#61 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:pedigrees, sport horse, music, movies

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

Won't be posting much in the future because training is so redundant to write out. So yes we're still working away at getting ready for a June training level test and making progress. Maybe we'll do a w-t intro test in May, just to get the newness out of the way. April/May we'll be trying to get her bred to The Elixir.
If I get anybody to film/photo us I'll post it.
JacqueB

#62 Windfall

Windfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:26 AM

Jacque, I'll miss your frequent updates. I look forward to following your progress with Majiida. Having her paternal 1/2 brother, I sort of vicariously am riding along with you! (I wish!)

I'll stay tuned and hope for some pictures and news of her training level test.

Connie
Terry & Constance Arnett
Windfall Arabians
Henrico, VA
(804)795-1954

El Rhaqiis DSA 2001 SE Stallion (El Majiid x Rhalah by Ibn Shaikh)
Rapture DSA 1998 SE Mare (Fakim El Mareekh x Rhalah by Ibn Shaikh)
Dameera DSA 2000 SE Mare (Harakka x Delha by Dalul)

www.windfallarabians.org

#63 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Interests:Egyptian & Fadjur bloodlines, pedigree research, dressage, trail riding, Horse Council, 4-H, horses in education, halter and performance

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

Me too, as we are sort of related as well. I had an Ansata Ibn Sudan son from the age of 3 to 27, and El Majiid is one of those I have followed over the years. I saw several horses from Somerset/Downing at the California Classic/West Coast Egyptian Event,& the Reno Fair, and visited Ansata in l985, and have a video from Mose Arabians showing El Majiid there in Michigan in later years, but also when younger at Vantage Point in Washington, when he was with Ron Palelek. Interesting how there are several El Majiid get-owners here on this website..........

#64 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

Awww, well please don't leave us too in the dark. At least if we can get some highlights, major progress/changes, challenges etc. I love reading about it. I don't feel so alone LOL and you have lots of insight and are way more methodical than I am, so it helps to read from someone who is a better trainer.
I'm about to go outside and ride as we hit close to 70 today. The ground is not good, but I can accomplish some walk/trot, stretching and circles. I'm beginning to think May is way to close for SHUS.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#65 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

Well, gee, sports fans...tho't I was boring everyone to tears with the monotonous "blog" of doing the same things over & over again...training. So it was a very pleasant surprise to read your posts & realize at least y'all weren't wondering why I was writing down the minutia of training.
We did quite a bit of ring work today & I think I've diverted a soreness issue that was showing up.
Remember I had dropped down to just the Nunn-finer non-slip pad & saddle & straight girth strap. Well when I was untacking on Sunday I noticed Majiida's skin kinda pull away when I was currying along her spine under the cantle part of the saddle on the right side of the spine - just anterior to the loin. I didn't think much of it at the time. Monday when I worked her on the lunge line, there it was again. So after her work I did some TTouch circles + fascia release which her tissue responded to readily. Then I went back over it with the curry - no reaction.
When I was tacking up today there was a little reaction again with the curry. So I just did fascia release for a couple of minutes, her tissue released right away - checked & there was no curry reaction after the fascia release. So today I used the supracor pad with the non-slip Nunn-finer pad. When we untacked there was no sensitivity so I think the fascia release worked & it looks like she needs the supracor pad. One thing I discovered when doing the fascia release was how much muscling she's developed in the loin - very pleased with that. Also, I was thinking she's also developing some muscling over her forearm as well.
Ring work today. Much more trotting that previously. Working on the trotting freely forward & several times she asked to have head all the way to the footing & I gave it to her - she did almost the whole ring that way, one time. Definitely getting the transitions walk to trot & trot to walk with the head not coming up with consistency - yeah. At the trot, on her strong side - counterclockwise she can get the correct bend sometimes and sometimes with stretching down - very inconsistent. Clockwise, her weak side, it's still quite tough for her. I wasn't convincing enough with lower leg/inside hip down/inside rein intermittent pulls, so I would just slow her down & do leg yields & try to get her relaxed with her head down & neck long at a walk, hoping she'd get the idea of what we were working towards. All the beginning walk work, freely forward with rhythm & correct bend was pretty successful but still needs to get more perfected - consistent length of step for each arc of the circle.
The good part was the untacking & seeing all the sweat between the back legs all the way around including over the stifle. Another thing I'm not seeing is muscle development in the lower/underside part of her neck, so I'm avoiding resistance behavior in the neck - yeah.
We did some good ring work on Sunday + plus a big trail ride. So tomorrow, I think I'll start her off lunging using the nice long side reins with the very low placement. But I think tomorrow I'll add the polo wrap from each side of the girth strap & kindof under the butt. See if I can get her to more regularly correctly push off from behind & be more efficient. Then we'll just trail ride after that - getting some trotting up gradual inclines & a few good hills.
JacqueB

