68 replies to this topic

#1 DKZ

DKZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

I was watching the Egyptian Event off and on the last couple days and it's changing a little over the years.  I was wondering what everyone else thought.

Please be nice about it.

First what I liked.  I think the horses are shown in a more relaxed manner.  The horses on the rail seemed very relaxed for the most part. I was very pleased to see not much of the really greasy faces.  The horses actually looked like horses and not plastic models.  From the few classes I saw I think the bodies are getting better substance.  A change that I don't see happening as fast in AHA shows I've watched. 

Changes I don't like.  I wish they would have kept the Endurance races.  I understand the reason they stopped them (I know it takes a lot of work and volunteers) but think it was an very important part of the Event, it sort of stated to the world what SE's should be ........ functional and beautiful.  The mature Stallion Showcase should have stayed.  I realize the entries were small but I want to see the stallions I would possibly breed to in one place where I can compare them up close and personal without driving all over the country.  A couple years ago I drove 1500  miles to the EE round trip.  I mainly wanted to see the Endurance races (but they didn't have them that year) and the Stallion Showcase. So although the entries were small in the Showcase I still thought it worth driving that distance to see them.  So maybe instead of looking at it as not drawing enough participants as they would like, looking at it as drawing more spectators.  I know my dollars didn't go directly to the PS, but we did bid on a couple auction items and bought WAY to many items at the booths.  The young colts are interesting but not so much as to drive that far to see.

#2 Suellen Taylor

Suellen Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Dolls, Royal Doultons and Antique Costume Jewelry

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

Hi there Deb..I have been watching also..and was amazed to hear there is now a 100.00 gate fee per horse..do not care for that.

I also like the walk..a bit different this year..and the judging has been pretty close, but at times far apart..depends on the judge..one there that really doesn't care for the straight egyptian.  Oh well.

I like the penalty points taken for balding, hated that from the beginning, think the horses should look like they came out of the pasture, with a brush and comb only perhaps...LOL  and I do like the body substance you mentioned.

It is a much more relaxed atmosphere, and the horses are not shying much from their handlers..I have enjoyed what I have seen so far!

Congratulations to all the presenters, and our own Jan Alexander for winning the Senior Stallion class with The Covenant AE.. gorgeous animal!

• Nadj Al Nur, Heidi and DKZ like this

TOP Of The Hill Arabians

Marshallville GA

Phone: 478-472-6141

Email: tophillarabs@windstream.net

The Gals:

Elegant Dahncer     Mahrdan x Kohlan 1995    Will stay with us for life!

Imdala El Jamaal         Dakharo x Imiella   2005    Bred to Marbeau Le Reve' (My last hurrah????)

The Guys:

Khalid Omar Khayal    GR Shadow x Khalia Spring 2005 (AKA Spunky Bruiser)  With us for life!

#3 Heidi

Heidi

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

Love not seeing some of the SOB handlers.Horses look much calmer!
  • Melissa likes this

BINT SAFIERA 2000 Bay mare
SHAMS EL BINA 2002 Bay mare
NAKHDA AL SHAIB 2004 Grey Gelding<---- AL
SIHR JAWHER 2006 Bay Stallion
NADEERAH ALIAH 2006 Bay mare
ZAHRAN HAMRAH 2006 Grey mare
SHAMS FIDAT 2012 grey filly SKYLER the 1/2 Arabian pinto wonder horse

#4 Nadj Al Nur

Nadj Al Nur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts
  • Interests:Horses
    Art (painting and teaching)
    Writing

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

There was improvement last year and there is improvement again this year. Nice to see.

Huge Congratulations to Jan Alexander on her win.

Posted Image

#5 DKZ

DKZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

I think the EE is definitely headed in the right direction with presentation for the most part. :)

Also, was lucky enough to catch The Covenant AE's win on live stream.  :1233_hand_clapping: Congratulations!

#6 crooked creek

crooked creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

Hi everyone
Thanks for the nice remarks about my stallion!

I agree with the above statements about the relaxed way the horses are now shown. I see much less abuse outside the arena and am so happy to see that. I also don't like a lot of grease. I do like a little clipping and I body clip as well. Overall things are improving and I am so glad. I believe that these changes came about from the petition sent to the PS a couple of years ago thanks to some of our members that started it. I think the PS is listening to the membership.
The seminars have been nice so far.

