• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Interests:straight egyptian arabian horse breeder since 1967.
    researcher, author of 24 book puplications on arabian horses, the straight egyptian index and others,
    quarantine staton and manager okayed by florida depeartment of agriculture.

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:11 PM

thanks Liz for the correction. with all other statements you are correct.

Hansi

Hansi-Heck Melnyk
Serenity Arabian farms, Florida, USA

Posted Image

#22 AA Wish

AA Wish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Arabians, piano, my family and ancient religious texts......

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:47 AM

I'm listening....have nothing to contribute since I started my farm in 2000.

I did grow up on a little 1/2 Arabian mare.  Oh what a joy she was!  We did everything.  Mountains, pole bending, barrel racing.

I owned a 1/2 polish 1/2 crabbet mare while we were stationed at HAFB.  I had to sell her when we moved.  I have always loved Arabians and probably always will.

So keep typing....someone is reading!

Julee

"The only foundation of a free Constitution is pure Virtue, and if this cannot be inspried unto our People in a greater Measure, than they have it now, they may change their Rulers and the forms of Government, but they will not obtain a lasting liberty." John Adams

#23 Debs

Debs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:09 AM

I'm reading too!
I have only one Arabian, my 2nd, absolutely love them breed.
Find it fascinating reading about individuals, present and past. Of course always better with photos :) try as I might I can't post any!

#24 MARSHALL NZ

MARSHALL NZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:‎"An inborn love of the horse is instinctive, quite unreasoning, and one cannot recall any beginning of what seems to have always been there, together with a craving for perfection in the object of interest." - Lady Anne Blunt-

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:58 AM

How great to read... I was 16 years old when an American couple visited "Holly Farm" here in New Zealand. Bob and Joanne Thorndike... we became engrossed in their stories and experiences... before they left they suggested I come to their farm and help them in their apple orchard, play with their horses and who knows what opportunities would come my way...

I was there in no time and I may have helped on the orchard for a couple of days but the Thorndike's took me to Vantage Point Farm and there I was offered the chance to work with Ron and Joyce Palalek... I worked with El Hilal and his progeny over six months of bliss, so many wonderful mares came to be bred and I can never thank or show my appreciation enough for my wonderful time... I met the Middleton's and traveled their MFA Mareekh Amir to the Egyptian Event etc... no doubt Thorndike's, Middleton's and Palalek's knew a thing or two and the influence of horses like The Egyptian Prince and El Hilal was instrumental and influential beyond just good luck and a couple of good horses..

• Windfall and M Huprich like this
David B. Marshall

"Holly Farm", Harmans Road, Leeston 7682, Canterbury , New Zealand.

Email me My link www.hollyfarmnz.com

#25 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
    researcher, author of 24 book puplications on arabian horses, the straight egyptian index and others,

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:53 AM

Davis, this sounds so good. Yes, one you own an arab, you cant get away from them

Take care

Hansi

• MARSHALL NZ likes this
Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#26 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:32 AM

Well back in the 1960's the Egyptians were coming on strong - Hansi's big quarantine farm, Marshal sending Tom & Rhita McNair to Egypt - and A. Ibn Halima.  He crossed well on many old type Crabbet horses.  Partlow in Kansas crossed to him and believe in later years to Tuhotmos?? could be wrong - one of Partlow's colts, bay, came to western North Dakota, one of those first Egyptian related, the people had 2 or 3 young mares, showed him themselves.

A sorta related Egyptian was Fadjur and boy did he reproduce himself.  In Montana a rancher had a lovely colt by the Fadjur son up in Canada. Didn't live too long and no one knew why.  Quite a story there on that rancher out of Plentywood.  He ran Arabians but before had grade horses, had a pinto, not too pretty to look at but did have Arabian blood, at least 1/2. Anyway comes spring, and up there they get S N O W, the melt brings the creek running which normally one drives right on thru not even thinking this is creek bed, but someone was sick at the ranch.  Family ranch. The only other way out is thru their fields including alfalfa and everyone knew a tractor wouldn't get 100 feet.  So much for walking too.  So being younger of the brothers he takes the paint and says will ride out to neighbors and get their truck.  Okay.  Goes out.  About whatever, 1/2 hour here comes Paint, no rider.  Out the ranch house they pour.  Nope, no way catching Mr. Paint.  Reins dragging takes off, stops to see if they following. Takes off again, they are following as fast as their truck can go and by then Paint is flying.  Takes them straight to the body, somehow both horse & rider got out of creek, but that was all.  And he was alive.