#66 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

Yes! the polo wrap around surcingle girth strap under the butt was a great success. Also I shortened the inside siderein by one hole. On her strong side she did very good trot work & was just about grazing while walking, very good work, nice & forward. But the weak side is quite different. But did finally get her stretching down especially "flexing" at the poll with the correct bend while trotting. One thing that was interesting was while I was untacking her she showed a bit of sensitivity while using the curry, so I did for a very short time fascia release, hardly needed any over that same right side of the vertebra in front of the loin. But my thinking was, well I should probably do both sides...omg...there is such a difference in her muscling along her left side of vertebrae compared to her right side. When I'm riding I always think of the strong & weak side related to their neck, not along the back one side or the other, but of course that would only make sense. No wonder she's having difficultly, she lacking the muscling. I'm in the process of rehabbing my shoulder & I'm strengthening by light repetition - 3x15 reps & when that's easy I move up to stronger stuff. So I think I need to do more frequent, but not very much lunging with the surcingle at the trot using the long/low, one hole shorter sidereins with the polowrap going clockwise. Try for 2 trotting circles with head down/flexing at the pole/correct bend & freely forward - when I can 2 times a day, at least once 5 times a week. Get some strengthening over the right side of her back without any saddle. Follow up with fascia release or at least TTouch circles.
Out on the trail she's much more freely forward at the trot, even offering to canter. very nice serpentines down hills - legs yields quite nice. Very accurate 1/4 turns for turn on the forehand.
progress.
JacqueB

#67 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

Experienced the pleasures of working with a trained horse yesterday, well, trained in this respect. Linda Tellington-Jones when she's teaching ground work for under saddle training, she has the horse stand while you walk all around it & the horse learns to stay put, not follow you around when you use the command "stay" or "stand". I've adapted this to my ground work.
Yesterday, Majiida had her bridle on, lounge line attached to the bit, surcingle with side reins in place but clipped to the center ring on the surcingle - oops don't have the polo wraps on her front legs or one to tie around her butt. I walk her to the gate, lay the loops of lunge line over the gate, ask her to stand, I go around the corner & get the polo wraps & get all 3 in the appropriate places. The whole time she doesn't move a muscle. Ahhhh, the simple pleasures!
JacqueB

#68 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

Majiida's weight is excellent, but the training/exercising is transforming her body. The "mutton" look to her withers is about gone. Her withers are becoming well defined.
She's back in a heat cycle, probably because of a new gelding on the farm. But 15 mph winds & heat cycle didn't keep her from doing a good job tromping thru the woods & doing good ring work on Saturday. Sundays work was beginning in such a mediocre fashion, I decided that the extended good work on Saturday had left her working muscles tired, so we just stopped went about walking & trotting hills & wondering around the farm & adjacent neighbors farms.
Still making progress, albeit slowly, with the lunge work-long low sidereins & polo wrap around her butt.
One thing that happened that was pretty funny. We've got this lovely mowed field with a nice incline that we use for trotting sprints - Saturday, she went into a canter & of course I want her to exercise both sides evenly so I was bringing her back to a trot- she wasn't having it & was kind of bucking/cantering & pulling me off balance so I just let the reins go & told her the canter was the easiest thing to ride & she could do what she wanted - well, she decided that her temper tantrum had back fired, suddenly we're back at a trot and she was back paying attention to her surroundings & appreciating the comfort of my legs/seat & we moved off in a different direction. Of course we had to go back & trot up the hill again, but I had so sweet talked to her & told her what a good girl she was that she believed it & did a lovely trot up the hill.
Another frustrating experience for her, is out of the blue, I'll ask her to stop, stand then do 1/4 turn on the forehand. She fussed about 5 minutes the first time. I kept bring her back to stand in the same spot bemused by her irritation. Finally she stayed still long enough for me to stoke her neck & tell her what a good girl she was. Then it was some more negotiating & she got her 1/4 turn on the forehand which she knows instantly how to do in the riding ring. Yesterday we got it done on the first try.
The leg yielding work is coming along much faster than the strength over the top line work. You can see that she's moving much more flexible out of her shoulder even in the pasture.
JacqueB

