23 replies to this topic

#1 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

DISCLAIMER:  DO NOT ANYBODY GET SHOOK UP!

Okay - first, I am told that the Registration Division of AHA is extremely slow this year on ALL paperwork, including foal registrations.

Second, this is not the time of year when people are into all the work, effort that it takes to complete foal registrations.  Those with stallions Could (note I said could) be at shows so don't get proper paperwork, breeders might be out riding their horses, in the hay field, lots of things they could be doing with horses AND family.

So jest to whet the appetite and a comparison to last year, 2013.

There are a total of 50 foals registered, 4 are Straight Egyptians.

52 foals registered for 2013 as of May 3, 2013
90 foals registered for 2013 as of May 31, 2013
169 foals registered for 2013 as of July 8, 2013 as shown in Datasource at 10 AM

Next report is not going to be done until into August, closer to September.

Let's not scream, hollar, and tell me how negative I am.  The facts are what the facts are.

Mathematically if one takes the days from May 31, 2013 to July 8, 2013, that is 5 weeks or going to use that figure.  Now reality wise, not sound I know.  Taking 5 weeks into the difference of 90 foals (May 31) to 170 foals (July 8 and yes it was 169 technically) is a difference of 80 foals divided by 5 weeks for 16 foals a week being registered.  JUST THEORETICALLY.

Today is the 11th of June so make it about 2 weeks -- no 3 days short but this is about -- so 16 x 2 weeks = 32 foals, drop and make 30 foals.  Then take the 90 foals figure of May 31, 2013 and add 30 foals (because remember it is June 11th and not May 31) would make about 120 foals for a like date last year, 2013 of June 11.   IOW calculation what a June 11, 2013 registration foal figure would most likely have been. 

Todays count of 50 vs 120 shows a drop of 58 1/3% less than a year ago. 

#2 AA Wish

AA Wish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Arabians, piano, my family and ancient religious texts......

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:22 AM

Wow!

Julee

"The only foundation of a free Constitution is pure Virtue, and if this cannot be inspried unto our People in a greater Measure, than they have it now, they may change their Rulers and the forms of Government, but they will not obtain a lasting liberty." John Adams

#3 Suellen Taylor

Suellen Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Dolls, Royal Doultons and Antique Costume Jewelry

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

While I hate to enter this conversation, I can tell you a LOT of people are very disgruntled with TPS and are simply not showing any of their horses anymore.  so why breed? When the BIG guns rely on REALLY BIG guns for sponsorship, then there is a serious problem, not in the least is that their horses win.

I have talked with a few people who went and showed, and co-incidently only barns 1 through 5 were open, none in the back around the office, as I am told..and these people quite simply will not be back..never to show, and perhaps to visit only..so there goes more revenue.

And let's not forget, none of the show stats are recorded anywhere but in a Times or World for one month, I forget which, because I simply do not care anymore.  It is truly sad, when such a glorious institution is circling the drain.JMHO!~

AND by the way, I am selling almost all of my horse books on ebay, tried to post link in classified..

TOP Of The Hill Arabians

Marshallville GA

Phone: 478-472-6141

Email: tophillarabs@windstream.net

The Gals:

Elegant Dahncer     Mahrdan x Kohlan 1995    Will stay with us for life!

Imdala El Jamaal         Dakharo x Imiella   2005    Bred to Marbeau Le Reve' (My last hurrah????)

The Guys:

Khalid Omar Khayal    GR Shadow x Khalia Spring 2005 (AKA Spunky Bruiser)  With us for life!

#4 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Interests:straight egyptian arabian horse breeder since 1967.
    researcher, author of 24 book puplications on arabian horses, the straight egyptian index and others,
    quarantine staton and manager okayed by florida depeartment of agriculture.

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

While I hate to enter this conversation, I can tell you a LOT of people are very disgruntled with TPS and are simply not showing any of their horses anymore.  so why breed? When the BIG guns rely on REALLY BIG guns for sponsorship, then there is a serious problem, not in the least is that their horses win.