Anyway we are having a great show with the exception of having a sick 3 year old. If any if you are here come by barn 5. Would love to meet you!

Jan
  • Nadj Al Nur and jmarcan like this
Jan Alexander
Crooked Creek Arabians
Jacksonville, Arkansas

#7 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Interests:Egyptian & Fadjur bloodlines, pedigree research, dressage, trail riding, Horse Council, 4-H, horses in education, halter and performance

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

PS---really enjoyed meeting you here in Las Vegas, and seeing your young horse up close.. You are a kind and sincere person, who has some very nice bloodlines, and who gets them under saddle !!!!!!

#8 Windfall

Windfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:12 AM

Hi everyone
Thanks for the nice remarks about my stallion!

I agree with the above statements about the relaxed way the horses are now shown. I see much less abuse outside the arena and am so happy to see that. I also don't like a lot of grease. I do like a little clipping and I body clip as well. Overall things are improving and I am so glad. I believe that these changes came about from the petition sent to the PS a couple of years ago thanks to some of our members that started it. I think the PS is listening to the membership.
The seminars have been nice so far.

Anyway we are having a great show with the exception of having a sick 3 year old. If any if you are here come by barn 5. Would love to meet you!

Jan

I saw The Covenant win his class last night and he is a glorious stallion!  And such tail carriage!  He's beautiful.  

I agree with the comments from everyone watching from home.  Being here all week, I've seen the atmosphere in the arena and around the park being even more relaxed than last year and the horses are showing even better.  Having been a part of submitting the petition, I really appreciate you mentioning it.  Most people were very supportive, but I did receive some critical emails that I haven't forgotten.  I'm so happy with the improvement and for the powers that be who made it happen.  Along this line, I enjoyed the article in the May issue of the Arabian Horse World with Philippe Paraskevas.  In part, he echoes many of the concerns raised in our petition.  I hope the strict enforcement of the rules carry on to other shows and venues.  Anyone can watch the Event this year and see what a difference it makes to see a happy, spirited Arabian loving life and showing off!

Connie

• Nadj Al Nur and Heidi like this
Terry & Constance Arnett
Windfall Arabians
Henrico, VA
(804)795-1954

El Rhaqiis DSA 2001 SE Stallion (El Majiid x Rhalah by Ibn Shaikh)
Rapture DSA 1998 SE Mare (Fakim El Mareekh x Rhalah by Ibn Shaikh)
Dameera DSA 2000 SE Mare (Harakka x Delha by Dalul)

www.windfallarabians.org

#9 Suellen Taylor

Suellen Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Dolls, Royal Doultons and Antique Costume Jewelry

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

Amen! Good, Connie...sorry missing you!

• Windfall likes this

TOP Of The Hill Arabians

Marshallville GA

Phone: 478-472-6141

Email: tophillarabs@windstream.net

The Gals:

Elegant Dahncer     Mahrdan x Kohlan 1995    Will stay with us for life!

Imdala El Jamaal         Dakharo x Imiella   2005    Bred to Marbeau Le Reve' (My last hurrah????)

The Guys:

Khalid Omar Khayal    GR Shadow x Khalia Spring 2005 (AKA Spunky Bruiser)  With us for life!

#10 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Interests:straight egyptian arabian horse breeder since 1967.
    researcher, author of 24 book puplications on arabian horses, the straight egyptian index and others,
    quarantine staton and manager okayed by florida depeartment of agriculture.

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

I saw The Covenant win his class last night and he is a glorious stallion!  And such tail carriage!  He's beautiful.  

I agree with the comments from everyone watching from home.  Being here all week, I've seen the atmosphere in the arena and around the park being even more relaxed than last year and the horses are showing even better.  Having been a part of submitting the petition, I really appreciate you mentioning it.  Most people were very supportive, but I did receive some critical emails that I haven't forgotten.  I'm so happy with the improvement and for the powers that be who made it happen.  Along this line, I enjoyed the article in the May issue of the Arabian Horse World with Philippe Paraskevas.  In part, he echoes many of the concerns raised in our petition.  I hope the strict enforcement of the rules carry on to other shows and venues.  Anyone can watch the Event this year and see what a difference it makes to see a happy, spirited Arabian loving life and showing off!

Connie

Good to hear this.

