• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Arabians
    Gardening
    Poodles
    and a touch of photography

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:50 AM

I don't know if that is SAB in the photo from that shyster, Sheri Mose. She NEVER owned him, nor was he ever at her "farm".

The photo that I know is SAB was taken at the EE when Karen Kasper unveiled his bronze. I have the same photo only from the other side. I also have one taken in his stall, where I was allowed to go in and pet him and talk to him.
He never showed any signs of lameness the whole week. Not even some gimpiness that could have been due to arthritis.
I have seen a DSLD horse and that horse was euthanized because they were not able to control the lameness or the pain.

#22 Demelza

Demelza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:18 AM

If it's not SAB I'll remove it.... the horse does look awfully similar to the picture Trish posted though. I have no idea what the deal is with Sheri Mose... so I am sorry if I have offended by linking to her post.

#23 Al Zayd NZ

Al Zayd NZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:Arabian Horses, Al Zayd Straight Egyptians, Endurance

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:24 AM

If it's not SAB I'll remove it.... the horse does look awfully similar to the picture Trish posted though. I have no idea what the deal is with Sheri Mose... so I am sorry if I have offended by linking to her post.

I believe that would be a good idea.
David Marshall and Sandie MacLean
www.hollyfarmnz.com
(Home of Imperial Maakir, Simeon Sapar and Chaswyk Al Zayd.)

#24 Cheryl L

Cheryl L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Arabians
    Gardening
    Poodles
    and a touch of photography

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

Demelza, it does look similar to SAB, but I don't know for sure.
Any time Sheri Mose' name comes up........well, there are many, many stories. You had no idea, I am not offended.

#25 Katrin

Katrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:13 AM

I'm pretty sure the horse in both photos is the same. There is a line running down on the right side of his belly - maybe a scar? And the ears are exactly the same. In the first pic the fleshy parts on his flanks are more obvious, but looking closely you can identify them in the second pic.

#26 Juniper

Juniper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:47 PM

...actually I thought that the photo backed up the suggestion there may have been OTHER causes of his obvious pain, than DSLD! The horse is fat, and it looks like lumpy fat which is suggestive of diabetes... he could have been suffering mild but chronic laminitis for some time and using my imagination, I can visualise a horse who stands so as to get weight off his toes would put excess pressure on his limbs - locking up his hock/stifle area to help relieve the pain, something has to give... in this case his pasterns... yes an ASSumption! LOL.

Either way, I have faith in the intelligence of the membership of the forum in that they will think for themselves and make up their own minds based on what they see and read. I'm pretty sure nobody is going to give up their Ali Jamaals or Marwans based on this. :)

Hi Demelza

I never heard of the lumpy fat ... but I have a mare with that characteristic. I would love to hear more. May be in another thread

#27 maxhopemime

maxhopemime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

Christine, Being Nahareet has lumpy fat, and she is cushnoid, she does not have filled in areas abouve her eyes but does have a crest that will recede or enlarge if there is a higher carb/sugar content in a bale of hay.
Her most noticable fatty deposit is a lump on her hip the size of a soda pop can.

#28 Juniper

Juniper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

Christine, Being Nahareet has lumpy fat, and she is cushnoid, she does not have filled in areas abouve her eyes but does have a crest that will recede or enlarge if there is a higher carb/sugar content in a bale of hay.
Her most noticable fatty deposit is a lump on her hip the size of a soda pop can.

Talking about Spice. She does not have any other signs like bad shedding etc. I asked the vet and he does not think she is. I talked about lumpy fat to Cassie from Cornell and she sounded interested and wanted to see pictures (they are doing a study).
This the first time I hear about that - the lumps.
You need to come here Chris - it is miserable right now though - 108F....

#29 maxhopemime

maxhopemime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

Shh don't say anything about heat! I am still getting the coastal eddy here in Pomona, its rare this late in the year.
I don't want that blame heat showing up! would not mind if it forgot we where here.