I have talked with a few people who went and showed, and co-incidently only barns 1 through 5 were open, none in the back around the office, as I am told..and these people quite simply will not be back..never to show, and perhaps to visit only..so there goes more revenue.

And let's not forget, none of the show stats are recorded anywhere but in a Times or World for one month, I forget which, because I simply do not care anymore.  It is truly sad, when such a glorious institution is circling the drain.JMHO!~

AND by the way, I am selling almost all of my horse books on ebay, tried to post link in classified..

Thanks SuEllen and you are entitled to be upset. However, I dont see it this way. Right now I think we have two groups, one for halter and the other for halter and performance. I assure you the latter will win out, the desire of our young ones to own an Arab has not changed.

What we need to do is promote this, help them and get them in the saddle and show ring,or trails..Although the many  Sheikhs own many halter horses, they also have top performance horses (flat and endurance racing etc.

And the Arabs in general love racing more than a pretty face, I think

Cheer up, hang in there and take care

Hansi.

• Seglavi, VanAlma, WindCzar and 1 other like this
Hansi-Heck Melnyk
Serenity Arabian farms, Florida, USA

Posted Image

#5 AA Wish

AA Wish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Arabians, piano, my family and ancient religious texts......

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:25 AM

The current treads for buying horses is dismal....especially for arabians.  Here is Utah, when they respond to my local ads....once they find out the horse is an arab or 1/2 arab there is always a strong NO THANKS!

I can't help but believe that the arabian horses has almost been bred out of existance due to our making them the 'pretty horse' not the using horse.  Everyone around here wants something  they can barrell race, team pen, trail ride...etc.  and they don't believe the arabian horse can do it.  (Yes, I believe they can do those things  but convincing the general horse owning populous - that's a different matter.  They have come to think of arabians as silly, hot, slow and unable to perform.

• zeplinsmom likes this
Julee

"The only foundation of a free Constitution is pure Virtue, and if this cannot be inspried unto our People in a greater Measure, than they have it now, they may change their Rulers and the forms of Government, but they will not obtain a lasting liberty." John Adams

#6 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Interests:straight egyptian arabian horse breeder since 1967.
    researcher, author of 24 book puplications on arabian horses, the straight egyptian index and others,
    quarantine staton and manager okayed by florida depeartment of agriculture.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

The current treads for buying horses is dismal....especially for arabians.  Here is Utah, when they respond to my local ads....once they find out the horse is an arab or 1/2 arab there is always a strong NO THANKS!

I can't help but believe that the arabian horses has almost been bred out of existance due to our making them the 'pretty horse' not the using horse.  Everyone around here wants something  they can barrell race, team pen, trail ride...etc.  and they don't believe the arabian horse can do it.  (Yes, I believe they can do those things  but convincing the general horse owning populous - that's a different matter.  They have come to think of arabians as silly, hot, slow and unable to perform.

warned of this for many years.Some listened and did well.

You all can change the attitude of others, by showing your horse in open or all arab classes in performance divisions, any of them.

You can also enter in to trail or endurance classes and show what your arab can do. Just read Paul's post again.

I was always taught, if you dont like something, so something about it.

the TPS members would be the greatest help by forcing the Society to promote performance, at the EE and all year long in other shows.

Start endurance racing at the EE again and  have studs 4years old an up perform under saddle before goinhg into a halter class. Same for mares,

trather than lead like a  sheap to the slaughterhouse..

The PS was NOT created for the rich and famous, but for the preservation of the horse regardless of ownership or breeder..

Think about our past breeders, Babson,Prtzlaff,Gleannloch, LOeber,and others including us, who promoted the arab horse in the proper way, most successfully. And these people used theor horses under saddle or infront of a waggon. Their success created many newcomers to the breed who also became successful by end large.

think about it and give it a good try

Hansi

• Willowbreeze and WindCzar like this
Hansi-Heck Melnyk
Serenity Arabian farms, Florida, USA

Posted Image

#7 Willowbreeze

Willowbreeze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

POPULAR

I do not think the drop in registrations for a couple of years is a necessarily a bad thing.  We had a  glut on the market, more being produced than there were buyers for.. and lower prices because of the excess of horses to demand.   A few years of lower production is just what we need in my opinion to get things back in balance.  In the mean time its  up to US ( the owners & breeders) to get out there and show the public that our horses can do anything undersaddle that other breeds do.

