#81 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:10 PM

When is the surgery?

Yes, I had missed your updates too. I am stymied by the wind here -- seems it blows terrible about 5 days out of 7 and then just when you want to go work, something else comes up that takes priority.

#82 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:pedigrees, sport horse, music, movies

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:44 PM

I see one orthopedic group, the 21st & the other orthopedic surgeon May 10, both post MRI to be done on Tuesday.
Every last Sunday in May since 1999 we've had a huge party to celebrate our son surviving a motorcycle accident, we call it the "Yeah, Josh, You're still here!" party.
So that show must go on.
Don't know what their surgical log/lag time is. But if they say they can do it the first few days in June, I'm going to be very tempted to skip the EE & get it done so I can get back to riding by August at least. It's possible if I still have Majiida that we could do a late fall dressage test, that'd be fun.
And Bowie has to finish his training, too. I'm likely to try to get him ready for a late fall dressage test.
Edited to add: PT today told me for what she thinks I'm going to have to have done, a 12 week recovery.....sheeesh
JacqueB

#83 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:42 PM

Last Sunday, April 10, my husband, who has never videoed before(the frame was all over the place) took videos of Majiida & I in our riding ring. I had not ridden her in almost 2 weeks, family had been in town for a week & family events occurring once in a life time had preoccupied my time.
Majiida was not freely forward & not doing nearly as well as where we had left off. I'll see if I can navigate the software & see if there are some fragments that will be useful.
Maybe I'll get someone to help me tack her up/untack & can ride her tomorrow, riding itself rarely challenges my shoulder. Hate to lose the conditioning on her. At least when I get back she won't be as out of shape as after doing nothing & having 3 foals. After the PT's comment about 12 weeks to get close to my normal work load, I'd like to try riding as much as I can now & get it fixed pronto after May 29th- a 3 day party with campers, so umpteen meals...I'll be ready for a break by then...
JacqueB

#84 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

Got the word yesterday - good part, no rotator cuff problems, bad news, got so much arthritis that I'm looking at a shoulder replacement in the future. For now, a better placed steroid shot based on the MRI info-so far better, can lift my arm up to shoulder level with just a little discomfort, if done slowly.
Clean up day surgery may or may not be helpful. I told him how I could force my other joints to do stuff & they kept working- he says yeah, the shoulder doesn't have cartilaginous surfaces so much, just spurs, (big ones in my case)therefore, Legends & Adequan doesn't help like it does with the knees, etc. So just trying to keep working it doesn't make it work, only inflames it- which was my experience.
Maybe today I'll try to delve into the video software & see what I can do. got some other things on my agenda first.
But I think it's promising for getting back riding with this steroid shot & even if I got only 50% more movement without pain doing day surgery that may be worth it.
Think I'll just leave Majiida alone & get bred & since my client is out fighting forest fires in Texas, I'll ride her 4 yr Majiida daughter, Sara. She's a cutie & has limited under saddle time & needs some riding-she's about 14.1 & chestnut- my favorite color, also a Granddaughter of Waheeb, PAS's revered stallion from Zee Ranch.
JacqueB

#85 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

Glad to hear the prognosis is OK, sad the medications won't work. I broke my elbow when I was 13 and now have bone spurs, so know how they feel. An operation should help with mobility and the more you move it post-op the fewer spurs should come back.
At least you have another to ride! Bubba blew a huge abcess, was out for about a week, and was missing the work in the saddle.
Good luck and I hope you get to feeling better.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#86 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

2nd opinion, by M.D. recommended by 3 pt.s who are M.D.s/nurses - bone spur slowly shearing off rotator cuff. Surgery Wed-June 8 a-c resection/decompression (code words for taking off the end of my clavicle & cleaning up arthritic bony messes) + rotator cuff repair. Wrist at my belly button for 6 wks- @ 12 weeks I can lift 5 lbs. Should be good to ride in the fall, yeah!
JacqueB

#87 WindCzar

WindCzar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, Horses, Family History

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

2nd opinion, by M.D. recommended by 3 pt.s who are M.D.s/nurses - bone spur slowly shearing off rotator cuff. Surgery Wed-June 8 a-c resection/decompression (code words for taking off the end of my clavicle & cleaning up arthritic bony messes) + rotator cuff repair. Wrist at my belly button for 6 wks- @ 12 weeks I can lift 5 lbs. Should be good to ride in the fall, yeah!

