410 replies to this topic

#401 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

Just popped on here to find the link to send to someone to read and noticed your comment, Sheila. Thanks for the info :)
I also spoke to a primarily Crabbet breeder who likes a dose of Egyptian here and there and got a Ravenwood mare, tail female BEB as well as elsewhere, who is terribly affected and had affected foals before she knew what was happening. Ravenwood never disclosed that there is an issue with the line and would not take the mare back. Talk about a terrlble mark for Egyptian horses and breeders. I want to thank everyone who has shared their stories and experiences honestly.
  • AWANA likes this

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#402 1rider

1rider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Yes, from what I understand RG Sherifa had it and passed it on....

#403 senza

senza

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

Has there been any positive progress on finding a test for this condition? There was also mention of it occuring in non BeB horses with alternate lines to Medallela. Could someone please elaborate on that? Thank you.

#404 zeplinsmom

zeplinsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

I was hoping by now that someone would've posted a video to show what the "hop" looks like. It would help to identify possible affected horses and distinguish this condition from other issues.

• Fudge likes this

Introducing OSIRION (Omar Saalim x Mysteekh), 2011 grey stallion prospect

NUHA STAR BENNU (Sabbataz JA x Starlite Duchess), 2013 grey Egyptian-sired colt

STARLITE DUCHESS (Bahim of Century x Jemima of Century), 1998 black Egyptian-related mare

MSU DREAMS ASWIRL AM (AM Clem Dreamon x AM Swirling Star) 2009 grey mare IFT Trueblue Goldmine+++// for 2014

ZEPLIN (CR Royale Sands x CR Lady Lilac), 2006 chestnut tobiano gelding

#405 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

I would like one, too, however I don't think it will happen  :5298_orcspash:

• zeplinsmom likes this

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#406 senza

senza

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

For starters, you need to identify that something's not quite right before it goes as far as the hop. Rear end ataxia, even mild. Onset of vague, out-of-character behaviour. We need to be willing to think 'outside the box', like, if you see those signs but the pedigree's not quite right, i.e. another similar line. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck ... it just might be a duck. A video would be nice, but what's really needed is a test. And not limited to BeB. 

• VanAlma likes this

#407 zeplinsmom

zeplinsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

I still think video of several different horses with what is clearly known to be the BeB hop would be greatly helpful. I watched a promotional video of a stallion that had something very strange going on when he transitioned into a canter or turned. Watching it made me wonder if it was the "hop" (and yes, he does have a line to BeB). Truly something is "off" there, and I really would like to know exactly what I'm seeing.

Introducing OSIRION (Omar Saalim x Mysteekh), 2011 grey stallion prospect

NUHA STAR BENNU (Sabbataz JA x Starlite Duchess), 2013 grey Egyptian-sired colt

STARLITE DUCHESS (Bahim of Century x Jemima of Century), 1998 black Egyptian-related mare

MSU DREAMS ASWIRL AM (AM Clem Dreamon x AM Swirling Star) 2009 grey mare IFT Trueblue Goldmine+++// for 2014

ZEPLIN (CR Royale Sands x CR Lady Lilac), 2006 chestnut tobiano gelding

#408 VanAlma

VanAlma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

For starters, you need to identify that something's not quite right before it goes as far as the hop. Rear end ataxia, even mild. Onset of vague, out-of-character behaviour. We need to be willing to think 'outside the box', like, if you see those signs but the pedigree's not quite right, i.e. another similar line. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck ... it just might be a duck. A video would be nice, but what's really needed is a test. And not limited to BeB. 

Which line are you suggesting? 

Van Alma Arabians
Find us on Facebook!

#409 Angella

Angella

Pied Piper of Hamelin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

It is, imo, very difficult to identify the el bataa hop from heavily edited promotional video.  However, the hop does not, from what I've seen, involve rolling back on the hind end and leaping forward.  Nor does it involve a rolling fetlock as the horse leaps, from a stand, away from something.  That motion is in all lines.

There is video out there - I've found it, but without permission from the owners of the horses just cannot link to it.  What I have seen in these videos is:

• While most horses seem to stop or slow down using their hind ends, the el bataa horses commonly seem to stop by bracing their front ends - and not because they're racing up to something like a fence.
  • When running along a fence and changing direction, they dance or take more steps on the hind end than would seem normal.  Just seeing a horse do this is not necessarily indicative of the hop, but is a symptom I've seen in video.
  • By far the most definitive "in pasture" symptom I've seen involves transitioning up - typically from a trot to a canter.  You're looking for a misfire.  It can be subtle, but can be so bizarre looking that it is very hard to miss. 

Sultan Court Arabians

Home of:
Stallions
Nejd's Alcahim (Masada el Bahim x GEA Alcia)

Mares
Nejd's Bintbint Tuhotmos (Masada el Bahim x AK Farah)

Adia Daal Aba (Sir Habbas Pasha x Fa Star Jasmine)

#410 AWANA

AWANA

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Straight Egyptians, Arabians, Horses...
    Did I mention Horses...?

Books; fantasy, farm life, Arabians,
    Astrology, Divination ...
    Natural Health, Reiki
    Alternative/Complementary Medicine
    Critical Care Nursing
    cooking, canning etc

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:36 AM

Has anything further been done on the proposed study? Several people said they were sending samples....

All World Acres Natural Arabians
Featuring the Straight Egyptian stallions
Bakit TF (*Waheeb x Amira Moniet {*Tuhotmos})
Talal Moon (Farid Nile Moon x Tasaqqara {Ibn Morafic})

#411 Fudge

Fudge

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:15 AM

I just found and read this whole thread.  Has anything come of it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users