I knew a QH mare back in the 70's that had celutlite type fat deposits on her neck and rump, at that time the thought was that sometimes that happens just like with people

#30 Juniper

Juniper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:33 PM

Shh don't say anything about heat! I am still getting the coastal eddy here in Pomona, its rare this late in the year.
I don't want that blame heat showing up! would not mind if it forgot we where here.

I knew a QH mare back in the 70's that had celutlite type fat deposits on her neck and rump, at that time the thought was that sometimes that happens just like with people

vet just left - did the teeth. I asked him also (other vet - 38 y experience). He also does not think Cushing but thinks it is from foaling. She has had two foals before I bought her.

PS. down to 101F and 23 m/h wind

#31 Ray

Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses. Breeding Straight Egyptian, Classical Spanish and Golden Cross.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:45 AM

So anyway - Beth? Any ongoing research on this one?

#32 DJ Sheldon

DJ Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

I was told that there is someone in TX supposedly working on this. If there is someone doing the research, I've got an old domestic bred mare who might be useful. Her dam also had the same problem. It seemed to become an issue for both mares about the age of 17-18. Here is a photo of both mares together back in 2004. The bay was 20 and the grey was 27.

Attached Files

#33 phanilah

phanilah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

Yes, there is some work going on in a couple of places. Dr. Cothran (was at UKY, now in TX) had done some preliminary work a few years ago and located several markers of interest, located across several different chromosomes.

I'll hunt down the info for the current research and post later on.

Beth
si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes

#34 phanilah

phanilah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

Okay, it is Dr. Cothran at Texas A&M and Dr. Halper at the U of GA...unfortunately I don't have their full contact info at hand, but it should be easy enough to find via a web search.

Beth

#35 Ray

Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses. Breeding Straight Egyptian, Classical Spanish and Golden Cross.

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:00 AM

Okay, it is Dr. Cothran at Texas A&M and Dr. Halper at the U of GA...unfortunately I don't have their full contact info at hand, but it should be easy enough to find via a web search.

Beth

Thank you!

#36 phanilah

phanilah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:35 PM

Yes, there is some work going on in a couple of places. Dr. Cothran (was at UKY, now in TX) had done some preliminary work a few years ago and located several markers of interest, located across several different chromosomes.

I'll hunt down the info for the current research and post later on.

Beth

I came across some work that I think was done a couple of years after what I referenced above and it looks like they have 5 candidate genes located on chromosome 14. My understanding is they are looking to build upon this work; but I haven't had a chance to talk either of them yet to see where they are.

Beth

#37 phanilah

phanilah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:40 PM

Some exciting news that is somewhat time sensitive so please read and considering supporting!

Dr. Gus Cothran at Texas A&M is interested in incorporating whole genome scanning using the equine SNP chip to help identify the gene(s) involved with DSLD. This is the same technology that was used to identify the LFS mutation and this technology is also being incorporated into the Cerebellar Abiotrophy research at UC Davis.

So, it is a very powerful research tooland like any good tool, it costs money. But, the good news is that were not talking about large sums of money here but still large enough that a group effort is needed. With the Arabian Horse Foundation having already allotted funds for 2010, unfortunately we cant assist with this project, at least at this time. But, this is important work that is on a short deadline to raise funding, so Im hoping that members of the Arabian horse community can help step up and support this effort; as Arabians are certainly a breed affected by this disease. So, while I always want people to donate to the Arabian Horse Foundation, this is a time that Im hoping people can also separately donate directly to the TAMU project.

A small, but very dedicated group of people has done a great job of raising the bulk of the money needed, but there are still several hundred dollars needed. Any donation is appreciated or if you have items you want to sale and contribute the proceeds, that is great too.

For more information on DSLD and what is happening with this project, the DSLD/ESPA Yahoo Group is packed with information: http://tech.groups.y...up/DSLD-equine/

If you are able to donate, here is a direct link: https://www.paypal.c...d=EK7Q425X7JH3W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users