• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Interests:straight egyptian arabian horse breeder since 1967.
    researcher, author of 24 book puplications on arabian horses, the straight egyptian index and others,
    quarantine staton and manager okayed by florida depeartment of agriculture.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

Hi all
I suppose some of you watched the Kentucky Derby when "I'll have another" won.
Originally the exercise rider bought the horse for $ 11,000 sold it thereafter for $ 35,000 and the new owner now got a multi million dollar horse.

This rider trains, buys and sells, very successfully. He evaluates the horses he rides and market accordingly and that something in the 6figures.

Often I hear "I dont have the money to send the horse to the trainer" or whatever.
Now why would a rider send the horse out for training (under saddle) when this can be done at home provided of course you have some land. Just by using a large field/paddock and after the horse has basic dressage ( walks,trots and canters-flexes and bending properly)you can trot and gallop the horses around the fence lines and actually time it. And it only takes 15-20Minutes.
To determine speed,stamina and attitude give a clue of what the horses has and could do.
This is what TB farms down here do, they train at home.So have I.

Some people think its too rough a ground. I say it is not, because if the horse trains on it well, it will think the paramutual race track is a ball room floor, or the rough terrain a piece of cake..

I remember Tom McNair training "Faleh" next to their airstrip, and doing well. I used to gallop over my rough 160 acre farm in Canada with Khofo and others and was able to determine what I had.
But so can you all.

Liz Salmon is doing a fine job evaluating a horse, but this is from the "ground" and neither she, I or you can determine what the horse really got. No matter how good or bad the conformation, you will always get a surprise.

What is to be learned, how to exercise your horses on your home tracks and that is quite easy with common sense. To train eventually for endurance of course takes a different training and is more time consuming. But is this not what every rider loves, ride through the wide blue yanders?
What you need is a stop watch you wear on your wrist. And a gadget to check the heart rate
and the pulse after you finish and again 15 minutes later. SEs mostly recover quickly, go down from 60 or more to under 40 rate. Speaking to an accomplished and knowledgable endurance rider is also of great value to you. Recovery rates are very important, and this is what can not be determined by evaluating a horse only from the ground.,

Valery Kanavy, worldmaster champion, is in her middle of "60ties" and rides still like a trooper.
I guess she stays young, looks like 40 because of the riding she does, lots of it.

If you breed horses, get foals on the ground you can do only one thing, sell them or breed for what you want to keep. If it is for marketing you have to be able to give a resumee of the horse, at least the stallions. Head hunters often are not riders and dont have a clue of what they got, I feel.

Please, all think about it and may be at the EE some day a seminar is held teaching you more.

All take care and God bless you and your horses.

Hansi
Hansi-Heck Melnyk
Serenity Arabian farms, Florida, USA

Posted Image

#2 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
    researcher, author of 24 book puplications on arabian horses, the straight egyptian index and others,

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

Dear All

Over 100 viewers and not one reply. How shall we understand this? How can any of us even try to help, give advice from experiences and emaning well?

Some of you might have watched the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness- with this super chesnut colt I'll Have another.
who might just win the Belmont and become TB's "12th" triple crown winner. The colt belongs to an unknown person in the TB world, has a good pedigree and sold to this new owner at an auction for $ 35,000.

The accomplishment of this great young stallion and belonging to this fine person, gives encouragement to thousands of small owners afraid to compete against the million dollar TB entries. This an example of "testing" because one never knows what one really has. His trainer did an excellent job and the rider a superb one. I guess ALL THREE have HEART, EH.

aLL THIS HAPPENED BFORE AND CAN AGAIN.

Please think about it.

Hansi
Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#3 M Huprich

M Huprich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

Dear All

Some of you might have watched the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness- with this super chesnut colt I'll Have another.
who might just win the Belmont and become TB's "12th" triple crown winner. The colt belongs to an unknown person in the TB world, has a good pedigree and sold to this new owner at an auction for $ 35,000.

The accomplishment of this great young stallion and belonging to this fine person, gives encouragement to thousands of small owners afraid to compete against the million dollar TB entries. ...Hansi

J Paul Reddam is not an unknown person in the TB world. A multi-millionaire, he currently owns 20 broodmares, and has 25 horses in training. He's had entries in 19 Breeders' Cup races and they have won almost $3.8 milion dollars. He got started in standardbreds in the 70s, and still races them. He got is first thoroughbred in the late 80s.

