5 replies to this topic

#1 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:41 AM

After giving Tammy a week to get settled in, took her out today to see what she knew about lounging, and just in general. She understands Whoa perfectly. She is soo sweet it is not hard to praise her and love her, running my hands over her while she stands perfectly still.

We lounged for only a few minutes -- started at a walk -- she understood perfectly to go out but did not have a steady rhythm -- going slower, then my encouragement while she picked up the walk, when she moved more steadily I asked for the trot -- she does not know the trot, trot said quickly but since she is so willing to please with the slight aid of the lounge whip she went into a trot. I was again working not for a fast trot, just a steady rhythm. Once we had that I brought her down to a walk and then halted. Walked up to her, petted, praised, and turned her the other way.

The right direction, clockwise, is not her best side. Worked on keeping her head just slightly turned to the inside, and again rhythm. Into the trot where she was a bit worried. But she had it down now when I started to praise her using my voice to s l oo www Waaaallkk. She did at first break in the trot but soon settled. Going to need to work on that side.

Probably only about 5 to 10 minutes. Hopefully the wind will not be up tomorrow anymore than today so I can continue.

#2 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:pedigrees, sport horse, music, movies

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:34 AM

How old is this horse?
The 2 horses that I'm bringing along are both weaker going clockwise. When I was looking at YouTube videos on in hand stuff recently, one of the comments made during a video was that most horses are weak going clock wise, just like most humans are right handed.
JacqueB

#3 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

She won't be four until mid May. Her mane falls totally on one side except at the base of the withers where it flips to the other side.

#4 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:35 PM

I've always had horses struggle clockwise when they start working and Bubba did, too, but now that he's balancing better he actually trots through better that way so you never know. Good luck with her! You're lucky if she's already started but I'd do some desensitizing and testing her out to see how broke she really is. Just take it all slow and calm and she'll come along nicely :)

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#5 Windfall

Windfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

Maybe a silly questions, but do you change your own body language when the horse goes clockwise? Switch the whip to the other hand, etc? I know I'm not as comfortable myself when the horse is going clockwise! Also, this may be common knowledge as I haven't always followed the training threads, but a trainer told me in order to keep a horse moving forward when longeing or round pen work, focus your eyes behind the withers or on the hip. When you want the horse to stop, focus your eyes on the horse's head. It works for us. Y'all probably already know this, but just thought I'd mention it.

Connie
Terry & Constance Arnett
Windfall Arabians
Henrico, VA
(804)795-1954

El Rhaqiis DSA 2001 SE Stallion (El Majiid x Rhalah by Ibn Shaikh)
Rapture DSA 1998 SE Mare (Fakim El Mareekh x Rhalah by Ibn Shaikh)
Dameera DSA 2000 SE Mare (Harakka x Delha by Dalul)

www.windfallarabians.org

#6 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:pedigrees, sport horse, music, movies

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

At my age Connie, I never am offended by reminders, I'm usually in need of them.
American Breeder, funny you should mention the way the mane lays because I have heard that which way the mane lays suggests which is the strong side - most manes lay on the right of the horse's neck, that's more typically the weaker way of going. So a horse whose mane lays entirely on the left side might be weak going counterclock wise. So those manes that go half one way & half the other - are they ambidextrous?!
  • karin likes this
JacqueB

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users