then, and I still love him.

Attached Files

#16 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,735 posts
  • Interests:straight egyptian arabian horse breeder since 1967.
    researcher, author of 24 book puplications on arabian horses, the straight egyptian index and others,
    quarantine staton and manager okayed by florida depeartment of agriculture.

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:14 AM

I've had a really bad day. I have clicked "reply" on several different topics in the past few minutes ready to vent all my frustrations on everything I read that is stupid, unkind or ugly. And, believe me, there were plenty of opportunities.

But, I'm not going to do that. I have a challenge for each of you instead. I would like to see each member post something nice about someone else's horse.

The rules?

It has to be a horse that you have never owned or intend to buy.

If it's a stallion, it can't be one that you have bred mares to or intend to breed mares to in the near future.

It has to be alive.

The icing on the cake would be a horse that's not splattered on every magazine cover in the world. Just someone else's horse that you like, for whatever reason. Tell us why you like the horse, and even better--say something nice about the owner as well (of course, it has to be true!).

I'm all for educated debates. I like a good argument that can turn into a learning experience. I do think we need to put it out there if we know an owner is neglecting or abusing horses.

I also think it's just as important to remember the good stuff too. You'll notice in the rules I didn't state that it has to be a horse you've seen in person. I debated on that, but in the end decided to leave it open in case someone can't think of something nice to say about any horse they've seen in person (it's a legitimate concern).

The final rule--if someone posts about a horse you don't like...just this once....leave it alone. And before anyone jumps to conclusions about why I'm doing this--this has NOTHING to do with the Alaa Jabbar thread. I have absolutely no opinion one way or the other in that issue and have nothing useful to say about it (other than it's received more attention that it deserves).

This is about doing something positive. Is there a breeder or horse whose life you've followed, online or otherwise? Is there a horse that you've admired from afar but never really said anything about it? Is there a person or horse that you would love to see succeed in whatever endeavors they're pursuing? Then say it here.

I'm going to think it over and contribute as well, hopefully more than once. Bringing up important issues in the world of SE's is important, but every once in a while it's nice to discuss those people and horses who are ignored because everyone wants to follow something with lots of hype and drama around it instead.

Angela

Dear Angela

this is such an excellent post of yours, it is so kind, so understanding. For years I preached, it should never matter if friend or foe, if it is a good horse.

I like to mention those I saw at the Al Khamsa meeting a few years ago in Ca. I saw such outstanding Asils, Davenports, Ses etc and met such wonderful people there too.
In my years I have seen so many truly outstanding Arabians, and with it people.
While there are SO MANY, I cant name them all, so leave it as I said above.

Take god care and God bless you Angela

Hansi
Hansi-Heck Melnyk
Serenity Arabian farms, Florida, USA

Posted Image

#17 Cheryl L

Cheryl L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Arabians
    Gardening
    Poodles
    and a touch of photography

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:25 AM

Seriously blushing here:) Thank you, Angela and Christy. Christy is the same way. For whatever reason, my email address was refusing Angela's emails.....so Christy stepped in and sent them on to me.

Sometimes it is not the big picture, but the little things in life. I learned so much in my years of attending the EE. Tips and advice that were given willingly, without hesitation. If they were busy, they gave me a time to come back and talk. I guess this is my way of paying it forward.

I am loving the stories.......all because I think that THIS is what it is all about. People and their love of horses.

I fell in love with a beautiful grey colt at the EE, one year. He had huge, liquid black eyes with the kindest, most intellegent expression in them. On the second day that I visited his stall, he was in trouble, he had gotten himself cast. He was laying calmly, although there were marks from where he was trying to get up. He rolled his eye back at me. I looked around and found 2 stable hands and told them that the colt was cast. They told me he was just laying down and not to worry. I drew myself up my whole 5 feet and told them if they did not get in there, I would do it myself. They went in the stall and got him out. As they are walking him around, they are thanking me profusely.
Everyday after that, I would go up to the stall and this colt would softly nicker at me. I never seen much of him after that, he got a life and went to Nationals. Then he was hidden away. Another lady bought him and I "found" him again.
Because of him, I have 2 very good friends....Melissa Huprich and Celene Howard.
That colt is the very gorgeous stallion, MB Mistaz.

#18 Desert Tag Arabians

Desert Tag Arabians

Advanced Member

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:35 AM

I have another one :1233_hand_clapping: .

Did you ever meet someone who you knew immediately was a genuinely nice person? The kind of person who just exudes kindness? For me, that would be Connie Arnett of Windfall Arabians. Connie is one of those people who is first in line with an encouraging word, or a word of sympathy, to those who need it. Always modest, never arrogant...and yet she has one of the most impressive stallions I've ever seen.

El Rhaqiis DSA, aka Rocky, is a gorgeous El Majid son that drew me in the first time I saw him. It was like I was staring at something that I knew was worth remembering, worth adoring. And the love Connie and her husband Terry have for him is so obvious....a love that's very deserving on both sides.

So, hooray for Connie, Terry and the beautiful Rocky!

Angela

Attached Files

Desert TAG Arabians

Our Herd:
FOR SALE

Posted Image

#19 whimzybeads

whimzybeads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:horses...of course, glass bead making, jewelry designing, camping and anything outdoors.

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:37 AM

Tricia....that is SO sweet of you to love Tyler like you do! YOU are the reason I have him, well...the main reason. I was so iffy when I was looking at him and you gave me the much needed push to make it happen. I just love this horse.

Now, before you posted about Tyler, I was going to post about Karim. I think he is absolutely fantastic!!! If I was a breeder or even had a mare for that matter, I would breed to him in a heartbeat!!! I love everything about him. If someone is looking for a working sport horse, endurance, or anything....he would fit the bill. His movement is something behold and I could watch him all day, everyday. You got something special there!
Krissa

Whimzybeads

#20 Century Oak

Century Oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:49 AM

One couple of many that stand out in my mind is when I met Ken & Mary Scribner of Magnolia Farms Arabians in Ocala, Florida when I was lucky enough to purchase Impress Rissala. For those that know Ken & Mary know them to be some of the nicest, most genuine people anywhere in the breed. I drove out that weekend after the arrangements were made and the filly was loaded with the feeling that I had found family and to this day, several years later I can pick up the phone and call either of them and have a very nice visit. They were so helpful and so understanding and truthfully helped me get started with my very first SE mare who has now grown into a beautiful lady. I am so thankful of them that they took the time and were willing to help me realize a dream.

At Magnolia they stand a gorgeous stallion named Ali Rahaim. Rahaim just oozes presence and was the sweetest guy, laying his head in my daughters arms for a face rub when we visited. A beautiful bay stallion, he has produced some wonderful foals and is one I always think about when I think of stallions. Their stallion page is down for some reason but the website can be viewed at www.magnoliafarmarabians.com
Mental Meanderings Of A Barn Goddess

Guardian still to: Zandai Jasoor (Zandai Ibn Omar x Glorieta Saqlima) & Impress Rissala (Imtaarif x Zandai Om Roda)

Donna Sabatine
Kryo Kinetics USA Licensed Technician

Now serving Southeastern USA as well as South Central USA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users