Wow, Jacque, I just now saw this. I'm so sorry you're having these problems. I hope everything goes a lot better than expected!
Julie
Facebook: WindCzar Arabians
Click Here to Email Me

Willing to sale any of our horses
Stallion: Galaxy I Kuhaylan Ajuz in Strain (RA Jahim [Nabiel x Masarra] x Etnasha [*Sultann x Yathreb])Tail-female Nazeera
Mares:
NightWind Serenade wz Pure in Strain Kuhaylan Ajuz (Galaxy I [See Above] x Antaras BintRabha [*Sultann x *Lancers Rabha (x Kayed)])
LL Mystique (Sultann El Saud [*Sultann x *Lancers Nora (x Kayed)] x Chal-Petra [Ferseyn, Gazi, & 3 crosses to *Mirage])

#88 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

Hello Everyone!
Dear Majiida has been purchased by Allison Mehta of Talaria Farms & Liezl Els of Agmal Arabians. She is due to foal in August & we're anxiously awaiting a The Elixir foal. Majiida's Thee Infidel dtr, Hallie, foaled early this year & has been put under saddle & doing great. I'm going to ride her in tomorrow morning for the first time. But we are finding that having foaled out this year still delays belly strength despite her youth. So it will be interesting to see what she does when introducing her to leg yielding, using the bit for gentle gum massaging/playing to drop the head & transitions to strengthen her over her topline/belly. It's amazing the amount of muscling that has popped up in just 6 weeks of walk/trot & trail work. I've been taking some dressage lessons almost monthly since January & have picked up some new skills & kept up my core exercises & my shoulder is trying to be normal. So I'm hoping to be good for her.
So hopefully Hallie will start getting some core strength herself & maybe she & I can get an Intro dressage test done in the fall. I'll keep you posted.
  • diane and VanAlma like this
JacqueB

#89 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

Oh, dear. I've got alot of work to do! Poor dear, Hallie, was very good with me, but is used to someone with life long core strength & leg. Riding my N.Fjord does not prepare me for riding a horse that has all that Arab spring in her trot. So Hallie was trying to stay underneath me & figure out where that was since I didn't hit the saddle in the same place or be consistent in my posting. My 2-3 days a week of core & leg strengthening has got to change to 5 days a week. I'm going to be taking lessons weekly with Hallie & hopefully I can get stronger to help her with developing consistency. I'll keep you posted.
  • sheikh rissan, diane and VanAlma like this
JacqueB

#90 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

It's good to see you back, Jacque.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#91 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

Thanks Kate, couldn't get a password to work for about 9 mo & I was busy. Bowie & I did a fix a test with the new intro tests in April & made in the 60's which was unexpected for me, didn't think I would do that well. I rode Bowie, Friday, Saturday, & Sunday & since everthing was sore I took off Monday so I would be rested for my riding lesson with Hallie - worked. We had a great lesson, I was much more consistent in my posting & she was even interested in rounding up, reaching down, playing with her bit, relaxed, consistent. I'm working toward riding Bowie 5 days a week & need to get back to lessons with him, we've got to work on our canter depart for the training level test in the fall & I just need to strengthen my legs for Hallie's big trot. We'll be taking Hallie to a local hunter show July 21st if everything continues to go well. We need to take Hallie on another big trail ride/hunter pace - she aced her last one, but sometimes you find out what their real opinion is on the 2nd & 3rd ride with all the horses/steep terrain with pools of water/creeks/rocky/slippy footing. Progress!
JacqueB