True story.  Another true story, two young brothers went out at a ranch for kids camp in such a flood; that young boy drowned. 

Montana was going into more Polish and ND was still waking up to obtaining purebreds.  Many went to Walter Burkle, Verona, ND who had Flare, Bamby, Bu-Zahr, etc.

Washington was waking up obtaining the SE/s  Still into the 1990's there was an active club on the West Coast of around 100 members.  Sadly by early 2000's most were gone. 

#27 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:14 PM

Hansi, your turn now. 

#28 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:59 PM

Feel like I am talking to myself.

Remembers years ago, 1989 or 1991 or ? When James Kline threw the neat, neat lunch at Nationals for the unveiling of the portrait of Nazeer painted by Barbara Lewis?  He invited all, didn't ask any questions, wasn't snooty, just down to earth.  Barbara Lewis was very nervous, hoping it was well received, and her painting was. And the luncheon. 

Those days TPS was more down to earth. Ansata Arabians had their area and the popcorn machine.  Had lots of popcorn munching along with their man. And lots of talking about this one, that one.  How about any of you?  Nobody left from the 90's?

And then discussion with Stan Keiter asking why they had left the Straight Egyptian breeding.  His very candid answer was they could get Top Ten Nationals but never National Champion.  In those days that meant a lot! They did make that goal but he wasn't an SE.  They bred some nice ones.  

And of course the 70's/80's with Ron &Joyce Palalek, Vantage Point Farms when they came down into Salem, Oregon and would clean up on all the classes.  It was in the later 70's that the breed began to move towards this long neck, weiner-type body over basic solid good conformation.  And during this time that the shows began to become more oriented to what trainers demand, wanted in classes and to He** with classes that portrayed the Breed as all-around horses.  Took out jumping, took too much time to set up; took out trial, took too much time to set up obstacles and so on.   

#29 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

Liz

you are mostly right. It was Gleannloch who put the SEs on the International Map.  Also Dr atkins, Pritzlaf, and of course Babson

as well as others. their horses showed well in performance. There are many Legion of Merit and some sureme legion of merit champions, but non nowadays. This is so sad.

I guess a lot had to do with owners not being riders and under saddle trainers hard to find. They never know how much they are missing, eh.

Good times can come back, if we all try. Our youngsters should also be introduced to SEs not just Qhorses and the likes.

But were do we all start?

Hansi

Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#30 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:00 PM

Liz

you are mostly right. It was Gleannloch who put the SEs on the International Map.  Also Dr atkins, Pritzlaf, and of course Babson

as well as others. their horses showed well in performance. There are many Legion of Merit and some sureme legion of merit champions, but non nowadays. This is so sad.

I guess a lot had to do with owners not being riders and under saddle trainers hard to find. They never know how much they are missing, eh.

Good times can come back, if we all try. Our youngsters should also be introduced to SEs not just Qhorses and the likes.

But were do we all start?

Hansi

Well party poop'er - don't know.  Believe it is a case of starting all over again.

Babson took the one mare out on endurance rides, throwing her against any and all.  Fadl was jumped, driving in harness, ridden.  Fadl Dan has always been one I admired.  But when John Vogt could no longer run the barn, horses were all sold.  His wife showed the Gleannoch gelding many many times in dressage at the Event.

Back in 1991 at Albuquerque stumbled upon Orashan being prepped for the ring - Finals Stallion Halter.  Thought I should leave but the Imperial groom, a black man, made it very clear no reason for me to not stay; nice to have someone to talk with.  Orashan just slept away. Time to slowly stroll down the lane towards Tingley thought should step back as we approached the arena.  Out of the shadows/darkness came Eileen.  The 3 of them met and Orashan actually preemed to her.  Got everything straight? All dressed correct? Eileen looking up and down, nods head, tells groom okay, About that time comes the Call.

Up flags the tail, arches the neck, and he is on the muscle.  Ready? Well, let's go.

Stood there thinking That's Show! Not what was becoming and has become.  And that was the year Padron Psyche went Res and Palalek went National Champion.

• Debs likes this

#31 AA Wish

AA Wish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Arabians, piano, my family and ancient religious texts......

