4 replies to this topic

#1 Century Oak

Century Oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:47 PM

posted this on ABN but thought someone here might have some input as well :bigemo_harabe_net-03:

My thoughts originally had been to show Jasoor in western as I have done the hunter / sporthorse thing and wanted to do something different. He, however, has other ideas and has such a big phenomenal ground covering trot with a rider and just SCREAMS sporthorse.... so my pudgy old butt is in the market for a decent english saddle again.

I'm leaning real hard towards the Collegiate Senior Event Convertible saddle as I just love how they ride, they would be adjustable to fit whatever horse I had it on and they are mid range priced and hold up very well. Jasoor is almost snow white and would look fantastic in black, but this saddle only comes in Oakbark which is a very dark brown. Is there any way to darken them up does anyone know so that a black dressage bridle would not look out of place with it? I like the longer flap which would make it very suitable for dressage or SHUS classes both as well as jumping if we decided to pursue that (we wont! LOL) I just dont want to look out of place or mis matched and I really like the black.

Thoughts anyone? I just want a comfortable, adjustable and well made saddle that won't break the bank to purchase and will last us a good long while both for schooling and showing. I really wish black was an optional color with them >.<

Collegiate Senior Event
Mental Meanderings Of A Barn Goddess

Guardian still to: Zandai Jasoor (Zandai Ibn Omar x Glorieta Saqlima) & Impress Rissala (Imtaarif x Zandai Om Roda)

Donna Sabatine
Kryo Kinetics USA Licensed Technician

Now serving Southeastern USA as well as South Central USA

#2 sheikh rissan

sheikh rissan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Oncology, Medicine, Arab Horses (obviously!), Driving Cars, Reading, Cooking, Eating, Pilates.... not in any particular order.

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

Donna, I agree that this is not a colour I would choose for a grey. Do you have a master saddler near you? If so, get him to come and do a fitting, and ask him to recommend a make and model of saddle, and the seat size, and then buy one second hand (Ebay is good for this) and ask him to fit it to your horse...
My saddler made these type of recommendations to me, as the saddle I first had for Kali was bought in a rush and was not right for him. In the meantime, one of his hand made saddles came back in to the shop to be sold, and this fit Kali and I bought it.

I have a lovely Walsall Saddle Company show saddle (which didn't fit Kali) in a lovely aged dark brown leather... Shame I'm in the UK, eh?

Albion do saddles (leather) for which you can pop off the flaps and the knee rolls, thus changing from a GP saddle to a dressage or jumping at the pop of a popper, so to speak... They might be good for you, and they come in black.
J
Julia

Kalinin ibn Baletina - 2001 Metallic Chestnut Stallion, Double Balaton
Strain: Hadban Enzahi (TF Elsissa DB 1870)
SCID, CA and LFS Clear.. Testing Centre VHL Holland

Sire: Kais
Pakistan (Kumir/Panagia) x Proba (Balaton/Palmira)
Dam: Baletina bint Inez
Balaton (Menes/Panagia) x Indirah bint Inez (Kauri/Shams el Inez)

Al Zomorood Arabian Stud

Allbreed Pedigree - Kalinin ibn Baletina

#3 Century Oak

Century Oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:48 PM

The reason I like the collegiates is because I've had several rides in them and they are wonderful, seem to fit a wide range of horses and he isn't hard to fit, just wide. They also age to be quite dark and are still a very good, middle of the road, well made saddle that tend to last a very long time :th_roflol: I agree the Walsall saddles are wonderful but out of my price range. I hesitate to buy anything used off of Ebay without being able to try the saddle on my horse first and being able to ride on it, I went through several saddles until I found the Stubben that fit Prince quite well, but Jasoor hated it when we tried it with him (typical as he's a diva). Sadly no master saddlers around here, just a bunch of cowboys in synthetic western saddles *twitch*

As far as the UK.. ha! the UK doesn't scare me, I have family there and know how to ship!

Guardian still to: Zandai Jasoor (Zandai Ibn Omar x Glorieta Saqlima) & Impress Rissala (Imtaarif x Zandai Om Roda)

Donna Sabatine

#4 Century Oak

Century Oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:11 AM

Well.. after 90 days of solid training Jasoor is definitely saying he wants to be a dressage / sporthorse type. There goes my dreams of my western horse :P In any case, I get a crash course in remembrance for dressage riding and am looking at a Kiefer dressage saddle a friend has for sale for him. I rode him again yesterday and WOW... what a trot! He has such great impulsion and cadence, definitely a challenge to post it in a western schooling saddle ;) I have pics and video but not sure I want to post my riding video as I don't want people to judge him by how bad my balance is at the moment. I will say it's a great blast to ride him though and I'm seriously enjoying it. I'm very glad I decided on training as opposed to breeding this year!

Donna Sabatine

#5 marywweeks

marywweeks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:25 PM

Go with a used Lovatt and Ricketts (L&R). The Arabian Saddle Company was actually a spin off of the L&R saddles. I've been through numerous forward seat saddles but nothing can touch my L&R All Purpose for fit on a wide variety of Arabian backs. Of course there is my Owen sidesaddle that comes close, but not quite. ;-)

Mary Weeks

posted this on ABN but thought someone here might have some input as well :bigemo_harabe_net-03:

My thoughts originally had been to show Jasoor in western as I have done the hunter / sporthorse thing and wanted to do something different. He, however, has other ideas and has such a big phenomenal ground covering trot with a rider and just SCREAMS sporthorse.... so my pudgy old butt is in the market for a decent english saddle again.

I'm leaning real hard towards the Collegiate Senior Event Convertible saddle as I just love how they ride, they would be adjustable to fit whatever horse I had it on and they are mid range priced and hold up very well. Jasoor is almost snow white and would look fantastic in black, but this saddle only comes in Oakbark which is a very dark brown. Is there any way to darken them up does anyone know so that a black dressage bridle would not look out of place with it? I like the longer flap which would make it very suitable for dressage or SHUS classes both as well as jumping if we decided to pursue that (we wont! LOL) I just dont want to look out of place or mis matched and I really like the black.

Thoughts anyone? I just want a comfortable, adjustable and well made saddle that won't break the bank to purchase and will last us a good long while both for schooling and showing. I really wish black was an optional color with them >.<

Collegiate Senior Event

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users