The outdoor arena of the Marbach Studs holds 10,000 people and most of the years one hardly even gets a "standing"

area. Reason,the Public loves seeing their performance classes, which are plentifull and oustanding. 

An entry fee is charged and amounts to a lot at the end.

I just wonder how many spectators the EE gets every year- at least from Lexington?

I guess people want to see horses under saddle.

Hansi

Hansi-Heck Melnyk
Serenity Arabian farms, Florida, USA

Posted Image

#11 crooked creek

crooked creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

POPULAR

More horses in the performance classes this year!! My gelding winning Hunter Pleasure Open last Monday😀😀

Attached Files

• Nadj Al Nur, Heidi, Windfall and 9 others like this
Jan Alexander
Crooked Creek Arabians
Jacksonville, Arkansas

#12 Heidi

Heidi

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

That is one happy rider on a beautiful gelding!
  • desertrat likes this

#13 Windfall

Windfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:30 AM

I just wonder how many spectators the EE gets every year- at least from Lexington?

I guess people want to see horses under saddle.

Hansi

Hansi, I don't have the statistics but I believe there are many more entries in the performance classes this year than I remember in recent years.  It's been great to see, as evidenced by that great photo of Jan's gorgeous gelding!  And Tommy Garland had a great clinic this morning on "Riding your Straight Egyptian" that was well-attended.  So, maybe those in attendance will decide to take his advice and get more of their horses under saddle.  He had 2 beautiful SE stallions for demonstration and they were so well-behaved and Halimaars King Tut is bomb-proof!  I really like that horse!  Tommy stressed patience and knowing your horse and accepting the fact that horses can have bad days the same as we can.  If that happens, give him a break and pick it up again tomorrow.  Now, he also said if it's just stubbornness, then you work through it, but if just an off day, give him a day off.  

As for spectators, most that I've seen are regular attendees.  There does seem to be quite a number of new folks to straight Egyptians.  As for locals, I did meet one person yesterday who lives in Lexington and attends the EE every year.  Otherwise, I have seen very few Park visitors or tourists this year.  I think that's most likely due to the poor economy.  I haven't seen the horse trolleys at all, though I certainly could have missed it while doing other things.

Just wanted to add that the Barn parties were held yesterday and there were many elaborate spreads and beautiful presentations of horses.  We always make sure to never miss the Stylianous' Party!  Their party was fabulous, as always!  And even a slight rain delay couldn't slow it down!  There was their signature Greek food that we love and beverages, and a make-your-own sundae bar!  They do know how to party!!!  There were presentations of beautiful horses from many different farms, all stabled in Barn 4 this week.  It was a perfect scene as the sun went down, savoring the delicious food, enjoying the company and making new friends with other horse people, while watching gorgeous, well-behaved horses being presented (one by a 6-year old!).

Connie

• Nadj Al Nur, DKZ, WindCzar and 1 other like this
Terry & Constance Arnett
Windfall Arabians
Henrico, VA
(804)795-1954

El Rhaqiis DSA 2001 SE Stallion (El Majiid x Rhalah by Ibn Shaikh)
Rapture DSA 1998 SE Mare (Fakim El Mareekh x Rhalah by Ibn Shaikh)
Dameera DSA 2000 SE Mare (Harakka x Delha by Dalul)

www.windfallarabians.org

#14 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
    researcher, author of 24 book puplications on arabian horses, the straight egyptian index and others,

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hansi, I don't have the statistics but I believe there are many more entries in the performance classes this year than I remember in recent years.  It's been great to see, as evidenced by that great photo of Jan's gorgeous gelding!  And Tommy Garland had a great clinic this morning on "Riding your Straight Egyptian" that was well-attended.  So, maybe those in attendance will decide to take his advice and get more of their horses under saddle.  He had 2 beautiful SE stallions for demonstration and they were so well-behaved and Halimaars King Tut is bomb-proof!  I really like that horse!  Tommy stressed patience and knowing your horse and accepting the fact that horses can have bad days the same as we can.  If that happens, give him a break and pick it up again tomorrow.  Now, he also said if it's just stubbornness, then you work through it, but if just an off day, give him a day off.  