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:18 AM

Orashan is my JJ's 2nd grandsire.  Fun to hear about him.

Julee

"The only foundation of a free Constitution is pure Virtue, and if this cannot be inspried unto our People in a greater Measure, than they have it now, they may change their Rulers and the forms of Government, but they will not obtain a lasting liberty." John Adams

#32 elsbet

elsbet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:27 PM

Orashan was one of my favorites, that's for sure.  Seriously though, he was everyone's favorite.  You couldn't help but like him.  I was there when they brought him and Madheen from Germany.  What amazing horses.....  Orashan developed this game where he would stick his tongue out and practically just BEG for you to pull it.  And when you did?  The sparkle in his eye just danced.  He'd just stick it back out again.  And wait.  He was so smart, and very kind to people. 

I got to see him later on, before he shipped to Australia, and as much as it broke my heart, he still carried himself like the king he was and treated my niece and me with curiosity and kindness.  It was the last time I saw him.

Beth Crouthamel
Carroll County, MD

PVA Jabbaar, 1989 SE Stallion, Shah El Sun x Imperial Sonboleen

#33 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Interests:Egyptian & Fadjur bloodlines, pedigree research, dressage, trail riding, Horse Council, 4-H, horses in education, halter and performance

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:20 PM

Beth--I will tell the story again of seeing Shah El Sun. I was in northern Nevada for a national 4-H convention and we were visiting some horse farms. There was a place with Arabians of different lines, and one young filly I liked. I said I admired Egyptians, and they told me they had a young colt of maybe some Egyptian lines. So they brought out this quite splendid youngster, so different and so correct compared to the others we had been shown. All the other people were watching me watching the colt, and then really started looking at him too. That was cool. The year was maybe 1987? I had heard of his sire, and had always wanted to have seen him too (in Colorado I think).
  • elsbet likes this

#34 elsbet

elsbet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:24 PM

Sadly, I never got to see Shah El Sun, but I had been in touch with Lisa a few years before he died.  We talked a lot about him, and she was beside herself when he died.  My Jabbaar is by Shah El Sun, as you can see, but I didn't choose him because who his sire is - I chose him because his maternal granddam is Serenity Sonbolah and his grandsire is Moniet El Nafis.  See, I answered an ad by Steve Dady about two colts for sale.  The other colt was a tall good looking gray by Ruminaja Ali.  He was probably a better put together individual, but I chose Jabbaar because I felt closer to him by who his grandparents are.  Nafis was one cool cat, and Bolah was the queen.

26 years later, we're still hanging out together.  :)  Keeps me connected to those days when I really was, and wish I still could be, more involved with those great horses.

• Debs and talus like this
Beth Crouthamel
Carroll County, MD

PVA Jabbaar, 1989 SE Stallion, Shah El Sun x Imperial Sonboleen

#35 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:05 PM

Goof morning everybody

I feel some of the good old times are coming back. "Glamor" breeders are very few left. Newcomers want to ride and THEN breed from the horse. I still try to persuade anybody to ride, or take lessons to learn. and be part of this great Arabian Horse International family.

All take care

Hansi

• elsbet likes this
Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#36 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

Flicks were in Florida, not widely known but long supporters of the SE; Kline was known and strong supporter; Doug Marshall, Tom McNair, Gleannloch farms, showed all over the US with the SE in performance !, advertised monthly in Western Horseman, opened eyes of horsemen and woman to potential of using SE blood, Pritzlaff well known but where are his horses now?, Ravenwood Ranch in Montana continues to breed however age a factor there, Imperial gone, Ansata gone, Babson farm gone with few left featuring only their breeding; the West Coast had an Egyptian organization back in 2001 but by 2004 the list of over 100 had shrunk to a handful.  Farm after farm is gone, across the US, Nirvana Farms with their newsletters, Antares Arabians with their forum which stopped years ago, those who were part of the Imperial network, many of those long with the breed such as Zee Ranch, Kimberly Nelson (when have Failure to Connect assume website no longer functioning), many others with age down to almost zero mares, almost zero foals. 

Marguerite Illing still breeding; down to 3 young mares and her retirees plus one mare - from her website for the trolls

Websites are gone (mine too) or not kept updated, all over. Arabians LTD still in operation, going strongly I am told.

Few websites known for those who are supposed to be the "replacements."  As contact fades, non-existent the group with the SE will become less connected.  Perhaps Khamsat will assist in this area. 

