#1 Majolica

Majolica

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:56 AM

Hi-
I have been a lurker on this forum for several months now, however, I have never posted before. I have a yearling colt who I feel would benefit from training for halter classes. I had never planned to send him out, because I am afraid of how he would be treated. I just am not overly pleased about how his halter stance is coming though. If he were a gelding or a mare I wouldn't worry about it, but as a young stallion prospect I feel that the ability to show him in a halter class would be beneficial. As such, I would like to know who you would recommend as a humane halter trainer? Thank-you.

#2 marywweeks

marywweeks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:43 PM

I would highly recommend Alice Smith of Bent Tree Arabians. She is kind, calm and very knowledgeable. You can actually ride one of her horses after their halter training. Imagine that? (I'm being a bit sarcastic re: the training techniques of some of the "better known" halter folks.

Mary Weeks

Hi-
I have been a lurker on this forum for several months now, however, I have never posted before. I have a yearling colt who I feel would benefit from training for halter classes. I had never planned to send him out, because I am afraid of how he would be treated. I just am not overly pleased about how his halter stance is coming though. If he were a gelding or a mare I wouldn't worry about it, but as a young stallion prospect I feel that the ability to show him in a halter class would be beneficial. As such, I would like to know who you would recommend as a humane halter trainer? Thank-you.

#3 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Interests:Egyptian & Fadjur bloodlines, pedigree research, dressage, trail riding, Horse Council, 4-H, horses in education, halter and performance

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

Two from the past who we studied and emulated are Ron Palelek and Mike Neal, who both have websites. Saw them both at the West Coast Pyramid Society show in the early 80s and at Scottsdale and at the EE in 1985, and saw Ron here in Vegas at a judges' school. Found them both to be very correct to the rules of showing, very professional, and very respectful to the horse (only using what was neccessary, slow rather than fast, and less rather than more). I again saw Mike here in Las Vegas a few years ago and studied him in main ring halter and then followed him around in the barn area, and saw the same thing I saw in the 80s---calm handling of the horse. Many of the people I know here have horror stories of sending away their horses for halter, esp. a colt/stallion.Many trainers present one part of their technique to the public and then the rest "behind the scenes", and you may not get the horse you sent to them, or a horse back at all. Also if your colt is a good one, he may not get equal or fair time/effort compared to others that the trainer has. Many trainers have too many horses, and some only get worked by underlings, and then fine tuning just prior to or AT the show. You will pay for the horse just standing in the stall. There is a great old video called "Conditioning the Halter Horse for show" or "Preparing-----" by Ron Palelek, training and narrating and filmed at Vantage Point, where he takes super time and attention to details of walking the horse on a straight line, keeping the horse in its proper relation to the handler, asking the horse to move out, and transition from one gait to another, setting the feet, asking for neck. My horse was shown at halter before we got him at 3, but he was started well, and we received him and continued on with his halter showing ourselves, and his halter work before us and with us had no negative impact on his gentle behavior and his life under saddle. That is what you want,... to have a horse that can be shown at halter AND have a full healthy/sound life (mentally and physically) after that too.

#4 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Interests:Egyptian & Fadjur bloodlines, pedigree research, dressage, trail riding, Horse Council, 4-H, horses in education, halter and performance

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:05 PM

Mary---we have the same thought re halter and performance..... :>)

#5 Betsy Huber

Betsy Huber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

There are a number of DVD's available to purchase to help you train the horse yourself both for show halter and respect training.

The barn-help will kill your horse before the trainer gets to him these days.
Betsy Huber
StarRidge Arabians, Michigan
Starridgebreed@aol.com

#6 Century Oak

Century Oak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

So many different thoughts on halter training out there. For me personally it was going to clinics with my horse and picking up what I could use, discarding the rest. Went to one just recently that had some good information but one of the suggestions they had... well let's just say that I agree with Steve Diamond... Egyptians are war horses and if you want a battle, they will give you one. The biggest thing I've learned about handling my SE stallion as he's grown up here is not to challenge him... Discipline yes but an outright challenge and he will step right up to the plate without backing down. You can get exactly the same results by asking in other, softer ways without the ensuing fight. Some of the things I've seen suggested and done to halter horses to get a look or ears would get ears... but they would be pointed straight back and not a very nice face probably followed by an outright war from my guy who happens to have alot of fight in him. You simply can't pick at SE's and it not affect them. This is the same horse that will go to sleep with his head in my arms while I'm rubbing his ears and tongue.. he just will not tolerate abuse of any kind. Abuse is far different than discipline.. but many trainers don't know the difference and don't care to learn.

Halter is not difficult, if you take it in steps and just train them yourself. Going to clinics and watching, asking questions, watch videos and learn all you can will do more for you and your horse than you imagine. That and you don't have to worry about what happens behind the scenes in halter training ;)
Mental Meanderings Of A Barn Goddess

Guardian still to: Zandai Jasoor (Zandai Ibn Omar x Glorieta Saqlima) & Impress Rissala (Imtaarif x Zandai Om Roda)

Donna Sabatine
Kryo Kinetics USA Licensed Technician

Now serving Southeastern USA as well as South Central USA

#7 Windfall

Windfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:56 AM

I second Mary's recommendation of Alice Smith. She is a class act. Having watched her with several stallions she's handled, you can see in the way they respond to her that they trust her and respect her, but there's no fear or anger at all. I just wish she lived a little closer! I would also highly recommend Larry Jones, but I'm not sure he's still showing halter. I think he's more performance now and sport horse, in particular. He's a great guy and horse's really respond to his kindness. Now,with that being said, I also agree with Donna. With a yearling, you've got a blank slate and you can study and train yourself to handle his halter training. It's a lot easier for you to learn how to train him yourself at this point in his life than to try to UNTRAIN what happens too often when they go away from home.