#69 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:17 AM

Gee, I thought, I had taken some pictures for you with my cell phone when I was lunging Majiida, but I didn't have my glasses on & at 60 that's a real handicap, so who knows what happened. But my client is coming out on Saturday and maybe we'll get a few then.
For the first time I rode Majiida this morning + lunged her this evening. Today she didn't show any kind of heat behavior, so I think all the showy stuff on this weekend was the new gelding on the farm.
We did only ring work & I kept it at ~ 45 minutes on just ring work.
Started off with freely forward walking each way then into the spiraling in & out each way & some transition with trotting to walking then lateral/leg yield - she'll do that all the way across the arena & down the each of the long sides pretty easily on her strong side, not so easy on her weak side. Tried the trot then walk with correct bend into corners then trot down the long sides. Then I just went for freely forward trotting 3 times around the ring. When I insisted on the correct bend, the head would get up & she'd be resistant, so I'd get so I'd drop my inside hand really low & as soon as she would give & give me the correct bend, I'd give her alot of release on the rein & say good girl & keep her going forward with my leg and seat & she'd stay with the correct bend. I know I'm going to have to keep the reins much more even eventually but I got what I wanted & she didn't get frustrated. I'd really like to see some videos of us, because I don't think she's really getting her head down good enough, but I am feeling some better impulsion at the trot. She was a good girl, didn't really get frustrated and seemed to be trying, I was pleased - It's just so slow getting that work over the top line done right.
The lunge work again, she didn't get too frustrated, did keep trying. She's doing this "hitching" of her neck on her weak side when she goes into a trot - it involves her head coming up. So I worked alot on the slow walk to trot transition. I'd only almost quietly ask for the trot when her head was really stretched down at the walk & reward her if she pretty much kept her head low and she powered into the trot from behind instead of doing the hitchy thing with her neck & her head coming up. We didn't do to much sustained 1 or 2 circles - I just kept harping on getting that transition right.
I'm enjoying her evolving work ethic. She's definitely trying to figure what I want & make the effort.
Oh, forgot to mention that after the ring work while untacking, her muscles over her loin were very warm - responded well to light fascia release- head dropped, eyes softened. Had sweat between the legs even tho' she had virtually no sweat.
Edited to add-Anitae, think it is high time to get those cavaletties out- I do have that video you suggested, going to fire up that vhs right now.
JacqueB

#70 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:50 PM

Was getting discouraged with the slowness of progress, developing strength over the top line. Went to Education Sunday put on by our regional dressage association. Watched a Spanish Riding school trained person do close & long line work with a 24 yo rescued TB mare. It was a lesson in everything with horses takes time & patience. Sat for the panel discussion lead by dressage judges on the new dressage tests and I think what is reasonable with the new judging directives is to do the Intro A-B-C tests, the C tests includes canter. The new tests describe more clearly what the judge is supposed to see, correct bend, contact, correct geometry, not just regularity & rhythm. So Majiida & I will be doing good to get the new intro tests done well.
Caught a couple of pictures this evening after feeding Majiida I've been putting her in the cross ties & doing light fascia release & then stimulating back lifts - digging a bit~7 cm on each side of the sacrum & using my fingertips to rub firmly up into her abdominal midline. She's really picking it up much better than last fall/even January.
You can see in the pictures her nice width over her loin & the muscle development over the back leg & forearm. I don't have a before & after, but her withers are slim along either side of the bony prominence of the wither now. She used to be fatty with no bony definition on each side of the wither.
Since it was a spur of the moment idea - used my cell phone, so not very good quality photos.
Even tho' we rode it didn't work out to get pictures this weekend with my client.
I'll keep it in mind.032111-web BR.jpg
032111-web R.jpg
JacqueB

#71 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

:laughing1: Lookin' good!

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#72 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:58 AM

