48 replies to this topic

#1 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

Hansi, how about you? How about we go anywhere we want, circle, come back, go off at an angle, whatever

Let's start back when Arabians first coming into general horse world - Kellogg, Van Vleet, Al-Marah from Illinois to Maryland to Tucson, Circle 2 Betts, and go up to when Doug Marshall went after all those Straight Egyptians - you showing early western - quarantine -

You and I have seen the SE come into the US, build in strength, numbers, and now, all in one lifetime seeing it shrink, most going overseas.

Wanna do it? 

• talus likes this

#2 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Interests:straight egyptian arabian horse breeder since 1967.
    researcher, author of 24 book puplications on arabian horses, the straight egyptian index and others,
    quarantine staton and manager okayed by florida depeartment of agriculture.

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:09 PM

dear Liz

Already For about 2 years I advertise in the Al Khamsat- under

DOWN MEMORY LANE"  each  time I presented a photo of a Serenity Horse.

However, If you like to start with the memory lane, I will join. Had 56 of the imports going through my quarantine for several months

so can talk about it

Hansi

Hansi-Heck Melnyk
Serenity Arabian farms, Florida, USA

Posted Image

#3 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:41 PM

Was thinking more about the stories that go with - remember the fit in the Arabian people when Tom McNair took that 2 year old son of Surf? and won the US National Western Championship?  The furor over a two year old being ridden.

What was the breeding on the horse where I had the photo of you showing Western? You remember? 

And how about the times you showed Khofo open?  Jumping wasn't it? 

#4 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
    researcher, author of 24 book puplications on arabian horses, the straight egyptian index and others,

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:45 PM

No, not jumping, showed Khofo open in other under saddle classes and of course halter.

Don't know 2yearldson was competing at age 2.Never heard of it.  Tom rode Surf ++(1955) to 1961 US National Western Championships. R Callenberger owned him in 1969. Surf died 01/13/1979  that was a great little horse, about 14,2 hands high. Tom loved him and was sad when he was sold at the time Marshalls sold all their domestics in 1969.

Hansi

Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#5 AA Wish

AA Wish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Arabians, piano, my family and ancient religious texts......

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:55 PM

enjoying....keeping writing

Julee

"The only foundation of a free Constitution is pure Virtue, and if this cannot be inspried unto our People in a greater Measure, than they have it now, they may change their Rulers and the forms of Government, but they will not obtain a lasting liberty." John Adams

#6 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

No, not jumping, showed Khofo open in other under saddle classes and of course halter.

Don't know 2yearldson was competing at age 2.Never heard of it.  Tom rode Surf ++(1955) to 1961 US National Western Championships. R Callenberger owned him in 1969. Surf died 01/13/1979  that was a great little horse, about 14,2 hands high. Tom loved him and was sad when he was sold at the time Marshalls sold all their domestics in 1969.

Hansi

Thought you were said to have jumped Khofo open at Devon Big Open show, 4 feet placing with big warmbloods?  Was that a fancy tale?  What classes did you ride? 

Yeah remember that 2 yr old, probably almost 3 time of US Nationals then cause they were held late in the year.  Inside front page AHW

Oh I know - saw old mare, Caravan, etc breeding up in northern Washington about to foal to Morafic; Thorndike's.  He had The Egyptian Prince and The Egyptian Sultan (related) as yearlings - he and his wife took out both colts and stood them up for us.  Then way out in a side pen all by himself was this deep dark blood bay - Sureyn breeding.  That man had been a guide for packers, etc, loved outdoors but his family was the Apple Kings of WA.  When his father died family forced him to give it up; shame, that man knew what a good horse needed to be.  He only had 3? mares in pasture

#7 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:02 PM

Hansi

Remember tale told of how there was a horse show, and this grey horse got loose and strolled over to the arena fence, sltood quietly watching.  Announcer said over mike for whoever owned that grey gelding to come get him.  Grey gelding was Surf. 