We are in South Texas, King Ranch quarter horse central,  yet our local pony club  has started going Arab, the kids as they graduate from the ponies are choosing arabians or even trading out paints and quarters for arabian  mounts.   Why?   because they saw the local arabian breeders out and about in the community going on trail rides, and being super competitive in the local open shows as well as the breed shows.  We, and a few other local arabian breeders were beating the stock breeds or least making them work hard for it  at the local events and the pony club members SAW that the arabians could do what they wanted to do and one by one we have seen more of the kids switch to arabians,  And now those first kids to get arabs are being competitive and winning on those arabs, and  as they started to move up the placings the other kids have also sought arabians out.  True, its not happening in the majority of the country but its a start.  Show them, they can be competitive and do the fun things with an arabian and demand will follow.

The lower prices have also helped get these kids  on to arabians as well,,  their parents are able to afford a much higher caliber arabian for less  than they can a competitive stock breed horse.    We sold a really nice multi discipline little gelding to one of the pony club members last year, he is leading  the high point standings this year with his little pony clubber.  The other kids and parents have noticed, and now have to find mounts to beat our little Gifford.  This past weekend we loaned a couple of geldings to some pony club kids that did not have horses  of their own to show.  It was  a pain in the  rear  for me to go to the  open show, as I had just got back from regionals and was  exhausted  and really did not feel like pulling two geldings out of the pasture, clipping and bathing and driving them to a show, but it was worth it in the end.  The kids that showed them  had a blast,  and it was noticed, the judge even asked me in the lead line class if  these were purebred arabians that we were using and  how unusual it was to see them  trusted with small kids in the lead line and the walk trot classes,  she was impressed.   She had just judged them in the halter classes with first me showing them full of snort and blow in open and then the inexperienced little kids going right back in with them in sr and pee wee youth halter classes and the horses automatically toning it down for kids but still showing well for them despite the kids not having a clue on how to show an arabian halter horse and trying to set them like stock halter, the geldings basically reset  their feet and showed themselves when the judge approached them.  The youngest boy, won his halter class with our gelding , the older boy was second in his , and  the youngest went reserve champion of show behind a nice appy.  They went in lead line and walk trot, egg and spoon and costume class too.   The boys'  mom is now looking for a nice all around arabian gelding for the kids  to start showing both locally and in class A.    We told her she or any of the other club members are welcome to borrow one of our arabs for future shows if they  need to. 

The PS is never going to be able to influence people on that level and the AHA can  not either. Its up to the arabian community to do it.  YOU have to do your part to build the market and  demonstrate the ability of your horses, not sit around and expect someone to do it for you.  AHA is a registry, while they can do some out reach, they are limited - after all seeing is believing and AHA owns no horses to demo with.  PS is a club, and they also do not own horses to demo with and their one show a year is too far away and  is targeted to a  very small group of arabian owners with select heritage not for those unfamiliar with the breed  to begin with. 

As Hansi said above, If you don't like something, do something about it.

JMO   sandy

( I would post some pics of the kids at the show but for some reason I can not upload any pics to this forum.)  But you can seem them on my facebook page.

• larapintavian, Nadj Al Nur, Windfall and 11 others like this
Sandy
Willow Breeze Arabians
Visit My Website

#8 mbtulimaa

mbtulimaa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

Well said and Good Job Sandy!!!!

#9 Nadj Al Nur

Nadj Al Nur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts
  • Interests:Horses
    Art (painting and teaching)
    Writing

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

Great post Sandy. Agree on all points.