If the old times come back in any form most likely will be back to riding. Do not foresee much breeding.  Time will tell.  The SE blood has always been a good incorporater with other bloodlines for type, pretty, beauty but with it many lines carry too much fire for many riding. As always, just my opinion

#37 hansi

hansi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:34 PM

Hi Liz

well, people don't live forever, so the farms gone is because their owners in most cases died.

The SES/Asils are more and more entering endurance races here and abroad.

I pushed so hard to have the PS have endurance racing again so that people can evaluate their horses. Its not who wins, but how the horse comes through. I guess I talked to the wall.

Al Khamsa has a superb issue -Feb/2015- absolutely educational and many many photos. Many under saddle etc.

Many more people support AK now, realizing that they do what was done centuries ago. As you know, Man changed, horse has not.

I hope you got the AK issue, or at least ordered it now as they have a few copies overprint.

Hansi

Hansi-Heck Melnyk

Posted Image

#38 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:43 PM

Well Hansi, Liz and others, it is NOT over.  I have 4 horses competing this year, with a view of showing to the National level.  All 4 are SE/AK/Asil.  My gelding Aimbri Ibn El Matrabb is being campaigned in Sport Horse in hand and in Sport Horse under saddle and Sport Horse Show Hack, and Western Dressage.  My mare Aimbri Ansarah is being campaigned in Showmanship, Western Dressage and Western Pleasure.  Another mare, Aimbri Fawzia will be campaigned in Sport Horse in hand, and MR halter.  She is also in performance training with a view to being shown under saddle either later this season or next season and my colt Aimbri El Kaream (2 yrs old) will also be campaigned in Sport Horse in hand and MR halter.  Most shows I attend, my horses are the only SE/AK/Asil horses there, but they ARE noticing us and many are asking about the pedigrees and bloodlines.  

Aimbri Ansarah is also shown in Open Competition and has already been to 3 shows this year.  At the latest Open show there were 7 horses in our classes.  She won the Showmanship, the Horsemanship and the Western Pleasure and placed 3rd in the Trail Class, which she had not only never done before, but had never even seen before.  I'm proud to be playing a small part in showing what these horses can actually do both in hand and under saddle.

And not only that, she steps quietly on and off the trailer, stands tied in the holding area with her saddle on (bridle off and with a halter) quietly eating her cubes during the breaks, while the other horses are flipping out around her.  Just showing overall how levelheaded, personable and tractable an Arabian can really be.  

• cauley, Windfall, elsbet and 3 others like this

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

All horses at Aimbri Arabians are SE and AK, and all mares and stallions are LFS, CA and SCID Tested Clear!
Colt:

Aimbri El Kaream (REA El Kaream+ x Tal Imdal by Imperial Imdal+) 2013 grey colt LFS, CA and SCID tested Clear.

Mares:

Tammens Nadira (Tammen x ADH Nadafe by Shukri) 1995 Bay  
Aimbri Ansarah (Aseffa Moniet by Rasmoniet RSI x Zahara Basharah by Ramses Maris) 1996 Bay
MB Faheena (Safeen x AK Bint Fatiha by Moniet El Sharaf) 1997 Ches. 
Aimbri Amira Matrabb (El Matrabb x Dorian Mon Amie by AK Na Moniet) 1998 Ches/Flax 
Aimbri Zaafinah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2004 Ches/Flaxen 
Aimbri Amurra (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2005 Ches. SOLD!
Aimbri Fawzia (Moon Sheine x Tammens Nadira) 2005 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Zakirah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2006 Bay SOLD!
Aimbri Amira Alia (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2006 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Bint Bint Matrabb (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb) 2011 Ches.

2 SE/AK Sweepstakes Nominated Chestnut Geldings by El Matrabb  SOLD! $
Aimbri Emir Hilal (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb by El Matrabb) 2007 Ches. $

#39 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:24 PM

Through the years there were the indications, then strong indications which, for the most part, everyone ignored.

Today comes the dawn awakening for most. One person one area, fine, but take the whole country.  However, maybe a return to the 50's and the 60's is what is needed.

#40 Jill Erisman

Jill Erisman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:The horses.

