27 replies to this topic

#21 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

I read your exchanges and thought, and now that I've thought some more, I think that there is no difference when it comes to good basic riding and training.

I can ride in western saddle, but I use my dressage principals. When I teach someone how to improve their riding, I do it with those basic principals regardless of tack.

Basic training is basic training - not matter the discipline - I think.

All a young horse needs is to be relaxed and willing to go forward. The hard work comes with time and condition.

Just my thoughts :)

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#22 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

Jacques blog is, for me, exceptional and hope that if more of us post about our experiences we can draw more people into working their horses and do just any kind of growing in what is becoming a very small breed.

Disappointment time for Mr. Buddy and me.  Trainer had his newly hired assistant of the last month quit to go work on a ranch (branding, sorting etc done for the fall and sorta easy times now on a ranch until calving early next spring/late winter) so he was having to make radical adjustments.  Plus, and a big plus, the trainer is a team roper which I knew and understand from the beginning.  His wife team ropes, her mother and sister team rope, both their kids are accomplished riders and the youngest will be 4 yrs old next month and can outride most of the kids being plopped on these huge Saddlebred/Arab crosses at the shows that are several years older than him!

Anyway Mr Buddy could care less about what the cow is doing.  To boot, he has had a problem in utilizing his food.  So off to the vet he went yesterday for examination.  Teeth, that I had been asking about since last year as a 3 yr old and continued asking with this trainer, were done.  Badly needed so hope that will soon end the "do not want a bit in my mouth" attitude.

Vet also said he had "bad bugs" in his stomach that have been taking all the nutrition -- food has been coming at this horse plentiful and still no weight gain.  He was being oiled to remove the bugs from his entire system and Buddy is staying with the vet for 2 days for the second application before coming home. 

So need figuring out where/what he wants to do as a riding horse.  And looking for an Arabian to work cows now again. 

#23 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

When Bubba was 3, we sent him out for 30 to be formally backed while I was moving to Arkansas. He nearly freaked when Jerome (trainer) tried to put any pressure on the bit. Head toss and nearly flipped over more than once. Come to find out, he needed his teeth done badly and would tolerate putting a bit in his mouth because we wanted him to, but had no tolerance for the pain when any pressure was applied. I have since found out he works well in a Myler, and Buddy may be the same.

Sorry to hear about the "bugs". I suspect Strongyles. There are terrible in this area. I power packed mine last year.

The good thing is, he is not flighty around cows and has an excellent foundation for riding even if he doesn't care about working cows. For someone like me, who gets nervous riding through a bunch of cows (I personally don't like cows), I'd like that in a horse. Clearly, it's not for you, and I hope you find one soon.

Any chance your Alih daughters would work cattle? I suspect an active mind could be put to work in that manner. No?

• jmarcan likes this

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#24 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

Tee hee Princess would scatter them and then have great fun racing to head them off -- probably could not pull her up fast enough and cow would go somewhere else for the next month.   No, both those mares are race horses.

Yeah and has Buddy ever learned!  Problemo is at my age have no desire to do 50/75/100 mile endurance rides where he would excel!.  He has been wormed to death!  All the horses so don't think Strongyles.  Never had "bugs" before so will be learning. 

Buddy has been accepting and been worked in the snaffle bit.  However, standing way back in a corner where he could not see me watched the floating process.  The one side of his mouth hurt so much (tried to tell everybody to no avail!) even heavily sedated he did not want to be touched on the left side of his mouth. 

See what happens and if he will take the bit from me.   Cold front coming in tonight.  Very good news is there was no call from the vet clinic re: "oiling" to flush out nasty bugs. 

#25 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

Ahhh, yes, you really meant the term "bugs". I have heard that myself from my vet. Don't know exactly what it means, but he learned it from an "ole timer" that sometimes a flush is needed for something in there acting like a worm even though there are none present. If I can remember, the next time I see him I'll ask him about it. When he told me about it (had a boarder with major issues and this was suspect) he laughed at how "hokey" it was, but said he had luck flushing, so did it when all other diagnosis were ruled out.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#26 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

Vet wrote:  Protozool overload; floated teeth, gave 3/4 gallon oil 10/21 and 10/23.  That was it.  Almost $325 with gas for hauling.

Tonight he got his beet pulp, soaked, with Nutreinia (sp?) 12% grain mixture and grass hay.  Didn't want the grass hay and scattered it.  Shame, shame on you I said.  So got him some haygrazer and watched him.  Carefully smelled, went through with his muzzle and then started slowly picking up one leaf after another -- he is learning how to use his mouth again.

Was going to put the bridle on him tomorrow but think I will instead go out and groom him all over, brush mane, and wait till Friday with the bridle. 

Edited by An American Breeder, 24 October 2013 - 01:03 AM.

#27 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

Mr. Buddy is doing great as in putting on weight and in being very happy to be home.   A sad side note is that the Muleshoe (name of town) Vet Clinic burned to the ground Sunday night.  They will continue in business.  I have watched carefully how he eats and intend to take him back up in the spring for a worming, he just HATES it and to have his teeth checked again. 

As for bridling, we have had hideous weather; one nice and then wind, wind, cold, etc.  Course the terrible wind a week ago and then the wind with freezing drizzle and then 8 inches of snow that did nothing for manes! 

From here on intend to refer to my second trainer as the roper trainer because cowboy trainer has such a negative connotation.  That man did wonders, in spades, for teaching this horse that it does not matter if you don't like something, if the human says do it, it is DO IT.  And there is no anger, no pouting.  Case in point:  his mane was horrid with wind knots so have been slowly for the last 3 days quietly standing beside him and twirling, slowly undoing the knots, like with a jewelry chain, while he eats his grain standing free, no halter.  And no problem!

His breeder had always used cross ties for grooming, picking feet, etc and so Mr Buddy had never learned to just stand with no head confinement.  He needed to learn and did. 

• JacqueB likes this

#28 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

The weather has been nothinig but yo-yo/warm enough to work a horse and ride and the next day bitter cold with a wind.  So with no barn yet - it is coming though! - not riding but turning Mr. Buddy out in a much larger pen for my little place, 28 x 50, which he loves.  The other day he was antcy to get there and I got right in front of him and got in his face scolding, he lowers his head until those big eyes are level with mine and I coo to him, so few more steps and antcy again, same process.  He now has it figured out.

What was he so eager for?  Turned loose in that pen so he could R O L L. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users