#92 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

I've decided that "Training & Reconditioning" applies to me more than the horse!!! I'm riding Bowie every morning early & I'm having to have these constant conversations with myself. Steer first, so going into the corner " keep that outside rein constant or even intermittant pulls with Bowie to get his attention/response, don't let his shoulder bulge out so keep the rein lower, but the inside hip has got to be down, if needed use the inside leg to move Bowie into the outside rein, keep that inside rein active/squeezes or at least don't pull on it, is the inside shoulder back, is my pelvis rolled up, shoulders down, don't lean back hold him at your solar plexus, is your lower back released to let him go? remember when he's doing good lower legs laying lightly/neutrally against Bowie's body, keep those inside thighs stretched/relaxed, don't squeeze them unless you are half halting, maybe use my eyes to look where I'm going & relax into the horse, open up your chest, Jacque, let him go.....and on and on- this riding stuff takes so much concentration & coordination...don't forget to reward Bowie when he does it right - that part I thnk I'm getting better at - he's getting finished in a good mood with plenty of foam in his mouth. Let's hope I can be good so it will be easy for Hallie to figure out what I'm asking.
  • VanAlma likes this
JacqueB

#93 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Well, my training has fallen off sharply- between the darecho, no power for 7 days in a heatwave, my general intolerance for heat-I've not been riding but Hallie has continued to be in training with Caryn Switzer, a hunter rider. Caryn rides Hallie (remember Melaka Majiida's Thee Infidel 4 yo dtr), 3 days a week thru the woods with other clients, some areas have trails. Caryn was telling me that one day after the darecho with all the fallen debris, Hallie just stopped & Caryn saw her legs were trapped. Caryn says she doesn't usually get off a green horse because she never knows what they are going to do, but she has learned to really trust Hallie, so she got off & Hallie kept still while she got all the stuff untangled around her legs, Caryn was really impressed. Since Hallie had a foal in Feb, & quite out of shape, we've kept her doing only walk and trot to slowly get some conditioning on her. But once recently Caryn couldn't stand it & cantered her and she got the correct lead both directions the first time and was very slow & relaxed. 2 days a week she does ring work, accepting contact, regularity of rate/rhythmn, we use a fat loose ring snaffle. So yesterday, she's in her 3rd month under saddle, we took her to a local fun show at Greenhill Horse Park, Rise up & Ride, in Salem, VA. Hallie had stood quietly on the trailer for hours, got off the trailer & quietly grazed while we groomed her. Then quietly walked around checking out the jumps with flowers, the judges stand and took it all in stride. Didn't have a problem with other horses in the ring. Caryn entered her in 4 consecutive classes, W-T, W-T-C, Go-as-you-please & finally an older adult W-T-C. It was the second day Caryn had cantered Hallie. And Hallie's bridle had been left behind, so she rode in a thinner, full cheek bit which Hallie didn't appreciate & had to adapt to. And Caryn said after each class Hallie was getting better which we could see, too. By the 4th class with 3 horse/rider pairs- the other 2 were seasoned riders/horses, Caryn really had Hallie accepting contact better & her downward transitions were excellent - so Caryn/Hallie placed 1st, totally unexpected, I just wanted her to acclaimate to the show atmosphere and reduce her heebeegeebees, but she didn't exhibit any heebeegeebees, pretty, calm, cool & collected.
Hallie-2012-7-21-42sm.jpg
Think I need to buck up with the heat & get back riding.
JacqueB

#94 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

August 11th Bedford Hunt Club is having a Hunter Pace. Hallie will be going with Caryn & other of her clients. I think I'm going, too, but I'll be riding Bowie - he took so much pulling to get his attention & behave, that it set me back with my rehab on my shoulder by flaring up my bicep tendonitis. So we'll see how Hallie does with people trotting and cantering up behind her & running off past her. It's also going to be a different location than her last big trail ride. August 31st we'll take her to the local Class "A" Arabian show at the Virginia Horse Center. Caryn will ride her in the SHUS hunter type Novice & junior horse & there is a hunter pleasure junior horse class. The junior horse championship SHUS hunter type is Saturday morning, Sept. 1st, if she qualifies. I'm hoping that these classes will be held in the indoor arena & that there will be plenty of horses in the arena for her to deal with. The SHIH classes are run concurrently, so we can't enter her in those classes, but Caryn's consistent 5 days a week riding, has really put some muscling & conditioning and that will pick up now that she's including cantering and we're entering her 4th month of undersaddle work. I'll keep you posted & try to get some pictures. Caryn's client are becoming fans of Hallie - that's a really good sign since they are hunt seat riders of whatever works types of horses.
  • VanAlma likes this
JacqueB

