4 replies to this topic

#1 sdlarabians

sdlarabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

When a horse is described as flat kneed, what does that mean? What does this action look like?

Thanks!
Alison

Shear D-Lite Arabians
Breedres of PERFORMANCE Straight Egyptians
http://sheardlitearabians.com/

Standing at stud: El Rashiid MA (El Majiid x Maar-Riana [*El Mareekh])

"El Rashiid MA is bred generations deep to sire beautiful athletes" ~ Arlene Magid

#2 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:pedigrees, sport horse, music, movies

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

I'm going to take a stab at this. When I was considering getting into hunter ponies, I talked to a long time pony/hunter trainer & he said that the horses that win in the hunter ring have very flat kneed movement - the front leg moves from the shoulder straight out, no bend at the knee, he also referred to it as "daisy cutter" movement because the hooves stay just above the ground to "clip" daisies. So not alot of suspension necessarily like a dressage horse & no break at the knee action like a saddlebred/morgan or park/country pleasure type horse.
Flat kneed movement is the desired movement for the general hunter community, don't know about Arab hunters but would be very disappointing to the park/english pleasure community.
JacqueB

#3 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:15 PM

Flat kneed movement is the desired movement for the general hunter community, don't know about Arab hunters but would be very disappointing to the park/english pleasure community.

The current trend is growing long toes and weighting hunters for action. The Arab community as a whole does not know what a hunter really looks like.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#4 ponygirl

ponygirl

SLC CAMELOT FARMS advanced member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts
  • Interests:My interest mainly focus on my children and horses. Single mom of three grown children. I discovered my first arabian in 92 and have been hooked since. I have spent my life with many breeds and Arabians are the best. Their beauty never ceases to take my breath away

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:22 PM

I think they are refering to a horse that strides out and is very forward moving. Look at the long, forward strides of a dressage horse in an extended trot.
SLC Camelot Farms
Sherry

#5 sdlarabians

sdlarabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. This helps a lot.
Alison

Shear D-Lite Arabians
Breedres of PERFORMANCE Straight Egyptians
http://sheardlitearabians.com/

Standing at stud: El Rashiid MA (El Majiid x Maar-Riana [*El Mareekh])

"El Rashiid MA is bred generations deep to sire beautiful athletes" ~ Arlene Magid

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users