• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenixx

Phoenixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:I am completely new to the world of the Straight Egyptian. I have always loved Arabians, and I own 2 that are polish bred. I have recently acquired a Straight Egyptian stallion and I plan on breeding and building up my own straight egyptian farm. My equine children are MSU Sweet Justice (Hucklebey Berry x Pasketta), PM Soulstice (Solstice x MS Kora), and Ibn El Norus (El Norus x Maar Halima). I have done most of the training of my horses myself, and I am using Parelli Natural Horsemanship methods with them.

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:39 PM

I have a question for all of you that show- how do you groom/clip your arabians in preparation for a show?  Face, ears, bridle path, legs, etc.  I've been researching it a bit online and I'm seeing some variations, so I'd like to hear y'all's opinions on it.

"The wind of heaven, is that which blows between a horses ears."- Arabian Proverb
"A canter is a cure for every evil"- Benjamin Diraeli
"To ride a horse, is to ride the sky."- unknown
"In riding a horse, we borrow freedom."- Helen Thomson
"There is no secret so close, as that between a rider and his horse." Robert Smth Surtees
"No hour of life is wasted, that is spent in the saddle."- Winston Churchill
"The horse is God's gift to mankind."- Arabian Proverb
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people." ~W.C. Fields

#2 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:31 AM

It depends upon what class you're in.  I show in Main Ring Halter, Sport Horse in Hand, Showmanship, Western Dressage, Western Pleasure, Western Horsemanship and a variety of other disciplines in both Open and AHA shows, to the National level.  It depends upon the discipline, the level of show, whether you have a purebred or partbred.  Let me know your plans, and I'll help you as best I can.  

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

All horses at Aimbri Arabians are SE and AK, and all mares and stallions are LFS, CA and SCID Tested Clear!
Colt:

Aimbri El Kaream (REA El Kaream+ x Tal Imdal by Imperial Imdal+) 2013 grey colt LFS, CA and SCID tested Clear.

Mares:

Tammens Nadira (Tammen x ADH Nadafe by Shukri) 1995 Bay  
Aimbri Ansarah (Aseffa Moniet by Rasmoniet RSI x Zahara Basharah by Ramses Maris) 1996 Bay
MB Faheena (Safeen x AK Bint Fatiha by Moniet El Sharaf) 1997 Ches. 
Aimbri Amira Matrabb (El Matrabb x Dorian Mon Amie by AK Na Moniet) 1998 Ches/Flax 
Aimbri Zaafinah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2004 Ches/Flaxen 
Aimbri Amurra (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2005 Ches. SOLD!
Aimbri Fawzia (Moon Sheine x Tammens Nadira) 2005 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Zakirah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2006 Bay SOLD!
Aimbri Amira Alia (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2006 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Bint Bint Matrabb (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb) 2011 Ches.

2 SE/AK Sweepstakes Nominated Chestnut Geldings by El Matrabb  SOLD! $
Aimbri Emir Hilal (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb by El Matrabb) 2007 Ches. $

#3 Phoenixx

Phoenixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:I am completely new to the world of the Straight Egyptian. I have always loved Arabians, and I own 2 that are polish bred. I have recently acquired a Straight Egyptian stallion and I plan on breeding and building up my own straight egyptian farm. My equine children are MSU Sweet Justice (Hucklebey Berry x Pasketta), PM Soulstice (Solstice x MS Kora), and Ibn El Norus (El Norus x Maar Halima). I have done most of the training of my horses myself, and I am using Parelli Natural Horsemanship methods with them.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

I have a Polish bred gelding and an SE/AK stallion that I am planning on starting to show.  I am looking to do Western Pleasure, Showmanship, Sporthorse In-Hand, possibly some Breeding In-hand classes with the stallion, Hunter Pleasure, and maybe a couple of other classes that I haven't decided on yet.  I've come across several variations of what seems to be the same general idea.  I've also been told by someone that clipping is not allowed at all for SE's.  I haven't seen that stated anywhere, so I am curious if that is true or not.  Thank you so much for your reply!

"The wind of heaven, is that which blows between a horses ears."- Arabian Proverb
"There is no secret so close, as that between a rider and his horse." Robert Smth Surtees
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people." ~W.C. Fields

#4 Aimbri

Aimbri

Jeannette

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:49 AM

Hi.  I've shown several SE stallions, in both sport horse and in Main Ring Halter.  I clip them the same as I would those of other Arabian breeding, dependent on the class.  I trim the ears, bridlepath, the face and muzzle . . . I do NOT bald them.  I trim the fetlock hairs, also.  For Showmanship, grooming is key.  Stallions are NOT allowed in Showmanship, so this will be for your gelding.  Meticulously clean, and brushed.  A small amount of babyoil on the muzzle area.  Clean the rectal area, and apply a small about of baby oil, just enough to bring out the dark skin in that area.  For stallion or gelding, clean the sheath area if at all possible.  In Showmanship, your horse should reflect your attire, and vice versa.  So, if you show in Western attire, the horse should not be braided.  If you show in hunter, the horse can be braided.  In Sport Horse, Dressage Type, Dressage Bridle and braided.  In Hunter Type, Hunter Bridle, and braided.  Horses 2 yrs and under do not have to have a bit, 3 and over need to have a bit.  Take a look at the rules on the AHA site.  Hope this helps.  :)

• Marilee and Phoenixx like this

Jeannette
Aimbri Arabians
Visit My Website

All horses at Aimbri Arabians are SE and AK, and all mares and stallions are LFS, CA and SCID Tested Clear!
Colt:

Aimbri El Kaream (REA El Kaream+ x Tal Imdal by Imperial Imdal+) 2013 grey colt LFS, CA and SCID tested Clear.