#95 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

So glad to hear she's doing well. She looks lovely. Thee Infidel really seems to put nice Hunter/Jumpers on the ground. I have liked quite a few that I have seen advertised. Good luck on the paces! There is a farm about 2 hours north of here that does them regulalry but I shied away from them on Bubba as he was a very insecure/reactive horse. Now that he's been shown and run up on, I think we might be ready.
I wish you guys the best of luck and that nothing off the mark happens :) Best wishes your shoulder gets better.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#96 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:01 AM

So glad to hear she's doing well. She looks lovely.
Thanks Kate
Thee Infidel really seems to put nice Hunter/Jumpers on the ground. I have liked quite a few that I have seen advertised.
Her temperament reminds me of WRA Summers Kiss, another Thee Infidel dtr. I remember how sweet that mare was when she was shown in hand by a little girl at the EE & the mare was so sweet and tended to the young human as if she was her foal. And she was always well mannered & happy when ridden under saddle, of course, she was ridden so beautifully. From my small sample of Thee Infidel get, I think he throws a pretty forward, almost in your face kind of personality. Hallie's Arabic registered name, Halawat Elthika means the sweetness of confidence which she exhibited from the very start and I think that forward or confident personality may be good for the hunter/jumpers. Hallie's Thee Infidel twist is more on the side of confidence rather than the in your face or forward influence and she's a much more confident horse than her dam. He tends to throw good bone + size & I think he was an English Pleasure champion, so good reach out of his shoulder. All things hunter/jumpers look for, brave/forward to the fences, good bone & good reach with the shoulder.
Good luck on the paces! There is a farm about 2 hours north of here that does them regulalry but I shied away from them on Bubba as he was a very insecure/reactive horse. Now that he's been shown and run up on, I think we might be ready.
From what I've observed, hunter paces are the most challenging event to take a new horse. All the horses get so excited having so many of them out in the field together, then those pairs that come flying up behind & leave you in the dust while you on the green horse are finding out how much your horse is willing to obey you even tho' s/he wants to take off & keep with "those" guys up ahead. And there's always some challenging terrain, like deep or wide creeks and/or wood bridges with no side, etc. The good part is the trails are well cleared & marked & you usually don't discover a yellow jacket/hornets nest in the ground.
I wish you guys the best of luck and that nothing off the mark happens :)
Thanks
Best wishes your shoulder gets better.
Yeah, thanks, the challenge is getting stonger without causing that inflamed bicep tendon to get p o 'ed. Bowie is one laid back, lazy fellow at home & at dressage shows, but I've not taken him regularly on enough trail rides with lots of horses so that he'll adapt - he's so pumped & thinks he needs to be the leader & pays no attention to the bit in his mouth, so it's lots of leg yielding, circles-just wears you out. He'll be the only horse doing half the ride going sideways, first right, then left, then right.....the last trail ride Caryn was behind me & Bowie & she said I would have had a much easier ride on Hallie....oh, well.

JacqueB

#97 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

Well I looked closely at the requirements of the classes at the class A Arabian show - SHUS, there are descriptions of regular, collected & extended for each gait and it's stated that the judge can call for any or all three in all three gaits plus hand gallop. I'm watching Hallie this morning being worked by Caryn, she's just entering her 4th month undersaddle and she's still not stable in the bridle which is appropriate, I'm asking Caryn is she doing more ring work or still doing 2 days ring work & 3 days trail work- yes- Caryn's thinking about that August 31st deadline & working toward it. I'm thinking about how Hallie had a foal in Feb, has had very little time undersaddle for conditioning & how she doesn't have great withers (less length on her vertebral pieces for muscle attachment=less natural muscular strength over the top line). Since I don't want her to pulled into a frame so she "looks good" and am fundamentally interested in developing strength over her top line so she can develop self carriage and can be in a frame from a position of appropriate muscle strength, I'm going to not rush her to show at that level and keep taking her to little local hunter shows & hopefully as the fall approaches there will be one held in an indoor arena. We've got 2 more hunter paces at least for her.to attend. I'm going to start getting lessons on Hallie every Thursday morning - that's something to look forward to. Caryn thinks her canter is particularly swell, brags on it - her very best gait. I'm beginning to think that competitive trail riding may be something Hallie would enjoy.
JacqueB