Posted Image

#10 Paul Huzevka

Paul Huzevka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Horses

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:35 PM

Excellent post Sandy, I agree 100% on all points

FA Maronique* (Ramses Maris x Kastina) Mare
REA Sheeza (Sir Alidaar x Sheezadal) Mare
LM Dorian Starofegypt (Nihal GRSB x Dorian Isis) Mare
Aqiba (Al Aassifah x LM Dorian Starofegypt) Mare

#11 egyptiandream

egyptiandream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:02 AM

I may be missing the point of this post. But if I understand correctly, the point is that there have been less than a hundred foals registered this year. If that is the case I don't feel so bad about my stallion only breeding one outside mare this year. With numbers like that he must be a rock star.

GO RICKY!!!!lol   :D

• jerry and jmarcan like this

#12 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:07 AM

I may be missing the point of this post. But if I understand correctly, the point is that there have been less than a hundred foals registered this year. If that is the case I don't feel so bad about my stallion only breeding one outside mare this year. With numbers like that he must be a rock star.

GO RICKY!!!!lol   :D

There are a total of 50 foals registered, 4 are Straight Egyptians.

#13 Ray

Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses. Breeding Straight Egyptian, Classical Spanish and Golden Cross.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:42 AM

It's great news.  I haven't bred a mare in 3 years and my mares are doing nothing but getting older.  I'm sick and tired of seeing all the "rescues" and give-away horses out there.  The general public has a very low bar set on the worth of horses these days - expectations are low and most don't know bloodlines from their back pocket.    

• Heidi, Willowbreeze, Windfall and 5 others like this

#14 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

August 22, 2014: Some will leap in joy and others will express sorrow and frustration.
2014 foals born in the year 2014 and registered in the year 2014 with stats taken on August 22, 2014: 241 foals registered

Straight Egyptians: 35 foals

Comparison only, from my records, (did not do any August stats 2013)  August 22, 2012 there were 386 foals registered for and born in 2012 up to the date of August 22, 2012.

241 compared to 386 and over a two year period would be a 37.564767 % drop.

October stats will be the most revealing for registration figures, comparing to 2012 and 2013.

#15 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

I am also of the opinion that this is a good thing. I am concerned that, in the small number of horses being bred, most are inbred to a handful of popular stallions, which isn't doing much for our diversity. However, I do see pockets of horses being bred: Crabbet, Egyptian, Al-Khamsa, American Foundation etc that are producing a foal here and there that is still the Arabian that I grew to love as a kid.

Let's let our numbers stay down for a few years. Has anyone ever priced a Fresian? There's a reason they are so expensive and it isn't because they are super easy to work with. JMO

• Willowbreeze and zeplinsmom like this

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#16 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

Report for Oct 22 2014 being prepared.  If there is no interest shown here, will be posted with Romney.

Preface:

35,000 to 350

UPDATE – all rights reserved

Back in the 80's there were over 35,000 Arabian purebred foals registered in one year. On September 23, 2014, there were 356 purebred Arabian foals of 2014 registered for this year. Almost thirty years later a bleak future for the breed. So here goes the 2014 October report.

October selected because it has been a good indicator for the birth year. School has started, holiday months of November and December coming, snow birds getting ready to fly, etc. Another reason selected was for use by those attending National Convention in November.

Please, don't anyone start in with “I just did 2012, 2013, blah, blah, blah.” My statistics were taken on that day, October 22 in 2013 and in 2012 and today, 2014. That is why my figures are comparative and realistic. Statistics taken on the same day for three consecutive years.

Mark Twain quote: "There are three kinds of lies:
lies, damned lies, and statistics."

#17 Romar Arabians

Romar Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:31 PM

Report for Oct 22 2014 being prepared.  If there is no interest shown here, will be posted with Romney.

Preface:

35,000 to 350

UPDATE – all rights reserved

Back in the 80's there were over 35,000 Arabian purebred foals registered in one year. On September 23, 2014, there were 356 purebred Arabian foals of 2014 registered for this year. Almost thirty years later a bleak future for the breed. So here goes the 2014 October report.