#8 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

No its not true. Khofo never competed in deven in  Jumping, but cleared 5feet combinations at home and under witness.

the horse which did compete at Deven aganst warmbloods was Shalom MIshkow*// (1977) a gorgeous grey by Serenity Osiris x

Echo Princess (1971) an engl. T.B. Mishko won numerous natl and res championships in dressage. He was a 16,2 hand Anglo.

He exhibited also at the SE, but then they eliminated those classes, I guess they had a reason. MIshkoh died 1/15/2004.

He was deeply loved by the Wagschals.

take care

Hansi

• AA Wish likes this
Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#9 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:27 PM

So Khofo WAS trained to jump - cleared 5 foot combinations? - wish you had photos of him doing that!!

Shalom Mishkow competed at Deven, dressage? He was Canadian bred, wasn't he?

Were you at US Nationals the year Ansata Ibn Sudan was National Champion Stallion?  Did you ever see him in person? 

When Sonbolah was US Nationals Champion mare was she also under saddle at the time? You riding?

• AA Wish likes this

#10 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:40 PM

Liz

Serenity Sobolah  (1967) was US National champion mare in 1971, same as Ansata  Ibn Sudan (1965.

He was a slight and small horse, sweet disposition. I rode Serenity Sonbolah through and everything at my 160acre  in Queensville,On.,Canaa which was hilly too. have cartons of photos and one of these days will sort them out.

Yes Shalom MIshkoh+// (1977) was Canadian bred. I owned 50 percent originally and then gave my share to Les Wagschal.

Hansi

Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#11 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:17 PM

Hansi, there are people who don't know jumping.  Let's go some more with Khofo trained to jump, even if at your farm.  In and outs? Spreads? Tell about training him, people just might like to hear, what was his disposition like, why could he jump so well, 5 feet is unheard of with Arabians, conformation, etc? 

• talus likes this

#12 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:49 PM

No Liz, Not unheard of what Khofo jumped, Serenity Osiris did it too and more.

I Trained all my horses in dressage, some up to highest level and of course that facilitated them for other events, such as flat or endurance racing or whatever.

Wilma De Boer;s success with her Serenity horses are because also she trains up to certain levels and has one right now she wants to bring up to the Grand Prix- that's Serenity Shahmir, a very special stallion. Our success at halter was also because of the dressage training, which really is a gymnastic. KHOFO was trained up to intermediary. All horses I trained also had to go over easy short jumps, like 4 feet. Of course their great athletic abilities are bred in. I guess genes don't lie, eh

It also gave most of them a long life.

Hansi

• talus likes this
Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#13 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:18 PM

Give readers more Hansi on what type of "easy short jumps" used.  You know that today everything in phony set-up horse show classes (Arabians) states No Jump required - look at how the riders sit, reins, etc couldn't get over an 18 inch jump/However the "shew" people say their classes are for them/not required to be practical, ie hunt seat - okay

if that is what it is and acknowledged, sobeit

For 95% other people they want/demand practicality so some education. How long did it take to train Khofo? Some idea of daily routine? Same for Serenity Osiris, how long to train?

#14 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:51 PM

Li

this training has to be done hand on works.It starts off with proper longing. chasing a horse in anything will never get good results/

It did not take long, 6 months, to train Khofo and Osiris. They both were natural jumpers and loved it.

Al Khamsa is having their annual meeting in Ocala, and if we can arrange it, I could give a brief clinic how to do what. correctly. Its not that hard. Those interested let me know.  Khofo1@wildblue.net

Serenity IbnKhofo (1977) was grand prix dressage going at age 7, Same year entered flat racing and was never defeated.