Thanks, Kate.
Working with Majiida I have managed to get her not too frustrated, to be pleasant to tack up & ride even when we start doing work in the riding ring and get her muscled/conditioned for work slow enough to prevent injury.
But now was the time to start doing stuff that I've never done. I've ridden a horse with elastic type contact/on the bit very few times. So today I went to my good Buddy's place & rode her 22 yo Chincoteague pony. She was on her horse that was horse of the year(2010) in the regional dressage association getting 70's I can't remember if it was training level or 1st level-think training (he's a Friesian-Saddlebred cross). She was all about my hands & length of rein. My tendency is too long of rein. I'd shorten the reins & she'd say shorten them 3 more inches...she also emphasized closing my hand. She got my hand farther toward the withers(she told me my hands were in my lap). That really set up the elbows moving like Charles de Knuffy describes. She got my hands really close to the horse so the horse was really aware of the reins at the side of his neck. Because I have core strength now due to previous back issues, I can really stretch down on the inside & bring my inside shoulder back & ride thru the corner correctly with my legs & seat & with new hand position, it was a piece of cake & consistent at the trot. Then she was telling me to take my inside pinky & point it at my opposite shoulder intermittent. Evidently I was clueless because she stopped me & rode over to me & said "like this". It was a squeezey/scoopy type of motion. So I started back at a trot & low and behold Taz was seeking the contact & the quality of the trot changed. I was able to do it both ways. She explained that some horses need the squeezing at every stride or every few strides or it can vary on the gait as well how much you need to squeeze.
So I'm excited about having some new things to try out with Majiida & Bowie.
Tomorrow is a riding day, but it will have to be early - 20 mph winds with T storms by 1 p.m.
Thursday calling for 20 mph winds, too, but maybe not all day & I can get some riding in.
I was watching Majiida walk out into the pasture after feeding & she's swinging her back end pretty nicely & think she's developed some flexibility in her loin.
JacqueB

#73 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

LOL I do the same thing with my hands. My old trainer and I worked hard to get my hands where they should be, and then I took about a 15 year hiatus from technical riding so going back to it I still struggle with that, but am improving.
Glad to hear you're progressing so well! I wish I had an advanced horse to ride. They are so helpful in learning new tricks. Oh well - looks like I'll just have to make one somehow :)

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#74 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

That's a good way to put it Kate - technical riding. Funny you should say that you still struggle with it because that was what Linda giggled & said as she was telling me what to do.
We tried it out today. Again I liked Majiida's work ethic. She didn't use shying as a way to get out of work, she kept trying to figure out what to do. She did regularly trot forward, something she's been spotty about doing. The trotting was forward & along the fence line & mostly straight or correct bend. She did the untrained speeding up but responded well to my half halts and I focused on being dependably there albeit I kept having to remind myself to bring my hands together & keep them gently closed. We did several times around the arena both ways at a trot plus a few circles both ways. There were a few times that she really had a big trot & her back came up & the head dropped some. I kept remembering that my hands always give(not the reins)and did work with the "squeezing" on the inside rein-that with using my guts for a half halt & closing my leg is when she got the big trot some times. So I'm pleased with both of our efforts on our new hand position protocol. I feel like we're in arena work mode now - there's hope.
JacqueB

#75 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

Couldn't get back to riding til today. Again, I'm so pleased with Majiida's work ethic in the riding ring. It was about 38 & cloudy no wind, tho, so good work day.
My Buddy really emphasized the straightness of the horse when doing leg yielding, so Majiida & I have been cheating & getting the front legs crossing but intermittently with the hind legs. So after riding up to the arena I got off & worked with close in hand work for leg yielding. I'm co-ordinated going to the right & she's pretty good, too. I'm not co-ordinated going to the left, so, of course, she isn't either or I think a more accurate portrayal is she figures out what she can do instead of answering the question that I'm not putting very precisely :) But despite by clumsiness, it made an impression. Also I've been working on getting Majiida to give correctly when going to the right. So while resting in the stall after feeding I'd go in put my hand on her nose & gently bring her head to the right & initially she'd keep that right jowl still kinda jutted out to the right despite having her nose around to the right which means she's not really flexing correctly at the pole. So I'd push pointedly with my finger & finely consistently got her to give with that jowl, giving the correct bend at the pole. So today with her bridle on & I was on the ground I pulled a bit with right rein-jowl staid stuck out to the right. Took my other finger & pushed on the jowl as I gave a little pull on the right rein. Quick as a wink she new what I wanted & consistently gave with jowl which carried over into the riding as well - hallelujah! I've been trying to fix that for a long time & figured she just didn't know what I was wanting. Wouldn't be surprised if she was chiropractically adjusted that they would find her atlas out of adjustment, but my pocketbook isn't going there right now.
We worked in the ring over an hour but we did lots of different things & I'd let her lolligag from time to time, so it was a good time. Worked on leg yielding, I'm much more demanding on that in the saddle & getting a few steps at a time. I really think the close in hand work is helpful. When that leg yielding work really shows up is she's more often than not getting the correct bend while at the trot. She also is getting quite regular at the walk and at the trot, not nearly the speeding up. Very easy to keep her using the whole arena. There was only a couple of times that I thought she was really working from behind at the trot-trot got big & slow & forward. So I need to stay tuned better to what I'm doing that gets that response-wasn't as focused today as would have been helpful.
Her trot to walk transition I really feel her come under herself to slow down - really nice. The walk to trot is still very under par. Need to get help to get the cavalettis out & be clear about patterns of riding that help & continue the lunging work. I'm stimulating her belly lift exercises without the cross ties so she can stretch her head down-which she does.
Probably need to still get her out trotting hills around the farm to keep the conditioning going & make the arena work easier for her to perform. gotta go
JacqueB