Good luck,
Connie
Terry & Constance Arnett
Windfall Arabians
Henrico, VA
(804)795-1954

El Rhaqiis DSA 2001 SE Stallion (El Majiid x Rhalah by Ibn Shaikh)
Rapture DSA 1998 SE Mare (Fakim El Mareekh x Rhalah by Ibn Shaikh)
Dameera DSA 2000 SE Mare (Harakka x Delha by Dalul)

www.windfallarabians.org

#8 DELGADO

DELGADO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

Consider doing it yourself. http://www.ammyarmy.com is a source for help.
CDR Dimitri Delgado
Delgado Prized Arabians
http://www.delgadoprizedarabians.com

Home of:

TF SIR PRIZE (Noble Prize X Premonishahn by Bey Shah)
SIRPREMACY DP (TF Sir Prize X Cicadia by Monogramm)
LUMENA ELLAS (Lumiar Amadeus X Poetic Psyche by Padrons Psyche)
ZAMA DP (Sir Fames HBV X Lumena Ellas by Lumiar Amadeus)

#9 Nadj Al Nur

Nadj Al Nur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts
  • Interests:Horses
    Art (painting and teaching)
    Writing

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

Two trainers already mentioned I would never let touch my horse because I've seen what they can do.

I agree.
Cathy

Posted Image

#10 Kristine

Kristine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

Two trainers already mentioned I would never let touch my horse because I've seen what they can do.

Me too!! It is amazing that people sometimes see a clinic and think that the trainer is so great, and non-abusive. They forget the trainer has his or her marketing hat on.

I had a friend go see a certain lady trainer's clinic years ago. My friend raved about her and her humane methods of training. I told her I have personaly watched this particular trainer flip horses over, and terrify them to the point that if she had a whip in her hand that horse was leaving!!! I have seen her intimidation tactics in the ring, up close showing next to her. My friend had met this lady trainer twice and was so stricken with her, she said I had to mistaken (possibly jealous). You need to watch trainers actions, not what they say. you need to watch the horses reactions as well.

Amanda, I did pretty well making a living as a gentle halter trainer here. I live in riding country, people love showing halter but they want to ride too. Most of them were anti-halter until they figured out you can show halter and cut cattle on the same horse!! I could still fill a barn today if i wanted to go back to it.

Kristine

Home of and slave to

Spencer, Psyfawn, Black horse and Diva.

#11 WolfeArabians

WolfeArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:20 PM

We were in the same situation last year. I hated the idea of sending one off because it is extremely hard to know what exactly goes on when you aren't around. We chose to send our colt to Mark and Deb Burke at Amethyst Acres Equine Center and I am 150% pleased with their work. He was well cared for, worked daily, and extremely well-educated by the time we picked him up. AND, most importantly he is the same well-adjusted, well mannered, free spirited boy as the one that left our farm back in February. He is not jumpy, flighty, or fearful of anything but especially not of the handler or whip. Mark was very good to work with me on how to handle him and to show me EXACTLY what they had been doing so that we could continue working once we were home and on our own. Mark even spent time with us at the Event schooling with me and helping us fine-tune our act :-) I plan to send at least one filly and possibly another colt to them in December, I cannot thank them enough for taking such good care of our very special boy!
Jessica Wolfe
Wolfe Arabians
Straight Egyptians
www.wolfearabians.com

#12 sdlarabians

sdlarabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:20 PM

If you are in Michigan, consider sending him to Libby Bloneshine. She worked great with our colt. I was very pleased with the manners that he learned as well as the halter stand up. If you are interested, let me know.
Alison

Shear D-Lite Arabians
Breedres of PERFORMANCE Straight Egyptians
http://sheardlitearabians.com/

Standing at stud: El Rashiid MA (El Majiid x Maar-Riana [*El Mareekh])

"El Rashiid MA is bred generations deep to sire beautiful athletes" ~ Arlene Magid

#13 marywweeks

marywweeks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:41 AM

Another trainer to consider is Dana Coffey of Hill View Arabians. Dana is located in Martinsville, Indiana, not far from Indianapolis. I have watched her work with horses first hand for several years now. Her barn is a quiet, kind place and my mare, Summer, has flourished there. Watching Dana work with horses is refreshing in that there are no gimicks, no pressure and positive rewards for her charges. Her record in Sport Horse in Hand and Under Saddle is very impressive.

Last year, Dana worked with our Indiana Youth Group last year in preparing them to show Summer. The kids were amazingly successful, garnering Region 13 Top 5 Sport Horse Mares, Region 13 Open Mares, US National Championship Top Ten Open Sport Horse Mares. Dana's understanding of presentation and the response of the horse to positive reenforcement made the year a success for our kids.

So, if you are located in the midwest, I would highly recommend her as a trainer. And like Alice Smith in Mississippi, Dana's horses are rideable. A refreshing perspective!

Mary Weeks

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users