Mares:

Tammens Nadira (Tammen x ADH Nadafe by Shukri) 1995 Bay  
Aimbri Ansarah (Aseffa Moniet by Rasmoniet RSI x Zahara Basharah by Ramses Maris) 1996 Bay
MB Faheena (Safeen x AK Bint Fatiha by Moniet El Sharaf) 1997 Ches. 
Aimbri Amira Matrabb (El Matrabb x Dorian Mon Amie by AK Na Moniet) 1998 Ches/Flax 
Aimbri Zaafinah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2004 Ches/Flaxen 
Aimbri Amurra (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2005 Ches. SOLD!
Aimbri Fawzia (Moon Sheine x Tammens Nadira) 2005 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Zakirah (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Ansarah) 2006 Bay SOLD!
Aimbri Amira Alia (Moon Sheine x MB Faheena) 2006 Ches/Flaxen
Aimbri Bint Bint Matrabb (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb) 2011 Ches.

2 SE/AK Sweepstakes Nominated Chestnut Geldings by El Matrabb  SOLD! $
Aimbri Emir Hilal (Moon Sheine x Aimbri Amira Matrabb by El Matrabb) 2007 Ches. $

#5 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Interests:Egyptian & Fadjur bloodlines, pedigree research, dressage, trail riding, Horse Council, 4-H, horses in education, halter and performance

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:42 AM

Great advice. We used to show our stallion in showmanship in open shows too...Never body clipped, just similar to what she said above. Not much oil or grease. Just conditioner on mane and tail. Use that blue shampoo on your greys. It makes a huge difference to make it whiter or silver and take out any yellow. At the Egyptian Event, they (The Pyramid Society ) stated and had a meeting before the show as to their (judges/stewards) reinforcement of the rules regarding certain grooming techniques and shanking/stressing out the horses. I love the bloodlines on your Ibn El Norus. He has some quite rare lines, so I hope people notice that. (would love to see his pedigree again).  Having a clean horse is huge, and presentation/calmness/following the rules of the class is huge. Some judges will like your horse and some will not, but the thing would be to place every time, and that would be great. And if you are proud of what your horse looks like and how they/you did. Always did like the French braid (mane only) on a lovely Arabian. Try to keep the tail long and full, but if braided beforehand take it down way before the class and brush it out, full and clean, but not a kinky look. Too long or too short detracts from the horse. Well fitted halter, small chain underneath, long lead.  Large egg-butt Snaffle bit, and double bridle later on, some kimberwickes look nice in the bridle. Horse needs to have a quiet head and mouth, whether in hand or under saddle.

We clipped with more of a 30 or sometimes 15, and did not closely shave anywhere. Just used those blades to blend the clipped hair into the unclipped areas. Otherwise it looks too weird and not blended in. Plus they might be itchy.

Edited by Marilee, 07 January 2017 - 01:50 AM.

• Phoenixx likes this

#6 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Interests:Egyptian & Fadjur bloodlines, pedigree research, dressage, trail riding, Horse Council, 4-H, horses in education, halter and performance

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:52 AM

I am cracking up that of all the people in the world who could give you ideas right now, the last 2 have lovingly and for a very long life, both owned El Hilal sons (*Ansata Ibn Halima X Bint Nefisaa).  :) One of the coolest things I ever saw was the video by Ron Palelek called "Preparing the Halter Horse to Show" (filmed at Vantage Point many years ago. We watched him show many horses over the years and he really knew how to prep and show a horse. Awesome at performance too (English and Western). Also Mike Neal that many years ago (in the 80s), and he is still showing halter. He was and is also superb. So maybe find pictures of either of these gentlemen from long ago or even now and see if you can notice these traits and skills of showing back then and now. You still want elegance and following the rules of the class you are in.

:wub: In loving memory of   my Hishah REA by El Hilal,    and Jeannette's Moon Sheine by El Hilal. :wub:

• Phoenixx likes this

#7 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:01 AM

Haha. So I went to Jeannette's website to see more pix of her new young "man" and there I see French braid. We did most of our training in a regular halter here at home, and then used the Arabian show bridle, with  small chain under the head only, not over the nose, for show. Some people again use the horse in a bridle when they do the in- hand. Have to watch the rules. And what your horse likes best for his age group and division.

#8 Phoenixx

Phoenixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

What is considered to be "too long" as far as tails go?  My gelding has a long tail- it drags on the ground by at least 18 inches right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users