Photo

Well, It's Been Almost 30 Hours...so I Guess I Can Announce Twins!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

POPULAR

For those of you who are not on Facebook with me, we have TWINS! My mom bought a mare from Windy Hill Sport Horses in Nebraska and she just foaled a colt and a filly by Gabriel MCA and out of Tahara Risaana. They are Hadbans of the Sameh sire line. My parents are in love. I need to get my plane ticket up there to see them! The colt is strong and, as my mother puts it, "born walking, talking and ready to go to Kindergarten". He was up in under 20 minutes. The filly not so much but she's getting better with assistance with standing and walking some. It will be touch and go with her for quite some time, but is such an exciting event I just feel compelled to share all over the place with people who appreciate this experience. Attached is a pic of proud papa (my dad LOL) holding Beta (the filly) with Alpha (the colt) looking on. I also attached a pic of Alpha taken maybe 12 hours after birth. He's going to be big, me thinks :) Thanks for letting me share. I'm so excited!

Please excuse Alpha and Beta's name right now. My dad does stuff like that. I fear those barn names WILL stick. We'll see :P

Attached Files

• sdlarabians, wyndski, oli and 10 others like this

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#2 Heidi

Heidi

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

congrats on the wee ones
  • VanAlma likes this

BINT SAFIERA 2000 Bay mare
SHAMS EL BINA 2002 Bay mare
NAKHDA AL SHAIB 2004 Grey Gelding<---- AL
SIHR JAWHER 2006 Bay Stallion
NADEERAH ALIAH 2006 Bay mare
ZAHRAN HAMRAH 2006 Grey mare
SHAMS FIDAT 2012 grey filly SKYLER the 1/2 Arabian pinto wonder horse

#3 DJ Sheldon

DJ Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Congratulations and best of luck with them.  They are beautiful.  Your mom must be in a state of shock.  Do things ever go as expected up there?

• VanAlma likes this

#4 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

NO. NOTHING goes as expected - EVER. She is beyond tired and beyond elated. She has been in the same clothes since yesterday AM when she went out to feed and Risaana was in labor. I told her no more babies up there (like she'll listen to me). I can't help but think what a little gift after our loss earlier this year. I only hope the filly makes it.

• sdlarabians likes this

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#5 diane

diane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Here's wishing your parents all the very best with these two, Kate.  Although smaller than Alpha - Beta looks good.  Considering Alpha's big he would've taken up so much room and nutriment... Beta has done exceptionally well to get this far :)  Has Beta being doing all the 'normal' things of new born foals, even with assistance?  How is Risaana coping with two?  Was she a maiden mare? 

So many questions, so far away!

cheers, diane
Agecroft, Australia

Is there an elephant in the room?

#6 DJ Sheldon

DJ Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Kate - I had a premie here lots of years ago and he was pretty small and unable to really stand on his own for a couple days.  We had to bottle feed him for that first couple days until he could manage to stand on his own.  After that, once he found the milk bar, there was no stopping him.  Your filly doesn't look any smaller or more frail than our colt, so I think her prospects are good.

• VanAlma likes this

#7 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

Beta has been doing everything she should do just on a limited basis. She fights to stand up and after she fights for a while my parents help her up, although she has recently gotten up on her own. She will stand and walk with some assistance and they are letting her do more and more on her own when she wants to. She drinks from the bottle and if she gets close enough to mom will nurse. She was actually the first to nurse off her mother as they had given the supplemental colostrum because they were worried Risaana was not going to produce enough milk, but that is not the case. The one thing that is normal is her appetite. She eats regularly and eats a lot. She has already put on weight since yesterday. 

Risaana is not a maiden, thank god for that. She has been the model mare and mama. At one point yesterday, there were 5 people in the stall with them (vet, 2 neighbors and my parents) and not once did she get upset or cause anyone to worry about what she might do. She nickers to them both, although yesterday was following Alpha around the stall but when Beta became more active she took an interest in her as well. No problems with nursing but both have not nursed at the same time so we'll see. Mom says the babies sleep together and she just rests right with them.

I'm awaiting an update call and more pics. Will share when I get them!

• sdlarabians, Melissa, Nadj Al Nur and 3 others like this

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#8 desertrat

desertrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Arabian Horses,Bridle Horses, Art, History of all sorts, Film, Music, Drama, Dance, and Literature.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

What a great Mom! (Human and horse) Best of Luck!

