#101 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:pedigrees, sport horse, music, movies

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:26 AM

So great to see photos of another Egyptian arab enjoying the hunter paces...the 5 year old SE gelding I sold to my trainer last winter attended the Ottawa Valley Hunt pace in early July and they had a blast! FEI young horse dressage classes one weekend and cross country the next...hoping to event him next summer as the farm of a former Canadian Olympic Three Day Event coach is just up the road. I do wish we would see more Egyptians in open competition.
Totally agree, go out & compete against horses, any horses. If you're so special, show it in open competition.

Have you tried a Sprenger French link snaffle? Sometimes horses like the Aurigan metal better than stainless...and some horses prefer the French link snaffle to a single jointed bit. Just depends on the horse's preference...but make sure you are keeping on top of the dentistry to ensure the horse's mouth is comfortable. Sharp points or hooks on the teeth can cause problems with any bit. Amazing what a difference regular professional floating can make...can testify to the difference...

Did the dental work prior to putting under saddle/April? Funny that you mention Sprenger french link - was just looking at those. Chronical of the Horse on the forums they are talking about liking the HS Dynamic RS. Since she's doing so well in general & staying sound, I think I might make the investment.trying the 16 mm loose ring. Any more thoughts?
JacqueB

#102 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

Today, I ignored my aching body, took 2 ibuprofen and said to myself, "many times riding will loosen me up & make me feel better - I need to ride". Have not ridden since weeks ago when I last rode Hallie - I was like a beginner, no weight in the hips- tending to push on the stirrups & shift my tension & weight to my shoulders. So we did lots of walking & finally I was "sitting into the horse" and we did trotting and generally my riding on Hallie was much better than the last ride. She's really different to ride, much more stable. Her resistance to contact is not in her lower neck anymore, much more willing to stretch over the topline. I'm sorry I didn't get a short video with my iphone of Caryn riding her - I didn't have it on me while I was riding. I'll give it to Caryn when I'm riding next time, then we'll have it in the ring. I ordered today the herm sprenger dynamic RS 14 mm loose ring after talking to my dressage trainer. Maybe it will make a difference for her, maybe not, but it won't hurt. Caryn said the stretching over the top & change in resistance happened during the hunter pace, she was naturally more forward, so using her backend but still forward/reaching cross country over the cleared paths. She has great downward transitions. Responding well to leg with correct bend. Try to get some pictures for you next time - she's lightened up so much this summer - really looking grey these days.
JacqueB

#103 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:54 PM

Well I've got a minute to update you. I did ride Hallie on Thursday, did not start off like a beginner rider for some reason this time- had my weight in my hips & shoulders down & relaxed & we trail rode. Caryn was behind me & one time Hallie on my request started trotting, but then she was kind of taking off & then began cantering & I final made my point that we weren't going to do that right now. Caryn said I had soft hand & I need to be clearer in with my hands, She didn't scare me, but the footing wasn't really good for cantering - quite rocky & uneven. It was our first time using the dynamic RS herm sprenger 14 mm. Toward the end of the ride she was fussing with the bit. Caryn has a way of making her stop that which I was not successful instituting.
Friday, the 24th was Caryn's first time using the dynamic RS herm sprenger french link bit & she didn't get any softness with it & didn't think it was working for Hallie when she was riding her at the new farm, Stone Bridge in Natural Bridge, VA where the horse show was going to be the next day - much more horses & an indoor arena. What Caryn did on Friday was let her ride around in the arena totally on a loose rein & check the place out then she started asking for contact & worked her in all 3 gaits. I shot some video from my Iphone that I uploaded to Youtube & you can see why Caryn wasn't happy with the new bit for Hallie.
On Saturday, I missed her 2 classes - too much farm work to get done. Caryn reported that her mind was blown at the beginning of the first class, almost reared 2 times, was the hardest to handle of any time she's ever ridden her. She said that many of the horses in the class were running away with their riders and bucking (I think there were 7-9 riding pairs). So it must have been quite a scene in that relatively small indoor arena. By the second class she was listening and Caryn said she did the best under saddle work she's ever done, even at her farm and garnered a 3rd place out of 4 horses. So I was thrilled. She'll be going back to that farm & entering similar classes on Sept. 15. Understand these are hunter/jumper classes that are open, everything shows up.. They are sanctioned by the SWVAHJA but they are not class A. Caryn was amazed that she came from mind blown to the best under saddle work she's ever done in just 2 consecutive classes. If Caryn is impressed, that's good on Hallie's behalf, but much credit has to go to Caryn, too, I'm thinking.
Here are the YouTube links.