As for spectators, most that I've seen are regular attendees.  There does seem to be quite a number of new folks to straight Egyptians.  As for locals, I did meet one person yesterday who lives in Lexington and attends the EE every year.  Otherwise, I have seen very few Park visitors or tourists this year.  I think that's most likely due to the poor economy.  I haven't seen the horse trolleys at all, though I certainly could have missed it while doing other things.

Just wanted to add that the Barn parties were held yesterday and there were many elaborate spreads and beautiful presentations of horses.  We always make sure to never miss the Stylianous' Party!  Their party was fabulous, as always!  And even a slight rain delay couldn't slow it down!  There was their signature Greek food that we love and beverages, and a make-your-own sundae bar!  They do know how to party!!!  There were presentations of beautiful horses from many different farms, all stabled in Barn 4 this week.  It was a perfect scene as the sun went down, savoring the delicious food, enjoying the company and making new friends with other horse people, while watching gorgeous, well-behaved horses being presented (one by a 6-year old!).

Connie

Thanks Connie, o I am so happy to hear this. I hope it will continue  and bring back respect for the Se horse and the EE. Amazing how much can be done in a shot time, if the will is there, eh. Most of all if we stop trainers directing or influencing  breeding programs for their own benefit, all will be achieved in my opinion.

All take care, continue to have a grand time

Hansi

Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#15 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

More horses in the performance classes this year!! My gelding winning Hunter Pleasure Open last Monday

DEar Jane

congrats for the win of the Covenant. Who is this gorgous gelding and rider?

Thanks for the photo and further good luck.

Hansi

Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#16 crooked creek

crooked creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

Handing the gelding is Richters Finale. He is by Richter MH out of Eagle Elegant. He is also my trail horse!!

Jan A
  • Heidi and desertrat like this
Jan Alexander
Crooked Creek Arabians
Jacksonville, Arkansas

#17 M Huprich

M Huprich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

The $100 gate fee is due to the increased costs that are being charged by the horse park.  The costs there have risen for all venues.  I heard that the Saluki national specialty is no longer at the horse park due to the increases in price charged by the horse park. 

And I did not see as many visitors at the horse park this year either - the parking lot is not as full.  But there are non-SE horse owners, and non-horse owners at the show and the stalls. 

And as a good sign for the future, I think the stick horse class may have been the largest class this year - and possibly the largest stick class at the show.  It was a great class and while endurance was not in evidence, the judges still could not choose between them and I think ALL the entries got awarded a first place!  They did work the class in both directions and some participants did not want to line up....

• Cheryl L likes this

#18 Heidi

Heidi

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

Really full classes this afternoon and yesterday. Really enjoyed watching!
  • M Huprich likes this

#19 M Huprich

M Huprich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

Some of the performance horse classes had a decent amount of entries, which was good to see.  Other performance classes got cancelled due to no entries.  

• Cheryl L likes this

#20 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

I've gotten to watch most of the halter classes and have pictures of most all the horses. When I get home I'll start sorting. This is my first time back in 7 years and it pretty pleasant. Not wide eyed, flipping halter horses. The ones that are being goofy are not acting afraid. Plus, keep in mind the weather has been weird. I've had a jacket on everyday until the afternoon. We had storms move in on Wednesday. I don't like the barking dogs in the arena, but what can you do?

I like the new programs. I'll try to get a picture and post, but well worth the $12.00.

The new way they are showing seems to be really easy on the horses and relaxing. They get to run in and show off, but then they have to cool it. So no trying to get them all hyped up while someone else in still in center ring.

Lots of good changes and the performance classes have had good numbers. I'll post more when I get back to Texas, but so far a good week!! Melissa

• Nadj Al Nur, Heidi, Windfall and 1 other like this

Melissa & Matt Raulerson
Jete' Arabians Home to:
Raja El Halimaar (El Halimaar x Mageenaa) 2001 Stallion
SCID Clear, LFS Clear, CA N/N

Hali Inasa (Abraxas Halimaar x Georgia Inasa) 2002 Mare
Zandai Ibn Zeidan (Zandai Abu Zeidan x MFA Tassideh) 2002 Gelding
Zandai Zavoniyah (Zandai Ibn Omar x Zandai Saouda) 2004 Mare CA N/N
Zandai Om Noor (Zandai Ibn Omar x Zandai Saouda) 2005 Mare CA N/N

Yara MM (Raja El Halimaar x Zandai Zavoniyah) 2012 Filly CA N/N (By Parentage)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users