#41 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:pedigrees, sport horse, music, movies

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

I know, you've been wondering what the colt & I have been doing.  Well, we've kept up intermittent tying with horse around him & not.  It's not unusual for me to leave him tied with nobody around & I'm off doing chores.  He's getting good at standing quietly.  We're also working on the minute points of haltering, standing and waiting while gaits are open & being careful about the use of his head.  Today he had some grass trash in his mane.  His mane was in knots around it.  I demanded initially and therefore he stood quietly tied with his head looking forward & not bring his nose around to investigate & mouth/explore everything which I thought was excellent for a 22 mo old colt.  It's been mucky with the recent rains, so I took alot of time cleaning his hooves putting some thrushbuster in some spots to prevent problems & using a hoof moisturizer.  He's standing quietly and he's standing square to the stall wall and not moving when I come to pick up a hoof.  I'm demanding that when I'm opening the gate he stand still/quietly, not trying to graze, not nosing around, just waiting for instructions.  He's getting better & better about that.  He's getting very quiet & pleasant starting to drop his nose down for the halter & keeping his head straight and relaxing.  So we've been refining his inter-human skills making him a delight to move around & be with.  I've got my FEI dressage riding client that helped me ground drive him last time coming this weekend, so may be Saturday we'll do some more.  Also got a dressage trainer coming in August to help me with ground working him.  My job in the mean time has got to be to get him to leave the other horses in hand and not be anxious.

JacqueB

#42 JacqueB

JacqueB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:pedigrees, sport horse, music, movies

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

Well, the fact of the matter is, I'm riding my new mare so much that I'm not taking time for working with my colt except he's still getting haltered 4 times a day and tied & feet done and groomed and expected to walked quietly & attentively into his stall for feeding and out to the pasture.  I'm very heat intolerant, so my riding is done by about 10 am and I'm trying to stay in out of the heat the rest of the day - I'm good at 33 degrees but fall out miserable when it gets near 80.  Maybe when that dressage trainer gets back in the neighborhood in August I'll have something to tell you.  He's still a really pleasure to work with and I've had comments from vets here to see other horses say "how pleasant" & "well behaved" & "good conformation" etc.  That's always nice to hear.  He'll be 2 on the 24th.  Every bit of 15 hands but looks very immature, so going to be probably 1" maybe even 2" taller.  So it might be August before I have anything to share.

• talus likes this
JacqueB

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users