#4 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

I watched the Preakness . . . a really nice race. I didn't have an opportunity to hear about the owner or the circumstances.

Hansi . . . I know that you believe in testing for speed, endurance and recovery times, and if one is planning to race their horses, these things are VERY important, however I would suspect that a very small number of Arabian owners are interested in racing their horses. I know that I'm not. I use a different method to "test" my horses. Conformation, temperament, trainability, heart, stamina . . . all these and more. I like to show, both in-hand and under saddle, however I believe that in fact, only a small number of owners are interested in showing in today's mainrings. I believe the vast number of owners are interested in other pursuits with their horses.
  • Roze and hansi like this

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

All horses at Aimbri Arabians are SE and AK, and all mares and stallions are LFS, CA and SCID Tested Clear!
Colt:

Aimbri El Kaream (REA El Kaream+ x Tal Imdal by Imperial Imdal+) 2013 grey colt LFS, CA and SCID tested Clear.

Mares:

Tammens Nadira (Tammen x ADH Nadafe by Shukri) 1995 Bay  
Aimbri Ansarah (Aseffa Moniet by Rasmoniet RSI x Zahara Basharah by Ramses Maris) 1996 Bay
MB Faheena (Safeen x AK Bint Fatiha by Moniet El Sharaf) 1997 Ches. 
Aimbri Amira Matrabb (El Matrabb x Dorian Mon Amie by AK Na Moniet) 1998 Ches/Flax 
Aimbri Zaafinah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2004 Ches/Flaxen 
Aimbri Amurra (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2005 Ches. SOLD!
Aimbri Fawzia (Moon Sheine x Tammens Nadira) 2005 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Zakirah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2006 Bay SOLD!
Aimbri Amira Alia (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2006 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Bint Bint Matrabb (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb) 2011 Ches.

2 SE/AK Sweepstakes Nominated Chestnut Geldings by El Matrabb  SOLD! $
Aimbri Emir Hilal (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb by El Matrabb) 2007 Ches. $

#5 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

I watched the Preakness . . . a really nice race. I didn't have an opportunity to hear about the owner or the circumstances.

Hansi . . . I know that you believe in testing for speed, endurance and recovery times, and if one is planning to race their horses, these things are VERY important, however I would suspect that a very small number of Arabian owners are interested in racing their horses. I know that I'm not. I use a different method to "test" my horses. Conformation, temperament, trainability, heart, stamina . . . all these and more. I like to show, both in-hand and under saddle, however I believe that in fact, only a small number of owners are interested in showing in today's mainrings. I believe the vast number of owners are interested in other pursuits with their horses.

Jeanette

but this is what testing is also for. Indeed one does not have to race, but I thought one should know about the stamina,courage and even speed of the horse. WhaT YOU ARE DOING IS GREAT, and I wish more pople would do this.
I also trained in english,western,driving, etc.etc. and showed in these diziplines. Indeed the showring noadays is so different than decades ago. It's almost like russian roulet, eh.

I am not that familiar with TB racing anymore, and dont have the time to go on Google to check everything out and then trumpet off. So glad others can do it.
But we do have records of Arabian horses internationally which have done well in various diziplines.

Take care
hansi
Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#6 Cheryl L

Cheryl L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Arabians
    Gardening
    Poodles
    and a touch of photography

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:50 AM

J Paul Reddam is not an unknown person in the TB world. A multi-millionaire, he currently owns 20 broodmares, and has 25 horses in training. He's had entries in 19 Breeders' Cup races and they have won almost $3.8 milion dollars. He got started in standardbreds in the 70s, and still races them. He got is first thoroughbred in the late 80s.

Thanks for that information, Melissa. It is always good to have the facts straight. It sure was an amazing race. I really like Bodemeister too.
  • Nadj Al Nur, Kathy Bailey, sgarabians and 1 other like this

#7 M Huprich

M Huprich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:56 AM

Maybe Bodemeister and I'll Have Another will be the Affirmed and Alydar of this generation.
  • Kathy Bailey likes this

#8 Cheryl L

Cheryl L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
    Gardening
    Poodles

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:32 AM

That is what I was saying to Carrie the other day. Affirmed won the Triple Crown, but Alydar was the better sire. It sure is exciting to see these two run together. It's going to make the Belmont a must see race.