gotta run
JacqueB

#104 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:54 PM

here are the other 2 links, btw on Saturday Caryn used the toklat/myler bit with a roller, eggbutt style.

JacqueB

#105 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Pretty girl and she has a nice canter. Glad she's doing so well for you :)
Just a side note, I've never had Bubba do better than on a Myler. Currently, he needs his teeth done so he's begun to chomp a bit and is dull on one side, but with good care (I'm late with it) he does very well. It's a great bit for Arabians, I think, and I know more than 1 person who has had success with them.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#106 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Thanks Kate. Caryn had someone else at her barn ride Hallie so she could see Hallie's canter, she really thinks it's a good one - the other rider did, too. I'm not sure what to look for in a canter, but it looks good to me and it's easy to ride. I was thinking that I'm going to try to make some time & go over one morning & lunge Hallie with real long side reins at the elbow & tie a polo wrap just under her butt at the girth strap & use the loose ring sprenger french link & see what happens. Patience doesn't get on a horse unless it's developed some strength in the loin & stretched over the top using the long side reins at the elbow while lunging. Hallie's really developing some muscling at the gaskin, but I haven' seen alot over the stifle yet.
Here's a still I took on Friday of Hallie & Caryn.
2012 8-24 Hallie Stone Bridge w166.jpg
The only problem with the myler is the roller is illegal for recognized dressage show. That's why I'm going to try to work during my riding with the french link sprenger.
JacqueB

#107 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

The gaskin and stifle will come with time, but don't compare her to any other breed. This is an area where Arabians "lack" in comparison - although to their defense - they didn't need that kind of muscling to do what they were originally intended for so were not bred with it in mind. As long as they aren't weak I'm OK. Jumping and hills help as well if you do any cross-training.
At the canter you look at the timing of the rear feet. They have to have distinctly different landing times and reach way under with the leading foot. Relaxation through the back and neck are also indicators that a good canter has been brought along properly.
Training and conditioning a canter that is not naturally good is very difficult to do. She's got it. My Thee Infidel son had an excellent canter as well - very similar to her in motion.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#108 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:59 AM

Oh, thanks Kate for that description of what to look for in evaluating the canter. I've been to many warmblood inspections which evaluate the canter, but I've never stuck around to talk to the judges & ask them about what they are specifically looking for at the canter.
JacqueB

#109 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:57 AM

Finally got a video of me riding Hallie. We were using the Herm Sprenger 14mm french link dynamic bit. Caryn lunged her first. We used Patience Carr's approach - side reins at the elbow & long. She wasn't very happy about it & used the hound howling in the pasture to be disobedient. Then we changed directions & she did much better. Then we went back to the initial direction & shortened the inside side rein by one hole & she was amazingly much more consistent & gave at the poll. All I've got on video is the initial being a disobedient horse. I haven't ridden but 2 times since the end of June so my legs weren't very strong but my core is good with the exercising I've been doing recently. We've got a long way to go, but we keep making progress in a good direction. It's got me thinking about next Sept. when Sport Horse Nationals are 40 minutes away. If she'd qualify, it would be fun to enter.
Here are the youtube links
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh1IjAPm8as
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BbU_allGIA&feature=channel&list=UL
Caryn is taking her to the local open hunter show again this Saturday at Stone Bridge Farm http://www.stonebrid...ows_clinics.php
Hopefully I can get there in time to see her this time. Caryn & I both think she needs alot more hill work, walking & trotting because she's still tight across her loin/bracing, there's no swinging in the hips yet. I'm considering getting her worked on by my equine PT, see if she uncovers any tender spots.
JacqueB