#98 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

I don't have time to look at the rules right now, but are you sure that's for SHUS or SHUS Show Hack? The SHUS I've seen and showed in do not call for anything but the regular gaits - maybe a hand gallop. The show hack calls for the more advanced moves. Now you've got me thinking.
Glad to hear she's going well. Her frame will come with time :) Pics are always welcome (hint hint)

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#99 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:05 AM

Another successful outing for Hallie under the tuteledge of Caryn Switzer. Bedford Country Hunter Pace 8-11-2012 Just getting in from a 2-1/2 hr Hunter Pace w-t-c, thru many water crossings & one small log jump. Almost 4 months under saddle Hallie continues to demonstrate relaxed, good minded behavior in new places & new situations.
Hallie 2012-8-11 Bedford Hunter Pace 80.jpg Hallie 2012-8-11 Bedford Hunter Pace 81.jpg
Caryn reported Hallie was really good - no reaction to horse/rider pairs coming up behind & leaving. Still not relaxed standing in water, but readily going thru all the water crossings.
Hallie & Caryn heading back to the trailer.
Hallie 2012-8-11 Bedford Hunter Pace 84.jpg

After her ventolin/water bath, just chillin' - noticed just after this photo that Hallie is showing heat - Yeah a good girl in a new place while in heat!
Hallie 2012-8-11 Bedford Hunter Pace 86.jpg
My third ride is Thursday - I'll be having weekly lessons.
The 25th Hallie goes to another local hunter show. We're evaluating different bits & see if we can identify a bit that works better for her accepting contact. You'll notice she's got a d-ring bit, which she doesn't need the "D" part, but it has copper rollers on a snaffle & Caryn is not sure if she likes it better, the ring work will be more telling next week. Any thoughts?
  • VanAlma likes this
JacqueB

#100 jmarcan

jmarcan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:39 AM

Another successful outing for Hallie under the tuteledge of Caryn Switzer. Bedford Country Hunter Pace 8-11-2012 Just getting in from a 2-1/2 hr Hunter Pace w-t-c, thru many water crossings & one small log jump. Almost 4 months under saddle Hallie continues to demonstrate relaxed, good minded behavior in new places & new situations.
Hallie 2012-8-11 Bedford Hunter Pace 80.jpg Hallie 2012-8-11 Bedford Hunter Pace 81.jpg
Caryn reported Hallie was really good - no reaction to horse/rider pairs coming up behind & leaving. Still not relaxed standing in water, but readily going thru all the water crossings.
Hallie & Caryn heading back to the trailer.
Hallie 2012-8-11 Bedford Hunter Pace 84.jpg

After her ventolin/water bath, just chillin' - noticed just after this photo that Hallie is showing heat - Yeah a good girl in a new place while in heat!
Hallie 2012-8-11 Bedford Hunter Pace 86.jpg
My third ride is Thursday - I'll be having weekly lessons.
The 25th Hallie goes to another local hunter show. We're evaluating different bits & see if we can identify a bit that works better for her accepting contact. You'll notice she's got a d-ring bit, which she doesn't need the "D" part, but it has copper rollers on a snaffle & Caryn is not sure if she likes it better, the ring work will be more telling next week. Any thoughts?

So great to see photos of another Egyptian arab enjoying the hunter paces...the 5 year old SE gelding I sold to my trainer last winter attended the Ottawa Valley Hunt pace in early July and they had a blast! FEI young horse dressage classes one weekend and cross country the next...hoping to event him next summer as the farm of a former Canadian Olympic Three Day Event coach is just up the road. I do wish we would see more Egyptians in open competition.

Have you tried a Sprenger French link snaffle? Sometimes horses like the Aurigan metal better than stainless...and some horses prefer the French link snaffle to a single jointed bit. Just depends on the horse's preference...but make sure you are keeping on top of the dentistry to ensure the horse's mouth is comfortable. Sharp points or hooks on the teeth can cause problems with any bit. Amazing what a difference regular professional floating can make...can testify to the difference...
  • desertrat likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users