#9 Tyger Pines

Tyger Pines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:01 AM

Bodemeister won't be there...at least from what I've read.

#10 Nadj Al Nur

Nadj Al Nur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts
  • Interests:Horses
    Art (painting and teaching)
    Writing

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:18 AM

That's too bad.......... do they give any reason why ?
C

Posted Image

#11 desertrat

desertrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Arabian Horses,Bridle Horses, Art, History of all sorts, Film, Music, Drama, Dance, and Literature.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

That's too bad.......... do they give any reason why ?
C

Well, the "Baff" says he was not planning on the Belmont anyway. Poor "I'll Have Another" better lace up his running shoes tightly!

#12 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for that information, Melissa. It is always good to have the facts straight. It sure was an amazing race. I really like Bodemeister too.

You are so right, getting facts straight. Is it not wonderful just looking up data at Google and then educating us.
Unfortunately I dont have the time for this and go by experiences or hard study. so happy others are more fortunate.

Hansi..
Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#13 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hi Tom

I read this too here in the Gainesville Sun Newspaper.. I dont think Bodemeister has the distance. Looked to me if he was laboring at the end.
Woud be so wonderful having finally another triple crown winner.

Hansi
Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#14 Tyger Pines

Tyger Pines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

I'll Have Another better keep his eye on Dullahan who was a fast closing third in the Derby and sat out the Preakness. Dullahan did lose his Derby jockey, Kent Desormeaux, who was taken off for refusing a breathalyser exam. His replacement, Javier Castellano, is no slouch, however.

Tommy

#15 Cheryl L

Cheryl L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
    Gardening
    Poodles

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

You are so right, getting facts straight. Is it not wonderful just looking up data at Google and then educating us.
Unfortunately I dont have the time for this and go by experiences or hard study. so happy others are more fortunate.

Hansi..

Well, it is alot better to have the correct information, than spreading rumors or hearsay.
  • Kathy Bailey, Willowbreeze, sgarabians and 1 other like this

#16 sgarabians

sgarabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

Hansi..

Research is research - no matter the sources used. Do not be so disparaging of others prepared to supply us all with some information we might not have and can appreciate. We are all here to learn in one way or another.
  • Kathy Bailey, Willowbreeze and Cheryl L like this
Dave

SGA ARABIANS - Australia.

www.sgarabians.com

#17 Caryn Rogosky

Caryn Rogosky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, Art, Spirituality, Design (Interior,Fashion and Ad Design), Creative Cooking, Growing Flowers, Learning, Family and True Friendship.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:24 AM

Hansi..

Are you speaking about the information Melissa provided? If so, I did not see a source referenced so not sure how you would know where she got her information. However, most researchers do utilize the Internet to access information -- accuracy is what matters regardless of the source. If using the Internet for research is so easy (compared to "hard study"), surely any researcher would have time to utlize this source to fact check?

#18 Ray

Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses. Breeding Straight Egyptian, Classical Spanish and Golden Cross.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Blah, blah, blah...nobody cares! The "status" of J Paul Reddam or the colt's previous owner, Victor M. Davila as being "knowns" or "unknowns" has NOTHING to do with the topic. The "status" of being "known" or "unknown" would be subjective and therefore difficult, if not pointless, to try to establish as fact. Either way, it is certainly not misleading to characterize these people as being previously unknown. I never heard of either one fo them. Of course now, with the big wins, everybody has heard of them. But give it a few weeks and memory will fade.

#19 M Huprich

M Huprich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Ray, I was not the one that brought up the name of Paul Reddam.

I agree that he is probably unknown to the Arab world, but not to the TB world.
  • Cheryl L likes this

#20 sgarabians

sgarabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:14 AM

Blah, blah, blah...nobody cares! The "status" of J Paul Reddam or the colt's previous owner, Victor M. Davila as being "knowns" or "unknowns" has NOTHING to do with the topic. The "status" of being "known" or "unknown" would be subjective and therefore difficult, if not pointless, to try to establish as fact. Either way, it is certainly not misleading to characterize these people as being previously unknown. I never heard of either one fo them. Of course now, with the big wins, everybody has heard of them. But give it a few weeks and memory will fade.

Speaking for yourself maybe Ray but not for all of us - some people might and do care - and sloppy research is indicative I think.
  • Kathy Bailey and M Huprich like this
Dave

SGA ARABIANS - Australia.

www.sgarabians.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users