#76 ponygirl

ponygirl

SLC CAMELOT FARMS advanced member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts
  • Interests:My interest mainly focus on my children and horses. Single mom of three grown children. I discovered my first arabian in 92 and have been hooked since. I have spent my life with many breeds and Arabians are the best. Their beauty never ceases to take my breath away

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for the update!
SLC Camelot Farms
Sherry

#77 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:43 PM

It's not a happy update for me. I've been in therapy for my shoulder 4 months now & was 2 years ago also.
Nothing has changed except a bit more than 3 weeks ago I got a steroid shot right into the bugger & felt some relief & now that it's wearing off I seem to be very intolerant of what I have put up with for years.
So it's MRI time & based on the PT's assessment of the many areas of the shoulder that present issues probably headed for surgery - I'm might miss the EE & just go for surgery. So tacking up, cleaning out hooves, too numerous to mention tiny movements all day long are a spiraling source of to put it bluntly pain. So I've not been riding since the steroid shot has been wearing off & it's so disheartening to see all that conditioning start to fade away just when we were really getting somewhere, headed toward Intro A,B,C stardom. Majiida's going over to get bred on the 18th, Monday. And since my shoulder issues are exacerbated by use, it's not in my best interest to keep at it, just creates more intense problems where there are problems & expands the areas affected, totally in opposition to my favorite phrase, "Damn the torpedoes, Full Steam Ahead!" works for foxhunting, that's for sure, not bad for cross country jumping either....
So we did learn something about the conditioning of an out of shape horse, this one due to pregnancies.
And the slow route, mostly trail riding with hills for 1-2 & sometimes 3 hrs, mostly at a walk with some trotting did create safely some strength over the topline & muscling over the stifle/forearms/loin. We started in earnest Nov. had a 4 week hiatus due to weather in Dec. then usually on average a few times a week in Jan. & Feb. In March, about 3 months of conditioning I started mixing in more ring work & lateral work.
I think we could have done at least the Intro A & B test in May which would be after 6 mo of work.
So 4 months of conditioning on average 3-4 days a week. Then 2 months of more ring work mixed in concentrating on skills needed for the Intro dressage tests - that's very doable I think.
Right now I can be please that Majiida is in much better physical shape to carry a pregnancy, feeling good with plenty of strength/muscle tone for foaling.
JacqueB

#78 Windfall

Windfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:15 PM

Jacque, I'd been wondering why there'd been no updates lately, since we've had pretty good weather in VA. I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder. Sounds like you've tried everything. I hope you won't have to miss the Event. I always enjoy seeing you there.

Good luck with your shoulder and with Majiida's breeding next week,
Connie
Terry & Constance Arnett
Windfall Arabians
Henrico, VA
(804)795-1954

El Rhaqiis DSA 2001 SE Stallion (El Majiid x Rhalah by Ibn Shaikh)
Rapture DSA 1998 SE Mare (Fakim El Mareekh x Rhalah by Ibn Shaikh)
Dameera DSA 2000 SE Mare (Harakka x Delha by Dalul)

www.windfallarabians.org

#79 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:44 PM

So sorry you aren't feeling well.
Good luck with getting her in foal quickly and easily :bigemo_harabe_net-03:

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#80 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:10 PM

Thanks Connie & Kate,
I'll be breeding Melaka Majiida to The Elixir which I've been planning on doing for some time - in fact we tried last year, that's why she was open. Mark @ Amethyst Acres does his own ultrasound work now & he can treat the AI like frozen semen & I'm sure with that ability we'll get Majiida/a fertile myrtle bred. I had decided last September to sell Majiida, so I thought it would be great to have her as a undersaddle project & get a dressage test done & have her bred, thinking she'd be a great package for someone. I won't be sad if she doesn't sell, if she has a filly I'll make her part of my broodmare band & if has a colt, great, I'll geld him & finally have my se gelding for a riding horse and if the stars line up right, finally I might ride an SE Arab in a dressage test!
JacqueB

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users