12 replies to this topic

#1 Oldtimer

Oldtimer

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:35 AM

I am new to all of this -- this site, bloging{whatever that is], but I know I should have older information that some of you might find useful.

My name is Michael Case, and my ex wife [Kiki}and I founded a small ranch in 1969 named Glorieta Ranch, originally in Ariz and then in Texas until 1987.We moved to Texas specifically to be close to Ansata and their Egyptian horses--We first visited them in Chickasha, OK in the late 1960's and were absolutely blown away by their horses--most of their original imported stock was there.  I was surfing the web the other day and came across this site and a discussion of Glorieta. I will tell you that we always appreciated the way Don and Judith Forbis treated us, taught us, and helped us to develop our own small herd of what i believe were exceptional straight Egyptian horse Similar to Ansata  but using some different stock in our own ways as we learned what worked for us.Anyway, I knew The older breeders and their horses, and have some pictures and info that some of you might find interesting. Right now, I need some help. Does anyone remember the "portable' 20 lb. VHS recorders that would record in fuzzy mode for 2 hours or ultra fuzzy mode for 8 hours. I had one of those, and used it on ultra fuzzy mode at Ansata's 25th Anniversary celebration in 1983?maybe 1982. They had recently moved to Arkansas. I have not seen these recordings [the images are pretty fuzzy but the audio, as I remember is pretty good. Presentations were made , of course by the Forbis 2, but also by the then head of the EAO, by Homer Watson, Walter Shimansky, Gerral McCracken, Tom McNair, Jim Kline[I think], etc, etc.There were Ansata horses presented as well as representatives from other breeders. I have two VCR tapesThat are now over 25 years old. I know that no one else recorded this event. There is probably 8-10 hours of presentation over 2 day. I no longer even own a VCR, but if one of you out there knows how to convert VCR to Disc or ? I would be willing to send tapes to whoever as long as it was promised that the resulting discs would be preserved somewhere[with your organization?],and provided to members at either no cost or minimal cost.All I would want is a play ably copy and assurances that the job would get done. Anybody have an interest?

• Windfall, VanAlma and zeplinsmom like this

#2 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Interests:Egyptian & Fadjur bloodlines, pedigree research, dressage, trail riding, Horse Council, 4-H, horses in education, halter and performance

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:49 PM

I would love to have a copy of this. I am sure someone out there can help (Al Khamsa, Sheikh Obeyd?), so the original is copied correctly and not compromised. I visited Ansata in 1985 and took a little bit of super 8 footage and some photos that very few people have seen. We got 2 of our horses from Julie Byfield and Gary Marx, of Rainbow's End Arabians, that I am sure you knew. (They had Ansata El Alim). And for several years we had here on lease Glorieta Monhalim (*Ansata Ibn Halima X AK Monaroufa). He was a very gentle and spectacular horse. Great movement and some of the best legs and feet I have ever seen. A few years ago, I met Ansata El Nisr's human mom here in Las Vegas. I knew it was her (April Johnson), she did not know me. I cried when I introduced myself and said I had always wanted to meet her, again from the connection of the horses. Julie and Gary have spoken of your horses, and I have seen pictures of some of your horses, and know the pedigrees, so am glad to see you here.........Regards, as Julia would say.

#3 An American Breeder

An American Breeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:46 AM

You go Marilee.  Put his together and Julie's, even if thru Al Khamsa, what a wonderful history and educational tool! 

#4 Oldtimer

Oldtimer

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:41 AM

Marilee:
Thank u for your response. I did not mention this, but I also live in Las Vegas(Summerlin). Perhaps we can do some collaboration to dig up old info. I just talked to my ex and have ask her to find whatever info she can provide me--somewhere she has 8mm and super8 of places all over the US-- the Marshall horses at last two locations, of course Ansata, one of the nicest couples I've ever know Tom and Zell Atkinson of Anchor Hill etc,etc, plus non Egyptian farms--Jack Tones in the late 60's or early 70's( I noticed your interest in Fajur-one of our first purchases was a double Fajur daughter) ,Basey Tankerslys place in Tucson, etc. we'll see what she can put her hands on after 30 years of storage. And of course lots of Glorieta stuff. She took it all( most) when we divorced, and I have not been involved with Arabians since, although I have fond memories daily. Anyway, would you be interested in collaboration with me to save some of these old time historical items ?
I need a good project.

#5 Oldtimer

Oldtimer

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:36 AM

Marilee
I have now managed to convert these old tapes to DVDS. As suspected, the video is poor - not just fuzzy but often too dark to get good look at horses, but most of the audio is clear and distinct. There are very interesting presentations by Judy, McCracken, and Walter Schmanski. Many horses are shown , demonstrating line breeding, inbreeding, and strain breeding. And lots of the horses can be seen clearly. Anyway, if you're interested, I'll make you copies to evaluate , copy, and distribute. Just tell me where to send. As I said last time I have a lot of additional film and info coming from Kiki soon, and I'm going to make that a project. This 25th celebration was done Sept?, 1983. let me know of your interest. I am happy to send you a copy at no charge, and anticipate copying future material and want to distribute with no monetary gain, just historical. I just need u or someone in your organization to decide if the historical info is of use, and to distribute as appropriate.
  • zeplinsmom likes this

#6 Nadj Al Nur

Nadj Al Nur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts
  • Interests:Horses
    Art (painting and teaching)
    Writing

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:03 PM

Michael, you might want to contact Jeanne Craver. There is a project afoot to archive all such information as this in a digital library which will be available to everyone. The project is HUGE and world wide. Send me a PM if you would like to have her contact information.

Cathy 

• VanAlma likes this

Posted Image

#7 Oldtimer

Oldtimer

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:33 AM

Cathy, thank u. I have no idea how to send u a PM, OR HOW TO CONTACT ANYBODY ON THIS SITE, I AM NOT EXACTLY "IT" STRONG. Tell me how to accomplish contact, or how to get in the conversation. Is Joanne Craver related to Charles? Anyway, I have nothing to hide and can always change my email address, which is currently michaelcasesr@me.com. Pls have someone help me with directions if there is an interest in what I might have to contribute.There is nowhere I've found to learn how to navigate this site.

#8 Oldtimer

Oldtimer

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:44 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean Joanne Craver but Jeanne Craver, as Cathy indicated. pls don't take offense

#9 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:30 PM

How wonderful! I sent you an email. Welcome :)

• Oldtimer likes this

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#10 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Interests:Egyptian & Fadjur bloodlines, pedigree research, dressage, trail riding, Horse Council, 4-H, horses in education, halter and performance

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:34 PM

Hi, Michael. I wrote to you about my upcoming open "horse", and will invite everyone here when I have more time to write about it. Will be on Sat. October 17.

#11 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:17 PM

Dear Michael, I have tried to find you (email, phone, regular mail......), but have not been successful, to invite you to the open house (open horse) on 10/17 and to work on sharing your videos. So if you see this, or if anyone else can contact him, thank you for helping.

#12 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:42 PM

Still have not been able to find Michael here in Las Vegas.

#13 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:06 AM

Same as above. Would like to connect, but no luck yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users