October selected because it has been a good indicator for the birth year. School has started, holiday months of November and December coming, snow birds getting ready to fly, etc. Another reason selected was for use by those attending National Convention in November.

Please, don't anyone start in with “I just did 2012, 2013, blah, blah, blah.” My statistics were taken on that day, October 22 in 2013 and in 2012 and today, 2014. That is why my figures are comparative and realistic. Statistics taken on the same day for three consecutive years.

Mark Twain quote: "There are three kinds of lies:
lies, damned lies, and statistics."

I'm not sure if you're asking for input/responses before you post more, or if what you have presented is the bottom line and that's all that needs to be said. Personally, I like the way the numbers are coming out. I haven't sold a horse in 2 years, got 25 on the farm. I did just have a client come to me and tell me if I had another one like the one she bought a few years back she'd buy it right now. I still have the sire and dam but I'm not breeding until the market turns for the better, and I may be dead by then. But certainly, if you have more to add to the stats, I'd like to hear about it.

• Willowbreeze likes this
RB Anera Ali (Ruminaja Ali x Rosali CAHR) last born SE Ruminaja Ali daughter in foal to REA El Kaream for 2012
RB Ali Makeen (EAI Silvereen x RB Anera Ali) 2009 SE gray colt
RB Kenzanne (Kenz Noor x RB Anera Ali) 2007 SE bay filly
RB Baaraz (Imperial Baarez x Rosali CAHR) 2004 SE bay stallion
RB True Ali (True Colours x Rosali CAHR) 2002 SE stallion
RB Al Shama (True Colours x Rosali CAHR) 2003 SE mare
RB Malika Mareekha (Mohummed Sadden x RB Ali Mareekha(xRuminaja Ali)) 2000 SE mare

http://www.romararabians.com

#18 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:22 AM

Report will be posted October 22 or 23rd, but most likely 22nd.  Complete report will be here at that time.  Thank you for your input.

#19 Lysette

Lysette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:11 AM

Can't say I'm looking forward to seeing the numbers, but I still think that it is important to know what is happening.

We need to see more "replacement" owners and riders, not just replacement foals.

• Romar Arabians and WindCzar like this
Home of FDA Nile Bluemoon (Akid Kasim X *Nafaa)

#20 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:56 PM

I see several new riders using Arabians for dressage (open and Arabian shows) and for the Class A shows, however at EVERY show I was at over the past few years (except the Egyptian Event, of course) my horses were the ONLY SE/AK horses at the event.  There are some with high percentage Egyptian breeding, a few that are Egyptian Sired, but . . . for the most part . . . the SE's around me are NOT shown.  I seem to be the only one.  :(

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

All horses at Aimbri Arabians are SE and AK, and all mares and stallions are LFS, CA and SCID Tested Clear!
Colt:

Aimbri El Kaream (REA El Kaream+ x Tal Imdal by Imperial Imdal+) 2013 grey colt LFS, CA and SCID tested Clear.

Mares:

Tammens Nadira (Tammen x ADH Nadafe by Shukri) 1995 Bay  
Aimbri Ansarah (Aseffa Moniet by Rasmoniet RSI x Zahara Basharah by Ramses Maris) 1996 Bay
MB Faheena (Safeen x AK Bint Fatiha by Moniet El Sharaf) 1997 Ches. 
Aimbri Amira Matrabb (El Matrabb x Dorian Mon Amie by AK Na Moniet) 1998 Ches/Flax 
Aimbri Zaafinah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2004 Ches/Flaxen 
Aimbri Amurra (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2005 Ches. SOLD!
Aimbri Fawzia (Moon Sheine x Tammens Nadira) 2005 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Zakirah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2006 Bay SOLD!
Aimbri Amira Alia (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2006 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Bint Bint Matrabb (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb) 2011 Ches.

2 SE/AK Sweepstakes Nominated Chestnut Geldings by El Matrabb  SOLD! $
Aimbri Emir Hilal (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb by El Matrabb) 2007 Ches. $

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users