• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Interests:straight egyptian arabian horse breeder since 1967.
    researcher, author of 24 book puplications on arabian horses, the straight egyptian index and others,
    quarantine staton and manager okayed by florida depeartment of agriculture.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

Dear Friends

Volume two of this master piece by Philippe Paraskevas should be a MUST for any sincere breeder/owner of straight Egyptians to have. It is most explicit and well written.

I salute the authour for his courage to come straight forward and disclose. Only very few people of past and present had such courage, Lady Ann Blunt did and the very few alike.

Knowing data, dealing with disclosures in a fair manner will only help preserving what we all love, the straight egyptian horses ALL OF THEM!!

All take care
Hansi
  • talus likes this
Hansi-Heck Melnyk
Serenity Arabian farms, Florida, USA

Posted Image

#2 Morabene

Morabene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

Where do you buy Vol 2? I have not seen it for sale yet.
Martha White
www.classicbloodstock.com

#3 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
    researcher, author of 24 book puplications on arabian horses, the straight egyptian index and others,

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

Where do you buy Vol 2? I have not seen it for sale yet.

Dont know Martha. Has the ISBN No. 978-977-5230-003 (E-bay??)
Dar el Kutub NO. 2011/21015
Published by Obvelisque Publictions, Cairo, Egypt.

take care

Hansi
Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#4 Nadj Al Nur

Nadj Al Nur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts
  • Interests:Horses
    Art (painting and teaching)
    Writing

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

There doesn't seem to be an update on his website either.......just a year old announcement that says "coming soon "
C

Posted Image

#5 diane

diane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

my thoughts... there must have been a some advanced copies sent from the publishers. I'm sure Philippe's second book will be available soon. True to his first book, the second is proving to be a good read ;) be totally encouraged, grab a copy when you can.
cheers, diane
Agecroft, Australia

Is there an elephant in the room?

#6 Nadj Al Nur

Nadj Al Nur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts
    Writing

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

my thoughts... there must have been a some advanced copies sent from the publishers. I'm sure Philippe's second book will be available soon. True to his first book, the second is proving to be a good read ;) be totally encouraged, grab a copy when you can.

Have you got it, Diane ?
C

Posted Image

#7 diane

diane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

yes'm :D

A nod from Phillippe ~ The Egyptian Alternative: In Search of the Identity of the Egyptian Arabian Bloodline (Volume II) December 2011 is now available via Amazon. Enjoy :)

Posted Image

469 pages

This book is a clarion call for revolution in the way breeders view, and breed, Egyptian Arabian Horses. in Vol.I Philippe Paraskevas challenged many current notions about breeding & horse showing practices, his primary concern being to safeguard the future of the Egyptian Arabian horse. In this volume he examines in great detail the E.A.O bloodpool - its different strains & sirelines, its antecedents & potential. he delves into the complexities of reading pedigrees, describing strains, sub-strains & horse families as well as the benefits of preservation breeding and outcrossing. this is a breeder's guide to the detailed genealogies of different strains as this writer chooses to read the vertical charts. The author takes a critical look at the effect of the fragmentation of what once was simply the Desert Arabian into a multitude of sub-categories as defined by a variety of associations of breeders. He defines the principles and plan of action required to ensure the rebirth of the Desert Arabian and gives us hope that there is still a way forward.

The Publisher
cheers, diane
Agecroft, Australia

#8 desertrat

desertrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Arabian Horses,Bridle Horses, Art, History of all sorts, Film, Music, Drama, Dance, and Literature.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

Thanks to all for giving notice of the availability of this book! Just ordered one from Amazon. Also, looks like the release of the Tahawy book is scheduled for the end of March?
  • diane likes this

#9 anitae

anitae

Advanced Member

• Gold Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

Both volumes are available from Arabian Horse World. I understand the books just arrived, and the on-line store is being updated today so you should be able to order by this evening at https://arabianhorseworld.com/eshop/

Anita
  • Nadj Al Nur and diane like this

#10 abbasiyah

abbasiyah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:02 PM

This is definate MUST READ to any serious breeder. I am sitting down with my glass of vino and reading...... so far it is fabulous:)
  • diane likes this
Judi Parks
Al Abbasiyah
http://www.AlAbbasiyah.com
alabbasiyah11@gmail.com

#11 Ray

Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses. Breeding Straight Egyptian, Classical Spanish and Golden Cross.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

This is definate MUST READ to any serious breeder. I am sitting down with my glass of vino and reading...... so far it is fabulous:)

Amen, Sister Parks! I have been working my way through the book, forcing myself to go slow and savor each sentence. Philippe is a great author for this material.
  • diane and Greg Egan like this

#12 abbasiyah

abbasiyah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:35 AM

Amen, Sister Parks! I have been working my way through the book, forcing myself to go slow and savor each sentence. Philippe is a great author for this material.