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:42 AM

Really interesting thread, and thank you Liz for a wonderful

read.  I'm looking greatly forward to the Al Khamsa convention

in Florida, and will be there.  While I can't say much more

about what I know of the program here,  I am attending in support

of Hansi's knowledge of and dedication to these horses, her

constant search for new information, and her willingness to

share her lifetime's education with all of us.

I recall well Shalom Mishkoh+ as a jumper, although there

wasn't really the opportunity to display his complete skill set at the EE

even back all those years.  Les did bring him down at least

one year & I remember seeing him at the KY Horse Park.  I

thought he was a marvelous athlete & could do anything

you asked of him.  What a sweetie!

Oh and the horses of Willis Flick:  visited the farm

in Florida when I was maybe 7 or 8?  Dang my lame memory lol!

I saw El Hilal, Nabiel & Sugaa at the EE several times

in the early years of the show.  I still think El Hilal was one of the

best *Ibn Halima sons I ever saw, and there were always

many on display in those days. As individuals of the SEs, I preferred him,

Ansata El Nisr, Serr Halim++, and Sar Fadl Halim to the others,

but that is just my opinion.  I have seen far more Nabiel get than

Sugaa's, but then he got far more mares.  My faves among the

Nabiel get are Arabest Nafarah and Akid Geshan of those I've

seen in the flesh, but then I always wish I could have seen more.

There are still wonderful pockets of Babson and Pritzlaff horses, as

well as others within the many facets that make up the SE

group that are in the hands of small breeders.  Taken as a

whole with our remaining "larger" breeders, I choose to side with hope.  :)

There are precious few SBEs, and even fewer Pritzlaff horses

that would fit the current SE designation sadly. They follow the overall

trend in Arab horses & SE declining registrations, as do many overall

sub-groups in general....I so agree with you here.

Two current instances come to mind regarding the comment about

modern day Babson & Pritzlaff horses: 

<snip> "Also Dr atkins, Pritzlaf, and of course Babson as well as others. their horses showed

well in performance. There are many Legion of Merit and some

sureme legion of merit champions, but non nowadays. This is so sad. <snip>

Be not sad Liz:  there is hope in the reins of small breeders, and

patience is a virtue.  :)

1) Kahlidah Kamar Rou++

Straight Babson Egyptian mare, AHA # 633832, 2007 Bay,

(Serr Sottam+ X Moulin Rouge Rou by Almoraima Capitan), go Brittany Bartlett & Kahli!

You can find the entirety of her accomplishments & photos to date here, but

check out datasource too. 

http://www.kamararab....com/Kahli.html

2) OT Sara Moniet RSI,  SE + Rabanna, 68.75% Pritzlaff, AHA # 609632 , 2004 Chestnut,

(Rave On Ravenwood X OT Dysara RSI by Drkumo RSI)

"In 2011, the incredible Arabian mare OT Sara Moniet RSI was named the AHA Distance

Horse of the Year by the Arabian Horse Association (AHA). In that year alone, she covered

1,675 competition miles, completed all 31 rides she entered, and had 10 overall wins and

9 Best Conditions. She finished in the top 10 in 30 of those rides – all while carrying over

225 pounds of tack and rider! To cap off her phenomenal year, she was also named American

Endurance Ride Conference’s Distance Horse of the Year, The AHA’s High Point 55-99 mile

Endurance Horse, and was named the Institute for the Desert Arabian Horse’s Drinkers of the

Wind Challenge Champion."

While I realize that this doesn't qualify as "Supreme Legion of Honor" by AHA's

definition, we should appreciate that ultimately, this mare did exactly what the

breed was supremely designed to do.  Whether or not the Association dedicated to the breed

recognizes that, I certainly do and I think others do as well.  Certainly Hansi's bloodlines

have championed this also, and do not need the AHA designation to take other

breeds to task when we all know, nothing can stay with a good Arab horse over

real distances.  The U.S. Calvary knew it, we know it, now why doesn't everyone know it?

Sorry -- on my soapbox for all of us dyed in the wool...where are our horsemen & women

in the association who understand these unique equine athletes and why

are they not promoting this aspect?

I find it extremely disheartening that this write up comes up first on the

web for the Breyer Model cast in this mare's image.  But then perhaps

that is what the breed needs, and we should be thankful that she,

and the Breyer model, are out there, touting the virtues of the world's

greatest war horse.

Thanks for the fun and, May the Horse be with You!

Best,

JillE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users