All in proper training is NATURAL and does NOT take an Einstein to learn or do. I never liked the nowadays training books, and in my opinion are so far off. Those who want to learn the true basisc, buy "Mueseler".

the better horse;s training, longer lifespan and good health. Serenity Ibn Khofo died at age 32 and his maternal brother Serenity Mamlouk at age 33. BOth accomplished flat racers too. Most of all one learns to rate one's horse, so importand for the tevis cup or other long distance events. That's why I am forever pushing to have endurance race back at the EE, where our people can test their horses. And this is NOT up who won, but owners learn about their horse more. Remember in everything there can on ly be one first place winner. Often those who did not win might have had a bad day and do better next time adround

Everything in life is STRATEGY"!!!!

Han si

• Jill Erisman and talus like this
Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#15 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

"Al Khamsa is having their annual meeting in Ocala"  When? Riders, those interested could attend probably from within Florida - maybe someone could write up a summary or snyposis of your talk. 

Back to Memory Lane - Do you remember when Judith Forbis was still considered one of "us" with farm in Oklahoma?  I remember Minnesota man hauling his best mare down to be bred to A Ibn Halima.  Told me people demanded to see the stallion cover the mare and Judy or someone had to oblige.  He got a fantastic bay colt from 2 greys - when they cut down if I had known the colt sold on payment terms he would have been living with me.  Halim Sahib. 

Mayo in Oklahomal thru years quite a bit of discussion but what about Blantons? Ever see their chestnuts? 

And you have never said, what was the breeding on your Western Horse you showed? 

#16 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:00 PM

Here's the link to the Al-Khamsa Convention.

http://alkhamsa.org/...nual-convention

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#17 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

Still after the topic of the breeding on that western horse Hansi rode in shows in her youth.  How many of you know that at one time she had around 150 head, including many related, not Straight Egyptians.

Going another direction - anyone on here ever visit Van Vleet out of Denver?  I did. Saw Rifage and his son.  Rifage by then had just gone impotent, very aged stallion. The old type, he was strong Egyptian. 

Hansi

Did you ever see El Hilal at any of the Egyptian Events?  Nabiel?  His full brother Sugaa? Compare the two?

#18 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:55 PM

Sugaa was a super athlete, so was Nabiel. Was not a good fan of El Hilal, did not like his hocks.  I guess neither did Sh. Varian, when she returned him to Gleannloch, after she bought him as a yearling. Ron Palelek,Wash. then owned him and I guess he had some good offspring. Gleannloch sold his imported dam Bint Nefisaa (1959). Never saw this horse under saddle

But I saw Sugaa and Nabiel, excellent stallions.

I guess we all have our likes and dislikes, eh

Hansi

• talus likes this
Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#19 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:13 PM

Sheila Varian had a colt in the barn when I visited her place winter of 1969 out of a Bay Abi daughter out of El Hilal. She wanted more stretch, lots more stretch, and height was my understanding - years ago folks - and of course El Hilal would not give that on Bay.  Sheila sold El Hilal to a group headed by Bob Thorndike, that apple king in Washington up by Oroville.(sp?) - Sheila never returned him Hansi.  He did stand, was my understanding, one season?? down with Stokkes but then went back north.  Next heard of him El Hilal was owned by some other man who sent him to Palalek for training - and Palalek took El Hilal for the training bill.  

He crossed very well on TheEgyptianPrince daughters - he went from Thorndike's down to Stokkes who stood him for years, owned by a foursome. TEP was broke to both ride and drive.  Few years heard from the man who broke and rode him.  

El Hilal had a strong hip, not talking croup, but strong hip.  His legs were not his strongest points.  

Saw Sugaa when he was with Percy up in Minnesota.  Had I had the trailer with me would have taken that gorgeous colt (son) of his out of Phaedra, mare sold for fortune to Gaineys.  Nabiel saw couple of times out at Algadones (sp?) out of Albuquerque.  Sugaa had by far the better hip but not the head.  Nabiel had the head and crossed very well back into his bottom line.  Course that is my opinion  

#20 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:14 PM

Nobody else?  How about those who were in Utah? Nevada?  The one time an Egyptian show was hold there? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users