LOL.... I am trying to not speed read.... I doubt that I will be falling asleep early tonight.... I highly recommend this book and appreciate the author for his insight :)
  • Greg Egan likes this
Judi Parks
Al Abbasiyah
alabbasiyah11@gmail.com

#13 diane

diane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

Australia Day has been spent reading! How special was that - luxuriating in reading and making annotations on slips of paper ;) slowing reading down <sigh> This book is going to be worthy of a second read.
  • Greg Egan likes this
cheers, diane
Agecroft, Australia

#14 abbasiyah

abbasiyah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

I agree Diane... worthy of a second read for sure. I have managed to immerse myself in the book for most of the day (nothing got done). The book inspires me on one hand and depresses me on the other, especially when I read of the sales that the EAO has made and the loss of certain lines. I can just see some of the horses he describes in his book as I spent many a visit photographing at the EAO.... If anything he has changed my way of looking at a pedigree... the whole pedigree. Ha... we have squandered many a bloodline here in this country too. Hopefully it is not too late to do something about it.
  • VanAlma likes this
Judi Parks
Al Abbasiyah
alabbasiyah11@gmail.com

#15 Nadj Al Nur

Nadj Al Nur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts
    Writing

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

Gee, you two.........now I'm going to be chompin the bit till my copy gets here, LOL
C

Posted Image

#16 Ray

Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses. Breeding Straight Egyptian, Classical Spanish and Golden Cross.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:40 AM

I agree Diane... worthy of a second read for sure. I have managed to immerse myself in the book for most of the day (nothing got done). The book inspires me on one hand and depresses me on the other, especially when I read of the sales that the EAO has made and the loss of certain lines. I can just see some of the horses he describes in his book as I spent many a visit photographing at the EAO.... If anything he has changed my way of looking at a pedigree... the whole pedigree. Ha... we have squandered many a bloodline here in this country too. Hopefully it is not too late to do something about it.

I am wondering about the "lost lines" stuff myself. Some of those lines are still here in the US - so is he saying that these not acceptable to bring back to Egypt, or what??

#17 Seglavi

Seglavi

Advanced Member

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Interests:Breeding, preservation, trail riding. History, Family, Travel

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:33 AM

I believe that is correct Ray. I don't believe the EAO has added any lines that have left and then somehow returned to Egypt. Of course private breeders there use the US and other lines, just not the EAO. I hope I am not right about that but that was the impression I got when talking with the author last year at the EE.
  • diane likes this
Pam Studebaker
Saqlawiyat Arabians
Trotwood, Ohio, USA

#18 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

I believe that is correct Ray. I don't believe the EAO has added any lines that have left and then somehow returned to Egypt. Of course private breeders there use the US and other lines, just not the EAO. I hope I am not right about that but that was the impression I got when talking with the author last year at the EE.

they will not bring back horses which have been bred ONLY for a "fishhead" so concave it is ugly,
but will continue in producing beautiful and athletic horses. they are afraid of incorporating something which could damage the rest in their opinion. I agree with them.

The eAO horses are not just based on the "SE label" considering many of the ancestors, and they might even be wisde to go back to genuine source, lke the King Abdul Azil Farm in Marbat, outside of Riadh,Saudi Arabia.
Quite a few of these "Asils" resemble some of the SEs of the past. Par exellent stock in my eyes.
Also the Tais/syria still have excellent stock to be harvested from.

They also dont breed "AI" neither does the above farm and others. That cuts out a high percentage of horses here. I warned about this years ago. I guess at the end we all have to take the consequences, eh.Often greed, laziness, fad breeding and the like become our
demise.
take care
hansi

PS I e-mailed you, did it get lost?
Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#19 ponygirl

ponygirl

SLC CAMELOT FARMS advanced member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts
  • Interests:My interest mainly focus on my children and horses. Single mom of three grown children. I discovered my first arabian in 92 and have been hooked since. I have spent my life with many breeds and Arabians are the best. Their beauty never ceases to take my breath away

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

sounds like good reading.
SLC Camelot Farms
Sherry

#20 diane

diane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:31 AM

tremendous reading, Sherry :) Weekend has been wet and really woolly (read severe wind gusts, if closer to the coast, I'd suggest there could be a cyclone brewing such is the intensity!) so... decadence prevails yet again... reading. Now I'm at the other end of volume II and as per volume1, valuable and enlightening information is still forthcoming. Specific details relate to EAO Egyptian horses only but these are gems in themselves. Gems which can be used by all 'students of the breed' as all the majority of present day Arabians stem from this source, if not all in their pedigree, then to a good many.

A couple of new details here and there; debunking of manifestations / legacies of others (undertaken in a most considerate way) continue - a blessing; a couple of comparatively new words and phrases which I'm not accustomed to in this context eg banana head, bloodpool, student of the breed; along with a fairly good (humongous) dollop of common sense makes for an overall jolly good read.

The volumes, particularly Volume II, in a broader sense could be useful to the general Arabian connoisseur (student of the breed), even though the specifics deal with the EAO horses (past and into the present) and therefore asil/sE, the general concerns and the discussion on the varieties available within the one of the founding breed's of the world today, is relevant to all who want to benefit the breed in its entirety rather than for short term gain and/or glory.

Rating of the volume ...so far... 9.9 out of 10 :D

I neglected to think about the individuals who came directly from the desert without passing through the EAO!
and true enough another new terminology in the latter pages has been revealed!

Edited by diane, 29 January 2012 - 10:29 PM.

• abbasiyah likes this
cheers, diane
Agecroft, Australia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users