#9 Jill Erisman

Jill Erisman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:The horses.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Glad to hear the filly is improving Kate:

congratulations!

#10 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Well, so much for hoping we were in the clear. Beta passed away this morning under my mom's watch. Thanks for all the good thoughts. I was pulling for the little miracle to make it - but it just wasn't meant to be.

• diane and Cheryl L like this

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#11 DJ Sheldon

DJ Sheldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

How awful!  I thought her chances were good as she seemed to be such a fighter.  I'm so sorry for you and your mom and dad.  I was really hoping for a happy ending to this story after the loss suffered a few months ago.

#12 Roze

Roze

Advanced Member

• Gold Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

So sorry to hear :(

Roze Arabians Ltd.
Straight Egyptians, Straight Performance

Nile Roze+

(Ansata Nile Bay x LM Bint Fakher)
2001 Straight Egyptian Mare

Aroze to Nobility
(Aspecial Ali x Noble Karama)
2005 Straight Egyptian Gelding

Escapade SHF
(Scapa x The Aurora)
2009 Straight Egyptian Gelding

Mehdi Amir RZ
(Masada Mazal x Nile Roze+)
2013 Straight Egyptian Colt

Noble Kamara

(Imperial Al Kamar x Imperial Sahrapha)
2000 Straight Egyptian Mare

Rest In Peace:

Amer Azhaar

(Laheeb Al Nasser x Dorian Binthadidi)
2011 Straight Egyptian Stallion

http://www.rozearabians.com

#13 Heidi

Heidi

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

I'm so sorry, I came here to see the latest news.

BINT SAFIERA 2000 Bay mare
SHAMS EL BINA 2002 Bay mare
NAKHDA AL SHAIB 2004 Grey Gelding<---- AL
SIHR JAWHER 2006 Bay Stallion
NADEERAH ALIAH 2006 Bay mare
ZAHRAN HAMRAH 2006 Grey mare
SHAMS FIDAT 2012 grey filly SKYLER the 1/2 Arabian pinto wonder horse

#14 desertrat

desertrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Arabian Horses,Bridle Horses, Art, History of all sorts, Film, Music, Drama, Dance, and Literature.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

So sorry for your loss.

#15 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Thanks, all. It happened how I figured it would. Mom had been feeding her every hour and it was like in 60 minutes she went from being great to not so good. Mom said she wouldn't take much milk so brought her in the house to care for her and keep her warm. She went quickly and quietly - the best way if it's going to happen. My brother went out there and he got video of Alpha playing outside for the first time, which I can not wait to see. His phone call made my day. I'll share the link here when I get to it.

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#16 karin

karin

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

oh I am so sorry to hear this. I was following it on the other link. She looked a bit frail to me. Wish your parents all the best in this!

#17 Avalondales

Avalondales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Interests:Straight Egyptian Arabians... Pedigree and Strain Research... Gardening, fishing, and taking care of my mini-farm...

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

Well, so much for hoping we were in the clear. Beta passed away this morning under my mom's watch. Thanks for all the good thoughts. I was pulling for the little miracle to make it - but it just wasn't meant to be.

I am so sorry to hear she didn't make it.  I have been trying to follow her on facebook and very sad t hear she is gone.. Bless your parents for trying to save her... Tracy

Avalondales Egyptian Arabians
The Spirit of Ancient Egypt

The home of

SA Shaikh Al Sakr 2001 SE/AK Grey Gelding (Harakka X FA Maronique)
AVA Ishaaq Al Haytham 2008 SE/AK Grey Gelding (SA Shaikh Al Sakr X Sara Al Badeia)
AVA Lilith 2009 SE/AK Bay Filly (SA Shaikh Al Sakr X Josephin Al Badeia)

NSH Mares
Jazzair Muyamman 2000 Black Bay Mare (Banner of Islam X Nydia Bask)
AVA Farah De Angela 2005 Bay Mare (Harakka X Jazzair Muyamman)

#18 Kat

Kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Straight egyptian arabians, north woods hiking, cats, rock hounding, photography, gardening, canning, wild berries, fishing, travel, kids, and grandma!!!! I love my Reese's to
    piece's and she is my future horse girl!!!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

So sorry to hear this Kate and for your mom and dad.

#19 wildcat180

wildcat180

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this.  It sounded so hopeful that I felt like someone pulled the rug out from under me when I read she passed.  I can imagine how you and your family must feel.

#20 jmarcan

jmarcan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

...always so devastating to lose a baby or a mare....so sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users