#110 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

Ah, an update. Called Caryn Switzer today to see how riding Hallie went today. She said she wanted to get ready for the show, so didn't lunge. Yesterday I didn't mention that Caryn says she gets stretch over the topline & reaching at the walk & the canter but no consistency at the trot. Well, today Caryn said for the first time ever she got consistency of stretching over the topline, entirely different response than before the lunge lesson yesterday. So we'll see what happens tomorrow with all the all the hubbub of the show. She plans on lunging her next week. Caryn & I were surprised by how quickly she caught on to what we're looking for in the short little lunging time yesterday.
JacqueB

#111 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

Sept 15th, Saturday, Caryn Switzer rode Hallie at the Stone Bridge Farm SWVAHJA recognized show in Natural Bridge, VA in the Hopeful Hunter and schooling hunter class. I've got a youtube link for some of the Hopeful Hunter class that had 9 riding pairs. You can see that Hallie is relaxed but still quite unstable in the bridle & minimal relaxation & stretch over the top line. She placed 3rd in the class. Even an intro dressage test is much more demanding of the horse than these classes for her to place 3rd. But we were happy that she is more stable in the bridle and totally relaxed. But I have to keep reminding myself that she's only ~5 months under saddle & had a foal ~7 mo ago. The other aspect of Hallie to be happy about is how fast she acclimates to new situations and tries hard within her own understanding.

Here's everyone lining up for their awards & some other miscellaneous pictures.Hallie 2012-9-15 w43.jpg Hallie 2012-9-15 Stone Bridge Show w.jpg
Hallie 2012-9-15 w19.jpg
The schooling hunter class had 4 riding pairs and the other 3 horses were very well schooled, so Hallie was appropriately an easy last place.

I'm happy to report that even at 61 I can still roll & tumble - I came back from this show early afternoon having started my day @ 6 am & having not enough to eat I take off riding Bowie with my client & Bowie got mad at me & bucked & bolted in the riding ring which I usually ride out, but my hungry tired self didn't pull it off yesterday so I went flying off at a gallop as he rounded the corner. Little sore on my right hip but doing quite well feeling like a missed a bullet & will not ride again hungry & tired, always got to be at the top of your game when you get on a horse.
JacqueB

#112 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

We're finished showing for this year. Hallie was very well behaved with indoor arenas & plenty of horses in the arena with her & was totally relaxed at the hunter pace. So now it's working on the details of under saddle work. Still trail riding 3 days a week usually with one or more other horses. Learning to be obedient & quiet despite being confident & conditioned. Hallie has consistently looked & pulled her back to the side away from you when you go to put the saddle on - that is until a week ago. Every time Hallie is lunged with the long sidereins at the elbow she increases her time stretching over her topline. We're speculating that stretching over the topline is decreasing some soreness that was over the back & now putting the saddle on doesn't mean imminent discomfort. I've been able to go over a week ago Thursday & yesterday (Thursday) to see her ring work. Working on picking up that back & correct bend trying to get to flexibility in the loin. When I video I can't see what's really happening, so I'll video maybe next time. But I am seeing the back being picked up & she's sweating at the finish on her underbelly. Also seeing those back legs swinging forward with the back being picked up and some very minimal loosing in the loin (the beginnings of flexibility) which is better than the board stiffness over the loin I have been seeing. I think I'm going to look up in my equine PT/massage book exercises/stretch for over the back - I remember the carrot stretch between the front legs are good & circling & weighing on the dock. Will work on leg yielding at the walk along the fence lines. The best part is that every week Hallie progresses & looks different.
  • VanAlma likes this
JacqueB

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users